Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unbelievable , potentially 6 pbc PPVs in 2019??Crazy.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPV is dead

........ doe

Comment

Originally posted by andocom View Post
      The $20 UK comment was relevent to what Hearn said, he didn't say PPV was dead outright, he said the $70+ PPV in the US is dead because the dazn model made it untenable, with dazn a month is $20 a year is $100. I think people view $20 as impulse buy, not so $70.
      I don't think thats been proven yet is the thing. And the fact that Spence, Manny & Wilder have all had 300k+ buy fights in the recent 6ish months suggest this isn't close to being decided.

I mean look at the facts 800k-ish people paid $10-$20 to watch the biggest PPV star in boxing, Canelo, earlier this month which is $8M-$16M in revenue & 360k paid $65-$75 to watch Spence vs Garcia which is $23M-$27M in revenue. Last I checked $23M is better than $8M.

I think streaming is the future, but I don't necessarily believe DAZN is the future. DAZN has a long way to go still.

You seem to think losing the biggest US PPV star is somehow good for PPV.
      I think its neutral to PPV. Its not good or bad. Canelo is making his money either way. DAZN is the one who needs 1 + 1 to equal 7 here. And so far as the numbers above say DAZN is paying Canelo $33M per fight average & the Jacobs fight generated $8M to $16M in revenue. So that more or less means DAZN lost $17M-$25M on that Canelo fight.

DAZN is the one with more to prove in this equation then PPV needs to prove its worth lets be serious brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I don't think thats been proven yet is the thing. And the fact that Spence, Manny & Wilder have all had 300k+ buy fights in the recent 6ish months suggest this isn't close to being decided.

I mean look at the facts 800k-ish people paid $10-$20 to watch the biggest PPV star in boxing, Canelo, earlier this month which is $8M-$16M in revenue & 360k paid $65-$75 to watch Spence vs Garcia which is $23M-$27M in revenue. Last I checked $23M is better than $8M.

I think streaming is the future, but I don't necessarily believe DAZN is the future. DAZN has a long way to go still.

I think its neutral to PPV. Its not good or bad. Canelo is making his money either way. DAZN is the one who needs 1 + 1 to equal 7 here. And so far as the numbers above say DAZN is paying Canelo $33M per fight average & the Jacobs fight generated $8M to $16M in revenue. So that more or less means DAZN lost $17M-$25M on that Canelo fight.

DAZN is the one with more to prove in this equation then PPV needs to prove its worth lets be serious brother.
        According to fat boy Dan Canelo/Jacobs generated way more the. 8-16M. The fight generated more then 48M in new subscription revenue. It easily generated more then Spence/Garcia. You are not accounting for people who paid $99 for yearly subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
          I think the first $30-$35 took place in 1991. A Holyfield fight I think. I posted it here a few months ago. I think $35 in 1991 equals $75 in 2018 I believe.
          We're essentially paying the same as we were 30 years ago.
          Not all PPVs were that price like I said back as early as 2005 you had 19.99 PPVs, $25 PPVs, $30 PPVS, and $40 PPVS. Not sure why you going back to 1991 and trying to use inflation lol I know this for a fact because i remember when a fight was announced on PPV I would be like phuk then next question was well let me wait and see what the price is. And depending on the how good the fight was and the price I would by it. I know I made many last minute buys on the strength of well the price isn't that bad for low level fights. The problem today is PPVs are all price gauged. Hell just look at UFC PPVS they cheaper around 50 bucks. UK PPVs are around 20 bucks. So it's not just how many they are in 2019 it's also the price they have NEVER been more expensive and they are on avg about double the price it was 10-15 years ago.
          Last edited by bigdunny1; 05-30-2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

What are you even talking about?

With Canelo exiting the PPV market there is a bunch of PPV marketshare to pick up for those that look for PPV fights. I think PBC moving to PPV is a weird move partially cuz I always thought part of their business model was making fights more accessible, but I also think with Canelo leaving being the new "HBO PPV" like entity putting on regular PPV's is a smart money grab.

PPV isn't dead regardless of what DAZN & Eddie are telling you. Ironically for Eddie as he's selling PPV's in the UK.
            Potentially 6 ppvs in a year is what I'm talking about......that's flooding the market. Not hard to comprehend.

Comment

I'm not saying its not in play but its worth noting that 5 PPV's at $80 works out to the same money as 13 PPV's at $30. And I did look up the Mercer vs Briggs & Rahman vs Barrett PPV's & they were both $30. No clue if that's high, low or average for that time doe.
              Yeah that's my point back then PPV prices were all over the map. Sure a big name in a big fight were more then 30 but a lot of those PPVS weren't. All these PPVs we talking about here are starting at 80 bucks and many of them are not even competitive fights on paper, have no undercard to speak of or don't feature a proven ppv fighter hell many of these guys are not even selling out venues. A lot of these fights wouldn't of been PPV just a year or 2 ago.

For example Danny Garcia vs Thurman, Porter were bigger fights NONE on PPV. But Danny vs Mikey Garcia who just shyt the bed against Spence now you telling fans pay 80 bucks after fans were screaming I want my money back after Mikey just quit and stunk up the joint his last fight out? In 2005 you wouldn't even think about putting a guy like Mikey back on a PPV his next fight out with the stink still on him.

Comment

I'm not paying for them anyway. Can't get Showtime or Fox in my country. Will watch it the next day

Comment

Originally posted by El_Mero View Post
                  Potentially 6 ppvs in a year is what I'm talking about......that's flooding the market. Not hard to comprehend.
                  I'd argue you'd need more than 6 PPV's a year to "flood the market" as you say. So what you are saying doesn't even make any sense if you've been following PPV since its inception.

There has been 8-13 PPV's numerous years. Its whatever. The good ones sell, the bad ones don't & the rest lie somewhere in the middle. Its whatever. No flooding the market lol.

It has been slow as of late in fairness & its been slow at various points in PPV history, but right now thats cuz Floyd retired without passing the PPV torch & Manny isn't selling as well as he used to & most of these other cats aren't PPV ready. PBC is getting some guys PPV packaged now it seems doe so expect 6+ PPV's a year for awhile unless they shift their model.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                    According to fat boy Dan Canelo/Jacobs generated way more the. 8-16M. The fight generated more then 48M in new subscription revenue. It easily generated more then Spence/Garcia. You are not accounting for people who paid $99 for yearly subscription.
                    I'm just saying in flat numbers with the people who actually watched the fight thats what it equals out to.

How many people stick around after the Canelo fight month is a debate we can't have cuz we don't have the info. And how many people are yearly subscribers because of Canelo is another debate we can't have cuz we don't have the info.

The debate we can have is what those 800k people who watched the fight generated in live revenue that was because of Canelo cuz they were watching Canelo. Everything else is wide speculation.

And the reality is til DAZN can't get 1.6M to 3.3M people watching every Canelo fight they are losing money on this Canelo investment in direct numbers. The whole upside Canelo brings to DAZN is a whole other debate & we'd have to have internal DAZN documents & do some meta sh^t to figure out the true value Canelo brings to DAZN just like we'd have to do with Floyd when he signed that big Showtime 6 fight deal & before they have the Manny fight that surely made that deal well worth it in numbers.

Comment

I'd argue you'd need more than 6 PPV's a year to "flood the market" as you say. So what you are saying doesn't even make any sense if you've been following PPV since its inception.

There has been 8-13 PPV's numerous years. Its whatever. The good ones sell, the bad ones don't & the rest lie somewhere in the middle. Its whatever. No flooding the market lol.

It has been slow as of late in fairness & its been slow at various points in PPV history, but right now thats cuz Floyd retired without passing the PPV torch & Manny isn't selling as well as he used to & most of these other cats aren't PPV ready. PBC is getting some guys PPV packaged now it seems doe so expect 6+ PPV's a year for awhile unless they shift their model.
                      I get what youre saying. I just feel that for such a niche sport, 6 is too much. Now, if those 6 were don kingesque type of cards, Id have no problem with it, but theyre not. At the end of the day we usually get quantity, not quality. And usually a reason illegal streams are the norm now

Comment

Working...
                      X