No announcement yet.

Push ups & abs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eastbound View Post
    Yes I agree with this. If you can do 100 pushups at a time, then you should be on your way to doing them every day. If you start to get sore you need to take a day or two off. Same with sit
    ups. There are lots of variations on push ups as well. Hands together, hands far apart, hands shifted towards the waist. I like to do 5 sets of 20 each different variations.
    I forget which fight, maybe Tyson, did 1000 a day. That's a crazy pace.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      I forget which fight, maybe Tyson, did 1000 a day. That's a crazy pace.
      Tyson was a beast. In his earlier career without steroids he was quick, then he took too much of them and bulked up, slowed down, and began to get tagged way to much.

Comment

Originally posted by Tariq☆233 View Post
        Is it over training to do 100 push ups ,100 situps along with the ab wheel to failure every morning?
        For most people, yes.

Very generally, you can divide your boxing training into three overlapping* categories: 1) technique, 2) endurance or "conditioning" or "cardio" and 3) strength.

1) Technique--by itself--if you take the other two out of the equation--can be worked every day and for many hours per day. Think for example of a professional violin player or pianist practicing all day long.

2) Endurance or "conditioning" or "cardio" can be worked on a daily basis as well. The heart is the ultimate slow-twitch muscle; in sports where the trauma to the muscles is kept to a minimum--cycling, for example--hours of daily training at a relatively low intensity is the norm.

3) Strength training, on the other hand, involves subjecting the skeletal muscles to high levels of tension and typically fatigue as well; this stress damages the muscles in question; for the muscles to repair themselves and grow slightly stronger than they were previously requires that they have sufficient time to heal--significantly more than is needed for #1 & #2. Drew Baye discusses this in the second half of this video: https://youtu.be/WEX0s9Q6AzI?t=3m40s

*One can never entirely separate these categories. If you do an Arthur Jones-style weight training session, you are hitting 2 & 3 at once. If you do 12 rounds of sparring, you are hitting 1 & 2 at once. And so on.
        Last edited by GelfSara; 07-08-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GelfSara View Post
          For most people, yes.

Very generally, you can divide your boxing training into three overlapping* categories: 1) technique, 2) endurance or "conditioning" or "cardio" and 3) strength.

1) Technique--by itself--if you take the other two out of the equation--can be worked every day and for many hours per day. Think for example of a professional violin player or pianist practicing all day long.

2) Endurance or "conditioning" or "cardio" can be worked on a daily basis as well. The heart is the ultimate slow-twitch muscle; in sports where the trauma to the muscles is kept to a minimum--cycling, for example--hours of daily training at a relatively low intensity is the norm.

3) Strength training, on the other hand, involves subjecting the skeletal muscles to high levels of tension and typically fatigue as well; this stress damages the muscles in question; for the muscles to repair themselves and grow slightly stronger than they were previously requires that they have sufficient time to heal--significantly more than is needed for #1 & #2. Drew Baye discusses this in the second half of this video: https://youtu.be/WEX0s9Q6AzI?t=3m40s

*One can never entirely separate these categories. If you do an Arthur Jones-style weight training session, you are hitting 2 & 3 at once. If you do 12 rounds of sparring, you are hitting 1 & 2 at once. And so on.
          I actually used to do that much, when I was younger. Now it's too much for me.

Comment

I actually used to do that much, when I was younger. Now it's too much for me.
            I can relate; when I look back at what I could get away with many years ago in terms of training volume and frequency vs. today the difference is pretty dramatic.

Pro boxing is unusual, though, in that one is "tested" on only one performance lasting less than one hour, with breaks of months or more between fights, so IF one learns to adapt one's training to aging it is possible to perform at a high level into one's mid-30s and beyond more easily than is likely to be the case with sports that require very frequent competition such as tennis, the NBA, etc.

Provided one still has a functioning brain, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
              Tyson was a beast. In his earlier career without steroids he was quick, then he took too much of them and bulked up, slowed down, and began to get tagged way to much.
              I believe Tyson was slower and less effective after prison, and I believe he used PEDs after prison and he certainly did lift weights after prison.

I do not, however, view the relationship between Tyson's weight-training and steroid use and his poorer performances in the ring as causative; in other words, I don't believe Tyson was a relatively crappy fighter after prison because of either "roids" or "iron" but because he was indifferent to training properly for boxing, didn't have a trainer he trusted and listened to, was depressed, abusing substances, etc.

While none of Tyson's post-prison performances were comparable to the Tyson of 87-88, if I wished, I could make a case that the post-prison Tyson who looked most obviously like an athlete who both lifted and juiced was vastly superior in speed/power than the post-prison Tyson who looked less impressive.

Comment

I believe Tyson was slower and less effective after prison, and I believe he used PEDs after prison and he certainly did lift weights after prison.

I do not, however, view the relationship between Tyson's weight-training and steroid use and his poorer performances in the ring as causative; in other words, I don't believe Tyson was a relatively crappy fighter after prison because of either "roids" or "iron" but because he was indifferent to training properly for boxing, didn't have a trainer he trusted and listened to, was depressed, abusing substances, etc.

While none of Tyson's post-prison performances were comparable to the Tyson of 87-88, if I wished, I could make a case that the post-prison Tyson who looked most obviously like an athlete who both lifted and juiced was vastly superior in speed/power than the post-prison Tyson who looked less impressive.
                What makes you think he juiced?

Comment

What makes you think he juiced?

Anabolic steroids act as what Scott Connelly, inventor of the hugely popular 1st meal replacement product (MRP) for athletes--Met-Rx--called a "repartitioning agent".

In other words, if you eat 3000 calories per day and your bodyweight and bodyfat percentage are stable week after week at that dietary energy intake, and then I come along and give you 40mgs per day of Oral-Turinabol for 6 weeks while keeping your diet constant, during those 6 weeks your bodyfat will decrease and your muscle mass will increase.

Anabolic steroids "partition" more of your dietary energy into muscle, and less into bodyfat.

This is one of the most attractive features of anabolic steroids and why so many fitness models, actors--not to mention actual athletes--love them.

What made me suspect Tyson used anabolics after prison was the fact that for a few of his post-prison fights he seemed to be carrying both more muscle and less bodyfat than pre-prison.

While the added muscle could easily be explained by the addition of weight training to his regimen, for a heavyweight boxer who was unquestionably less dedicated after prison than before--not to mention older--to suddenly have "ripped abs" for the first time in his life certainly made me suspect something else was going on...
                  Last edited by GelfSara; 08-11-2018, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Anabolic steroids act as what Scott Connelly, inventor of the hugely popular 1st meal replacement product (MRP) for athletes--Met-Rx--called a "repartitioning agent".

In other words, if you eat 3000 calories per day and your bodyweight and bodyfat percentage are stable week after week at that dietary energy intake, and then I come along and give you 40mgs per day of Oral-Turinabol for 6 weeks while keeping your diet constant, during those 6 weeks your bodyfat will decrease and your muscle mass will increase.

Anabolic steroids "partition" more of your dietary energy into muscle, and less into bodyfat.

This is one of the most attractive features of anabolic steroids and why so many fitness models, actors--not to mention actual athletes--love them.

What made me suspect Tyson used anabolics after prison was the fact that for a few of his post-prison fights he seemed to be carrying both more muscle and less bodyfat than pre-prison.

While the added muscle could easily be explained by the addition of weight training to his regimen, for a heavyweight boxer who was unquestionably less dedicated after prison than before--not to mention older--to suddenly have "ripped abs" for the first time in his life certainly made me suspect something else was going on...
                    I wonder if Mia St. John will out him next.

Comment

I figured out one thing that if anyone is looking for burning fat and building abs than Mountain Climber is the best option, do it for 20 minutes and you will feel the burn and if you want to make them solid rock than Hanging Leg raise and Knee raise is the best option.

Comment

Working...
                      X