No announcement yet.

P4P Underrated Punchers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadman View Post
    At heavyweight I definitely think Evander gets a bit shortchanged. Recorded Mercer's first ever KD, stopped Tyson, badly stunned Foreman and was just generally a very sharp and dangerous puncher. Briggs and McCline were both huge punchers when they wanted to be. Danny Williams and Lamon Brewster had underrated power. Williams several time turned big fights around with one or two good shots, even knocked out a guy one handed.

williams and my man brewster could both flippin bang and are unsung warriors.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      back in his day however he had a huge right hand
      just a huge punch.

people forget it. that's why i think it's underrated personally

he throws two real straight right hands in this entire fight with real extension and leverage. the others he loops a bit and uses his hand more than his knuckles (a bit like he throws them today,)

both through the guard, both during the finish.

that's huge punch. he hasn't hit like that since before his layoff
      Just out of interest, which fight were you referring to here?

many people around here do overrated his power, especially today, so i can see what you mean. i think it's because of how many knockouts he has. he hardly uses his knuckles today, and basically exhausts his opponents into giving up or selling out and being broken down.
      Vit throws a weird looking right hand now, kind of like how Maskaev used to throw his with the elbow bent up toward the ceiling. Almost like doing an overhand stroke in the front crawl. Don't know if it's age or technique or compensation for something but it really doesn't pack as much of a wallop as the old one.

Comment

williams and my man brewster could both flippin bang and are unsung warriors.
        Definitely!

Comment

Just out of interest, which fight were you referring to here?

Vit throws a weird looking right hand now, kind of like how Maskaev used to throw his with the elbow bent up toward the ceiling. Almost like doing an overhand stroke in the front crawl. Don't know if it's age or technique or compensation for something but it really doesn't pack as much of a wallop as the old one.

lol my bad i meant to edit it and put the clip in there and i kept forgettting the damn video

kirk johnson
          it's up there now.

two huge right hands with some mustard on them down the center

Comment

I've got to say, Ricky Hatton rarely gets mentioned as a big puncher. At 140 he was a beast, tremendously explosive and capable of pounding fighters' bodies to pulp. He broke four of Castillo's ribs with a single shot, had Tszyu moving back under his relentless onslaught for eleven rounds and knocked out the tough Carlos Maussa with one of the nastiest left hooks I've seen. Not the greatest 140lb puncher in the world I grant you, but worthy of a mention I think. Judah was another very good one punch puncher at welterweight.

Comment

lol my bad i meant to edit it and put the clip in there and i kept forgettting the damn video

kirk johnson
              it's up there now.

can't beat a long hard right with a bit of mustard on it can you

Comment

kirk johnson
                it's up there now.

I remember that. The last right hand looked like it impaled Kirk right in the face, it was just a nasty shot. Gotta mention the Herbie Hide fight as well. Hide's chin was pretty crap to be fair, but Vit looked like he knocked him into a coma with his shots. That wasn't something Bowe was able to do over six rounds despite knocking Hide down about a half dozen times.

Comment

These guys were mentioned in another thread and I don't know if they'd be considered underrated or just little known, but both Wayne Alexander and Ezra Sellers had some of the best one shot power for their divisions that I can recall.

Plenty of quotes from other fighters to back up their power as well.

Comment

At heavyweight I definitely think Evander gets a bit shortchanged. Recorded Mercer's first ever KD, stopped Tyson, badly stunned Foreman and was just generally a very sharp and dangerous puncher. Briggs and McCline were both huge punchers when they wanted to be. Danny Williams and Lamon Brewster had underrated power. Williams several time turned big fights around with one or two good shots, even knocked out a guy one handed.
                    Danny Williams DESPITE KO'ing my man Tyson will always be a hero of mine ever since he smashed Mark Potter to defeat with a dislocated shoulder and after climbing off the canvas himself - Warrior! Excellent pick to btw as is Ricky Hatton
                    Last edited by The Surgeon; 02-22-2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'll never forget how Danny smashed Potter with his major arm problem.

Heart of a lion.

He got wrecked by Vitali but he kept getting up.

Comment

Working...
                      X