No announcement yet.

The right hook?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right hook?

Hey, i've started boxing about 3-4 weeks ago and have been going non-stop since I joined. Well my question has to do with the right hook, is it necessary? My trainer said it's an ugly punch and shuns really using it.

note-Now my trainers a pretty experienced guy, he's from Freeport PAL in New York if anyone knows, and Freeport PAL's no joke!

I know people that love the right hook, but I pretty much agree with your trainer. In my experience, it ALWAYS comes off as a looping right hand instead of a hook.

Comment

I like the right hook, i find it a very useful power punch to knock my opponent of balance and stop their lateral movement. Also with head movement it can be a pretty vicious suprise attack. In my opinion its another weapon for your arsenal of punches and worth investigating. (Good in a street fight as well).

Comment

THere is no right hook. Only if your a south paw. You can throw a wide cross though when your in close range and cant get a decent extension on a straight.

Comment

Originally posted by J_CON View Post
          THere is no right hook. Only if your a south paw. You can throw a wide cross though when your in close range and cant get a decent extension on a straight.
          yes there is a right hook we all know what he's talking about

the right hook is very hard to land i don't really try it in sparring u've got to set it up tho like roy jones done to virgill hill

Comment

The short right hook can be effective especially in close, ex Australian champ Darren Obah used to clock me with a few of these in sparring years back.
            Didnt expect it at the time. Heres a demo by a kickboxing champ. Only thing I was taught different is to keep the thumb upwards when hooking not towards your body. what about everyone else?
            27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> Basics of Thai Boxing & Martial Arts : Muay Thai Hook Punch: Thai Boxing Basics -- powered by ExpertVillage.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trrmo View Post
              The short right hook can be effective especially in close, ex Australian champ Darren Obah used to clock me with a few of these in sparring years back.
              Didnt expect it at the time. Heres a demo by a kickboxing champ. Only thing I was taught different is to keep the thumb upwards when hooking not towards your body. what about everyone else?
              I was taught to keep my thumb up (palms in, not with my thumb sticking out lol)when throwing any type of hook. Its actually interesting to note that i catch more people in my boxing gym with it than in my muay thai gym with a right hook.
              Last edited by mightymouse2k; 06-21-2008, 03:09 PM.

Comment

If a boxer threw a right hook at me with his elbow that high I'd step in, take it short, and punch a hole right through his liver. The strong-side hook has to be thrown in close, and if you fight orthodox, keep that elbow down and the thumb up. The way he throws that punch may work great in MT but I have had great success in throwing a left hook counter against that exact punch.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
                  If a boxer threw a right hook at me with his elbow that high I'd step in, take it short, and punch a hole right through his liver. The strong-side hook has to be thrown in close, and if you fight orthodox, keep that elbow down and the thumb up. The way he throws that punch may work great in MT but I have had great success in throwing a left hook counter against that exact punch.
                  I think you are right about its use in muay thai, normally (in my muay thai gym) when i throw a right hook i normally use a lead leg technique to keep my opponent at bay and stop him exploiting the openings, unfortuantely you can't do that in boxing and as you state above, it does provide your opponent with a great opening.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess i'll shun from using it unless i see a sweet spot.

Comment

Working...
                    X