Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Mike Tyson Beats a Prime George Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyson ducked old George. After the Douglas loss anytime George got in front of a microphone he'd call out Tyson. Tyson wanted no part of it. The public wanted it, King wanted it, Tyson stormed off when offered it. Cus and Mike used to watch film of Frazier getting beat down by Foreman, analyzing that style, Cus himself told Mike that Foreman was suicide.

No disrespect to Mike, it is what it is

Comment

Tyson has more heart.
      He wins this...

Comment

Originally posted by IrishDiscussion View Post
        Tyson ducked old George. After the Douglas loss anytime George got in front of a microphone he'd call out Tyson. Tyson wanted no part of it. The public wanted it, King wanted it, Tyson stormed off when offered it. Cus and Mike used to watch film of Frazier getting beat down by Foreman, analyzing that style, Cus himself told Mike that Foreman was suicide.

In his defense, it was a no-win situation for Mike. A lot of people thought George was old and would get killed.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishDiscussion View Post

lol
          The Foreman myth always makes me laugh!

Foreman lost to bum @ss Tommy Morrison and a gun shy scared Evander Roidyfield.

He robbed Alex Stewart.
          The ghost of Tyson managed to KO that guy in a round.
          (Before Foreman fought him lol)

And he robbed Axel Schulz the feather fisted eurobum.
          Then ducked the rematch like a punk.

Foreman is a myth lol

Tyson does him like Larry but faster...

Comment

Archie is another clueless poster. Old Foreman was great for what he did which was re winning the true hwt championship after being retired for ten years. Greatest achievement in all of sports history. Akin to a Super Bowl champion team from 1974 getting back together a decade or more later to win the Super Bowl again.

Prime Foreman kills Tyson. Foreman had the heart and will to win of an ATG hwt champion. Tyson was always weak mentally and this is the main reason he is not rated higher.

I've watched Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Shavers all train live. No one hit like Foreman. He would hit a 300 pound heavy bag and it sounded like thunder all over the gym. Frightening power in his prime. Only hwt I've ever watched live whose demonstration of punching power left an impression.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
              Archie is another clueless poster. Old Foreman was great for what he did which was re winning the true hwt championship after being retired for ten years. Greatest achievement in all of sports history. Akin to a Super Bowl champion team from 1974 getting back together a decade or more later to win the Super Bowl again.

Prime Foreman kills Tyson. Foreman had the heart and will to win of an ATG hwt champion. Tyson was always weak mentally and this is the main reason he is not rated higher.

I've watched Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Shavers all train live. No one hit like Foreman. He would hit a 300 pound heavy bag and it sounded like thunder all over the gym. Frightening power in his prime. Only hwt I've ever watched live whose demonstration of punching power left an impression.

Prime Foreman had poor technique, no stamina and even less heart....

Tyson also has the better chin of the two...

Ignore your nostalgia dude.
              Be objective.

Comment

Houdini you couldn’t be more right, I saw George live only one time, and he was impressive, I was ringside for the “ Geezers at Ceasars “ when he knocked out a clean & sober Gerry Cooney and I’ve never seen a persons punches go through his opponent like I saw in Atlantic City. And let’s be honest George was a shell of himself compared to the early 70’s, Tyson’s style was Taylor made for Foreman. George Knocks iron mike out in 5

Comment

--- in these types of discussions, the dishonorable always want to match the worst version of a fighter against the best of their Favorites.

Undefeated at their peaks, that's an alltime shoot out only the precious few admitted into Valhalla will ever be privileged to see.

Worst vs worst definitely favors George who prob has near the best worst of any great heavy.

Comment

Arch.....George's Jab in his prime was considered by some as the best since Joe Louis. Foremans stamina was not the issue...he would go all out to KO early and not pace himself. His Kos of Frazier and Norton were among the most frightening displays of punching power in boxing history. Foreman had the determination, will to win and killer instinct of an ATG. Tyson was another quitter. Great front runner but make him think, get him in a losing bout and he became a different fighter. Tentative and looking for the exit. Not tough mentally at all.

Comment

Originally posted by clemenza View Post
                      Houdini you couldn’t be more right, I saw George live only one time, and he was impressive, I was ringside for the “ Geezers at Ceasars “ when he knocked out a clean & sober Gerry Cooney and I’ve never seen a persons punches go through his opponent like I saw in Atlantic City. And let’s be honest George was a shell of himself compared to the early 70’s, Tyson’s style was Taylor made for Foreman. George Knocks iron mike out in 5
                      I disagree about 90s George being a shell of himself. I think he understood the ability to absorb punishment more, had a better understanding of ring generalship, and truly didn't care if he lived or died.

Archie, I am going to assume you are simply young and uninformed. Let a few more years pass and then let's talk boxing, son. There's no point in arguing with someone who isn't ready to properly receive the teaching yet. Old Buddhists say 'student is ready, teacher appears' is like 'Don't waste time on a person with knowledge if they aren't ready for it.'

But Archie is your username, so I hope you aren't old school, in here saying Tyson has more heart than Foreman.

Agree with October, except that it would've gotten him lots of public respect. Foreman was the scary rising heavyweight of that time, but you are right. Unnecessary risk. King wanted them to fight because he sincerely wanted to ruin Mike, I believe, because he feared him on some level.
                      but I could be wrong. King, and all others working at that level in boxing (at the top) are not to be fiddled with.
                      Last edited by Warrior Scholar; 06-14-2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X