Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official 2018 World Cup thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have familiar gripes as some others.

How did Delle Alli last 120 minutes? Is RLC injured? Young was shot to bits!

But ultimately Croatia’s big game players showed up big. Mandzukic, Modric, and especially Perisic.

Comment

• Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
      Even if England reaches the finals ( i dont think so tbh: Croatia will get em), they'd get destroyed in the finals by their opponent
      Im a prophet

Comment

• Same old England, same old ****e. Always fold under pressure when they play the first big team. No creativity, no flair, no finesse. Just athletes who are strong and can run, good off the ball and pedestrian on it. Best league in the world my arse. If England want to dream of reaching another final ever again they need a dramatic overhaul from top to bottom. For it's size, population, infrastructure and dominant footballing culture England should be on the same level as France and Spain. Since 1960 England have reached just three semi-finals and won only one of them. That is a travesty. There's simply not enough impetus on the powers that be to develop football in this country to a competitive level. The Premier League is an entity unto itself and for itself. There is no mandate to develop to English football. EPL success has been down to foreign audiences, foreign money, players and coaches. EPL exists to siphon foreign pockets. World Cup 2010 should have been the wake-up call when England got thumped 4-1 but nah, lumping it up field and set pieces will win you the World Cup innit. Stone Age football. Disgraceful. I hope they save face against Belgium. They're a young team yes but I don't see how much better they can get. In a few years with experience they will get better but not dramatically unless they change their philosophy, playing style and football culture.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
          I have familiar gripes as some others.

How did Delle Alli last 120 minutes? Is RLC injured? Young was shot to bits!

But ultimately Croatia’s big game players showed up big. Mandzukic, Modric, and especially Perisic.
          I feel as if Rakitic did the best work out of the entire team. A real star of the match given his work rate!

Croatia, IMO, are too good to not be able to score against France. They need a score to light them up, because otherwise, you feel how sluggish they play. The first half was painful to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
            I feel as if Rakitic did the best work out of the entire team. A real star of the match given his work rate!

Croatia, IMO, are too good to not be able to score against France. They need a score to light them up, because otherwise, you feel how sluggish they play. The first half was painful to watch.
            They are streaky.

It’s all ifs and buts and people are down on England now. But if Kane squared the ball in the first half England win that game easily.

It’s not how you start though it’s how you finish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mushashi View Post
              Same old England, same old ****e. Always fold under pressure when they play the first big team. No creativity, no flair, no finesse. Just athletes who are strong and can run, good off the ball and pedestrian on it. Best league in the world my arse. If England want to dream of reaching another final ever again they need a dramatic overhaul from top to bottom. For it's size, population, infrastructure and dominant footballing culture England should be on the same level as France and Spain. Since 1960 England have reached just three semi-finals and won only one of them. That is a travesty. There's simply not enough impetus on the powers that be to develop football in this country to a competitive level. The Premier League is an entity unto itself and for itself. There is no mandate to develop to English football. EPL success has been down to foreign audiences, foreign money, players and coaches. EPL exists to siphon foreign pockets. World Cup 2010 should have been the wake-up call when England got thumped 4-1 but nah, lumping it up field and set pieces will win you the World Cup innit. Stone Age football. Disgraceful. I hope they save face against Belgium. They're a young team yes but I don't see how much better they can get. In a few years with experience they will get better but not dramatically unless they change their philosophy, playing style and football culture.
              I disagree with virtually all this.

Philosophy is correct. England are winning at all age groups.

The main issue is the pathway to the first team for English youngsters.

I know Southgate says THIS England team will improve but I think really he means it more generally some of those will likely be replaced by superior ones very shortly. Players like Lingard/Sterling/Delle Alli

It’s no bigger than this particular age group isn’t the strongest but their still more technically able than any other England side we’ve had since about 96. And someone like Jesse Lingard and RLC are your archetypal youth products these days. Footballers first and athletes second.

It’s also worth noting par for us quarter final if all the other nations perform. But as we’ve seen from this World Cup. South American teams are getting pretty weak. So the same opportunities will be there for the next World Cup.

The Euros is probably a stronger tournament
              Last edited by Sparked_26; 07-12-2018, 03:30 AM.

Comment

• Is everyone in this thread drunk?

The first-half was ALL England.
                Sterling ran ******ed on Croatia's defence early on. It's a wonder how the Brits weren't able to go up 2-0 early. Their defence was solid, and their midfield did well. Why the hate for Alli? Yes, though, from 40+ minute on, things slowly faltered. England started shaking, and once they gave up the goal, everyone fell apart. BAD. (lol @ Brits losing their **** on here)

What I saw today is a team that does not need Modric as much as previously thought. He isn't Messi or Ronaldo, where he MUST touch the ball each time up front. The rest of the team around him picked up the pace, he just fell a little flat in this performance. Even being man-marked against France, as long as he can create chances or keep things open, than Croatia will be all right. Rakitic is the key figure in long-balls & keeping it wide.

Honestly, though, tactically, I'm at a loss at how Croatia can beat France. If they're down a goal, and the game follows a familiar script to this England game, then I believe in them, but otherwise, the French are just too freakin talented.

I have France winning 2-0. Early goal, late icer.

Comment

• I can’t believe my dumb luck to pick France to go to the finals, and I got France winning it. I no nothing about futball. Nothing.
                  Sixty plus guys at the office wanted me to join in their friendly bet, and we all put in ~ 10 dollars.

I chose France because I was talking to a French co worker Alban/Albon at the time, and he chose France, so I chose France.
                  Some other dude chose France too, so if France wins, I get a bit over two hundred US dollars.

I never win anything. I’ll watch the final, depending on time.

When is the final?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
                    I disagree with virtually all this.

Philosophy is correct. England are winning at all age groups.

The main issue is the pathway to the first team for English youngsters.

I know Southgate says THIS England team will improve but I think really he means it more generally some of those will likely be replaced by superior ones very shortly. Players like Lingard/Sterling/Delle Alli

It’s no bigger than this particular age group isn’t the strongest but their still more technically able than any other England side we’ve had since about 96. And someone like Jesse Lingard and RLC are your archetypal youth products these days. Footballers first and athletes second.

It’s also worth noting par for us quarter final if all the other nations perform. But as we’ve seen from this World Cup. South American teams are getting pretty weak. So the same opportunities will be there for the next World Cup.

The Euros is probably a stronger tournament
                    I think Keane was right when he said.. do you really expect your first actual trophy to be a World Cup? I mean look at the past winners over 20 years.. most have players who have done it at top Clubs in the CL/League formats.. Most of the lads play for mid table clubs.. The United boys aren't really first teamers.. I guess you have Walker/Sterling/Stones at City who won the league but they haven't really done anything in KO competition either

It's a good sign we are starting to do well at younger levels though for sure.. but will these players be allowed time at big or even mid level clubs in the league?

Southgate gets a lot of praise for picking people on form.. but i feel like he put too much faith in Ali/Sterling this tournament... they just didn't perform at all.. Delph, Rashford and Cheeks should have been given more chances

Going forward we really need to work on creativity from open play.. i felt like the back 5/kane all functioned really well

Comment

• Why all the negativity lads?

You exceeded expectations by far this year, were 20 minutes from the final. Kane will probably get the top scorer. Your under teams are killing it. The future looks bright. Ot at least not as dark as you say it does.

We'll see in 2 years at Euros if this was just a one time thing. Stay positive ffs.

Comment

Working...
                      X