No announcement yet.

For 6 months, Kelly Pavlik was great.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For 6 months, Kelly Pavlik was great.

The brutal stoppage of Edison Miranda followed by the equally as brutal stoppage of Jermain Taylor to win the lineal Middleweight title. That really was something.

What has happened to this man and will he ever return? I recall talk of him being an alcoholic and involved in crime? He's still only 34 years old.

Comment

Old man Bernard took his soul

Comment

Kelly had very good skills along with a huge size advantage at MW. Hopkins who started his career at LHW and then returned to LHW, neutralized Pavlik's size advantage and completely aced Pavlik in technique and ring IQ.

As rough a defeat as that was to Hopkins, alcoholism took Pavlik down. There were stories of his drinking binges coming out well before he fought Hopkins. But he was winning and on top of the world, so instead of being labled an alcoholic, he was just seen as a party guy. His coach - Jack Lowe used to talk about how they'd go out drinking at the bars and get in fights with guys. It just caught up to him, whether the loss to Nard sped up the process or not. He was winning the Martinez fight after 7 rounds when he completely gassed out. He spent two weeks of his training camp for Sergio at the Betty Ford clinic.

Comment

Andre ward ducked pavlik & went & had shoulder surgery instead of fight'em

Comment

Pavlik was great for boxing, I miss his fights. Too bad he couldnt shake his daemons.

Comment

Originally posted by Mushashi View Post
              Old man Bernard took his soul
              ... it was the booz, not B-Hop...

Comment

I miss his fights very much so, he has pure talent. He never had a knockout loss in his career.

Comment

he was a guy much like ricky hatton whos problems with booze and depression increased after suffering their first professional defeats...naz was another fighter whos bad habits became worse after losing for the first time

Comment

Pavlik was a helluva fighter.. I wish he could have hung around longer. He was in some great fights.

Comment

Working...
                    X