Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the better fighter Carl Froch or Sergey Kovalev?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
    you're insane.
    Insane, huh? That's a common opinion, man, and I'm sure there's plenty of people who agree with you.

I admit it's a bit of a stretch at first, but let the idea sink in a little. Contrast Ward's body language in the championship rounds of the Froch fight to the Kovalev fight fight... Dre is really not liking it in there with Froch in those final few stanzas.

That's not to say I think Carl would have beaten the Kovalev from Ward I, not at all. Quite aside from the fact that Kovalev weighs about 15Lbs more in the ring he's also a more skilled fighter, but the difference is Froch never stopped coming at Ward, never took his foot off the gas and never got discouraged despite the fact that he was eating punches all night and Ward was running rings around him for most of the fight.

Like I say. There's a reason Ward considered the Froch fight tougher than Kovalev I even if it was nowhere near as close.

Like I say though, it ain't a popular opinion, so feel free to disagree.

Comment

Please bump this **** in five years. This is going to look like a Jeff Lacy thread from 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
        Insane, huh? That's a common opinion, man, and I'm sure there's plenty of people who agree with you.

I admit it's a bit of a stretch at first, but let the idea sink in a little. Contrast Ward's body language in the championship rounds of the Froch fight to the Kovalev fight fight... Dre is really not liking it in there with Froch in those final few stanzas.

That's not to say I think Carl would have beaten the Kovalev from Ward I, not at all. Quite aside from the fact that Kovalev weighs about 15Lbs more in the ring he's also a more skilled fighter, but the difference is Froch never stopped coming at Ward, never took his foot off the gas and never got discouraged despite the fact that he was eating punches all night and Ward was running rings around him for most of the fight.

Like I say. There's a reason Ward considered the Froch fight tougher than Kovalev I even if it was nowhere near as close.

You are right about the last 3 rounds.

Ward was uncomfortable but I think mostly because he was very tired.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          You are right about the last 3 rounds.

Ward was uncomfortable but I think mostly because he was very tired.
          Yeah this. And that's kinda my take. Froch kept forcing the pace and even though Ward was outclassing him he was forced to fight at a higher pace than he would have prefered which eventually started to tire him.

In Kovalev I for whatever reason - gassing, bodyshots or simply the belief that he had it in the bag, Sergei gradually allowed Ward to begin controlling the pace of the fight, slowing it down to the speed at which he was most comfortable. Myself I still think Sergei deserved the nod, but the marked shift in the second half was due largely to this I think. Had Kovalev been willing or able to keep pushing the tempo in the way Froch did he would have been a very clear victor.

Comment

Froch. He would fight anyone, anywhere and would never even dream of quitting.

Comment

Originally posted by bowlingkid09 View Post
              1. Your first point is incredibly inaccurate (Froch has a better cumulative body of work; don't get me wrong).

2. I never saw Kovalev get badly outclassed by that same featherfist you mentioned.
              I did

he got outclassed, beat to **** and quit

I I saw froch get outskilled but stay in there and ward start wilting in the final rounds not froch

Comment

I thinks its Kovalev but Froch has slightly better resume. Both fights form Kovalev-Ward were extremely close, even before that fluke tko. While Ward-Froch, Ward clearly outboxed Froch.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post

Tremendous post.

Comment

Froch is tougher/had more fight to him.

Kovalev was more skilled/talented.

Froch had a better resume, but let's be real if Kovalev got the win against Ward in the first fight like he should have then this would be a different argument. Also Ward was injured against Froch and still won 8 rounds (no controversy)

Kovalev's career isn't over yet. If he comes back and beats Stevenson then this is an easy decision.

Comment

It's clearly Kovalev in my opinion but Froch is more accomplished and has a better resume and an iron will.

Comment

Working...
                      X