Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of Oscar De La Hoya?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of Oscar De La Hoya?

It is interesting hearing other people's opinions on Oscar De La Hoya, as a boxer and as a person. What do you guys think?

As a boxer he never ducked anyone and was a true champ

As a person he's a s1ssy sadly

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
      As a boxer he never ducked anyone and was a true champ

As a person he's a s1ssy sadly
      It was unfortunate to see him ruin his own life. He was a good boxer.

Comment

at 1st i thought he was a gimmick. good looking guy whos going to jab and run. that was hardly the case. certified HOFer. his out of the ring shlt would matter to me if i were a stalker.

Comment

Agreed, as a fighter he was a very good one who lost at least two important fights because of bum judging.

On the other hand as a businessman he has stepped up the process of giving himself a bad name by so transparently protecting Canelo from GGG while maneuvering and stalling for a giant purse for a fight that is not timely by the time it happens. Boo!

Comment

I was a new hardcore fan to boxing when I become aware of Oscar in late 88, early 89 iirc. I remember all those stories from back in the day that helped make him who he's become today, maybe good & bad, & that made me a fan. Growing up in East LA as a kid working hard towards his dream. The loss of his mother thats probably led to many of his issues today. His wallet being stolen by people not knowing who he was only to be returned, with his money, once they found out who he was. Winning the Olympic gold medal for his mom (was kinda pissed when I heard he gave this to Arum, not sure who has that medal today). His fast movement into the pro game. The multiple titles. Becoming the first non-HW PPV star. Fighting nearly everyone he could. Sticking around too long like everyone else. The move to promoting for the sport he once excelled at.

Its a great f#cking story the Oscar De La Hoya story & I'm sure there are some good movies about his life that'll be made in the future & the next Ken Burns will probably do some 8 hour documentary about him. You gotta respect the guy for his accomplishments & the drive he had to realize his dreams despite his shortcomings as a human & specifically as an famous personality who likely is dealing with a more complex reality with his standing in the world than regular cats like us here can even comprehend along with all the regular sh^t we all deal with despite our fame or lack thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
              On the other hand as a businessman he has stepped up the process of giving himself a bad name by so transparently protecting Canelo from GGG while maneuvering and stalling for a giant purse for a fight that is not timely by the time it happens
              I mean in the Oscar story from 1973 to 2017, the Canelo stuff is a small sliver of what Oscar is & means to boxing. Think about it, this is some f#cking kid like so many others coming up in boxing who's become one of the premier promoters in a sport he used to compete in.

The fact he's even a top promoter in boxing at all is a huge part of the Oscar success story despite how you may feel about any specific move he has made, is making or will make as a promoter. And I say that as a guy extremely critical of this Canelo bs that I feel is bad for all parties that its not happening & I blame Oscar for that first & foremost.

Comment

It took a few fights for him to grow on me when he turned pro, but it didn't take long. He was always willing to fight the best and never ducked anyone. Great skills and got robbed in some of his biggest fights.

As a person I couldn't say. I don't know him outside of what the press reports about him, but he seems like a guy who is trying to be a better person but like most of us, has his demons to battle. Overall I like him as a fighter and a person.

Comment

I never look too hard at the people behind the facade... For example, Bernard Hopkins is obviously a slick business man in addition to being a great fighter...did he do his trainer, booey, wrong? I don't know... and its much the same with Oscar. I don't know what he likes, what he wears in bed, etc lol.

I think he made the most of his talents, he had natural ability but perhaps not as much as a guy like Mosley. He could punch, but perhaps not as hard as Trinidad... and he could entertain in the ring, excite, perhaps not as much as Whitaker. But Oscar was a good package. My only knock on him was his stamina. Its kind of hard to accept that he was for most of his career pretty much a 6 round fighter lol.

His performance against Nando was masterful, in how he took him apart, fighting at junctions, making Nando look outclassed really. That might have been his finest moment, even though it was later in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    I mean in the Oscar story from 1973 to 2017, the Canelo stuff is a small sliver of what Oscar is & means to boxing. Think about it, this is some f#cking kid like so many others coming up in boxing who's become one of the premier promoters in a sport he used to compete in.

The fact he's even a top promoter in boxing at all is a huge part of the Oscar success story despite how you may feel about any specific move he has made, is making or will make as a promoter. And I say that as a guy extremely critical of this Canelo bs that I feel is bad for all parties that its not happening & I blame Oscar for that first & foremost.
                    Heres the unfortunate thing: If you study psychology one can see in Oscar an ooze of problems... the guy has the behavoir of an addict, he is passive aggressive, compulsive, narcasistic, and Manipulative. I would not want to be a young fighter under his control thats for sure. We need fighters to have more say but letting Oscar be the spokesperson for that is dangerous. Ironickly the least dangerous aspect might be his penchant for wearing stockings!

But this guy is a sociopath...classic... Out for numero uno and numero uno alone.

Comment

Working...
                    X