No announcement yet.

Al Haymon Quietly Shakes up Boxing- NY Times

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    If I was a pro boxer, I would try to be a Haymon fighter no doubt.
    this... pretty sure every boxer thinks the same now and thats why guys like arum hate al haymon haha

Comment

Originally posted by It's Ovah View Post
      Al Haymon is the sinister Illuminatus of boxing. He probably has a pic of a giant pyramid with an eye tattooed on his left buttcheek.
      lol...........

Comment

Originally posted by L. Cipher View Post
        GTFOH, Arum robs his fighters, Haymon gets his paid
        I often hear posters saying this, calling Atum all sorts of a crook and thief etc. Yet, I haven't ever seen any case in point to SHOW that he is a thief. I often write in opposition to this accusation because I have never seen any proof and because it seems very contrary to his actual very generous actions, and the fact that of all the literally hundreds of his fighters only 2, Oscar and Mayweather, both eccentrics and prima donnas, have ever said nasty things about him. And yet, he made both of them.

So why not quote me a few cases with solid links??????

And remember we're not talking about Don King here. Nor about Mayweather's fake claim, which he has never either substantiated or taken to court.

Comment

I don't know if Arum robs his fighters or not but I think he keeps great fights from happening. The advantage of going with Al Haymon is that he is probably way cheaper than TR or GB.

Comment

A good manager's job is to get their client the most money with the least resistance, Al Haymon does this better than anyone in the business and thus he is the best in the business...

Bob Arum has never stolen money from me, so I can't offer you any physical evidence of his thievery, but where there's smoke there's fire, and in Arum's case there's enough smoke to choke on. It's pretty clear that while doing similar #s PPV wise and at the gate that Mayweather and Pacquiao are in two different situations financially. Mayweather has worked out one of the biggest deals in sports history, while Pacquiao is in need of advances on his fights. Pac hired visionqwest to look into finances and once they started to uncover all TRs shady bs they were stonewalled and dismissed. I'll take Mayweather and De La Hoya's word on Arum's crookedness over yours...

But the thing I think people overlook most in this conversation is that as a manager or adviser or whatever Al Haymons only responsibility is to his fighters, whereas Arums job as a promoter is to put together the best fights and the best cards, he has a responsibility to the the fighters but also to the fans. And he consistently robs boxing fans of the best fights so that he can keep all his fights in house. So if Andre Berto is making 7 figures to fight in empty arenas or Gary Russell is fighting 8 rounders on HBO is just an example of Haymon doing his job well because Arums fighter who can't fill arenas are making significantly less and his prospects that are fighting 8 rounders are in the very best case on some obscure cable network that doesn't broadcast in english.

Comment

Case in point: Adrien Broner and Diego Magdaleno. Both are very skilled young 130 lb pound fighters who have proven to be pretty good draws in their home towns. Broner's 22-0 and had his last 3 fights on HBO and just won a vacant belt against Martin Rodriguez and it seems safe to he's easily clockin' somewhere in the healthy 6 figure area. Meanwhile Magdaleno's 21-0 older than Broner and been fighting on Top Rank Live cards, most recently against Emmanuel Lucero, broadcast in some parts of the country on fox sports and I think it's safe to say is being compensated considerably less. now I don't know who Lucero is, but i think it's safe to say he's probably not that far a step down from Rodriguez matchup wise (this argument may not be fair because broner was supposed to fight Ricky burns who clearly ducked Broner, which would also dispute that Haymon fighters are always lightly matched). The difference here is Haymon killin' it for his client. While Broner is headed for stardom fighting on HBO, Magdaleno will toil much more anonymously continuing to be lightly matched. And the real ****ty part is that these two would make for a good fight (Broner'd win) but probably won't be fighting any time soon and they won't be fighting for the same reason Mayweather and Pacquiao haven't fought, because bitter old Bob got jux'd by Haymon in a brilliant business move to buy Mayweather away for next to nothing only to develop him into the the biggest boxer of a generation.

Comment

Working...
              X