Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video: Boxing's next big star once Floyd/Pac are retired.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: Boxing's next big star once Floyd/Pac are retired.

I love watching him fight.

Donaire is only like 2 some years younger than Pac...he needs to start moving up weighs in a hurry if he really plans on being a star.

Comment

I dont think you will see another fighter get the notoriety and media appeal like it is for Floyd and to a lessor degree Manny for a very long time , Manny rode in on Floyds back , you need that Hero Villain thing going on to capture the public imagination and transcend the sport , mister nice guy wont cut it no matter how good you are , the public are fickle and ejaculate on controversy hate and most things negative , positive things seem to not get media attention like the negative things .

Comment

Originally posted by Everywhere View Post
        Donaire is only like 2 some years younger than Pac...he needs to start moving up weighs in a hurry if he really plans on being a star.
        Is he? Good point. Wait...Just checked they're actually 4 years apart. He's 28 atm. Still plenty of time imo. He's still with Top Rank right? Real exciting fighter. Sorta like Naseem just a little more faster w/ less power. He needs to stick to boxing more cause it seems a lot of times he likes to please the crowd and goes into slugger mode. I wonder how he'll do once he get in the FW division. His KO's look strong only because ( at least that I know of ) he fights smaller fighters. His power isn't that great he should really put his focus on boxing smarter and not getting so reckless i.e when he fought Concepcion.

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
          I dont think you will see another fighter get the notoriety and media appeal like it is for Floyd and to a lessor degree Manny for a very long time , Manny rode in on Floyds back , you need that Hero Villain thing going on to capture the public imagination and transcend the sport , mister nice guy wont cut it no matter how good you are , the public are fickle and ejaculate on controversy hate and most things negative , positive things seem to not get media attention like the negative things .

I don't think Manny rode on Floyd's back at all. Remember ODLH cherry picked Manny not the other way around.

Comment

won't come close to that level or cross over appeal unless he moves all the way up to 140-147

sadly Casual Boxing Fans (the ones who buy PPV's and other stuff) usually don't care about weight classes lower then maybe 135-130, it always been like that though

Donaire and Gamboa should be SUPERSTARS...RIGHT NOW! and if they was in a division people cared about...THEY WOULD BE UP THEIR with Mayweather and Pacquiao or at least right underneath them as far as Drawing Power
            Last edited by KnockUTheFukOut; 09-26-2011, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KnockUTheFukOut View Post
              won't come close to that level or cross over appeal unless he moves all the way up to 140-147

sadly Casual Boxing Fans (the ones who guy PPV's and other stuff) usually don't care about weight classes lower then maybe 135-130, it always been like that though

Donaire and Gamboa should be SUPERSTARS...RIGHT NOW! and if they was in a division people cared about...THEY WOULD BE UP THEIR with Mayweather and Pacquiao or at least right underneath them as far as Draw Power
              hard reality fact.

Comment

Don't get me wrong I love Donaire, he is just running out of time fast...his inactivity due to the Top Rank contract dispute hasn't helped either.

Comment

Originally posted by mikelovesfood View Post
                  I don't think Manny rode on Floyd's back at all. Remember ODLH cherry picked Manny not the other way around.
                  Without the public love hate Manny has with Floyd he would not be anywhere near as big and he is and he is still not as big as Floyd because more of the public pay to see Floyd , Oscar was just a stepping stone an important one but not the whole story , every great has stepping stones you cant say its all about the stepping stones ., boxing is a very market selling thing today as is all sports , the internet age is great but it kills old school integrity and projects the fast food plastic image it markets , the goods ol days are long gone .

Comment

I see victor ortiz being the next big star. I think the point of the floyd fight was to get his name out there win or lose, he'll be like oscar (might lose all his big fights but still a star). I feel most fighters today are very lazy in marketing themselves (chad dawson) you see them on fighnight/press conferences. Compare that to floyd who is on most social networks or mingles with celebs at events.

Comment

Working...
                    X