Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't like the fact that Golovkin trains in such old school way

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The squat is a great exercise but mechanically the deadlift is simpler to perform. Actually I think incorrect form is more prevalent with the squat.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
      Why doesn't he lift weights? I wanna see him squating, deadlifting, doing pull ups, shoulder press, bench press.

He needs to hire a modern strenght and conditioning coach.

Do you agree? times when fighters didn't to weight lifting are counted... unless you are on roids you NEED those exercises to build the strength.

He's doing these things like Jack Dempsey man...

Come on..
      You must be a newb. Weights are the worst thing for a fighter. Weights slow you down, creates imbalances which takes away from being able to gear snapping punches, and make them gain weight placing them in a higher weight class. Its counter productive because your gained strength which come with weight will lead you to a higher weight class were the competition would be stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemac View Post
        You must be a newb. Weights are the worst thing for a fighter. Weights slow you down, creates imbalances which takes away from being able to gear snapping punches, and make them gain weight placing them in a higher weight class. Its counter productive because your gained strength which come with weight will lead you to a higher weight class were the competition would be stronger.
        You don't know what the **** you are talking about. You came out of 1920 it seems. Sorry bud, we are on the 21st century and most fighters do weight lifting.

Comment

Whatever he's doing in the gym works. No need to change it. The routine(s) he does will probably end up giving him more years boxing than would him starting to lift unnecessary weights at this point.

Comment

You don't know what the **** you are talking about. You came out of 1920 it seems. Sorry bud, we are on the 21st century and most fighters do weight lifting.
            You mean like the guys that GGG destroys lol. Fu(ken idiot

Comment

Originally posted by littlemac View Post
              You mean like the guys that GGG destroys lol. Fu(ken idiot
              So the key is training like Golovkin? every fighter should do that and they'll be ATGs?

Comment

So the key is training like Golovkin? every fighter should do that and they'll be ATGs?
                Different things work for different people. The key is for the people around the fighter to build the system that works for them. It is going to take a lot more then your simple google searches for you take a stance on what Golovkin should or shouldn't be doing. GGG's trainer has spent a life time developing a training system that has developed a young man into the recognized middle weight champion of the world.

I've worked out my entire life and been in and out of a boxing gym since I was a kid. When I lift weights if I do high weight low reps I bulk up. It takes more muscle to push higher weight. So if you trying to push 300 lbs and you weigh 180 after awhile your body is going to increase its muscle mass to reduce the strain on the body. If you don't increase your caloric intake to compensate for the extra burn of calories then you will pass out during your work out. If you find the perfect balance you will end up being more lien and heavily muscled. The extra muscle will slow you down. Low weight high reps is more in tune with boxing as your training your muscles more for enduring a weight for a longer period of time.

Boxing is more then just having a super big bench press.

Do a search on slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers and you'll start to get an idea of what kind of exercise a boxer should be doing. Don't go off the word of some dude on youtube. Actually figure out the science then I'll give you some credit for doing your research.

Oh also lifting heavy weight in any and all of those exercises can lead to injury. Not something I'm sure his trainer is willing to risk when there are better exercises to do to build strength.
                Last edited by snoopy360; 02-10-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy360 View Post
                  Different things work for different people. The key is for the people around the fighter to build the system that works for them. It is going to take a lot more then your simple google searches for you take a stance on what Golovkin should or shouldn't be doing. GGG's trainer has spent a life time developing a training system that has developed a young man into the recognized middle weight champion of the world.

I've worked out my entire life and been in and out of a boxing gym since I was a kid. When I lift weights if I do high weight low reps I bulk up. It takes more muscle to push higher weight. So if you trying to push 300 lbs and you weigh 180 after awhile your body is going to increase its muscle mass to reduce the strain on the body. If you don't increase your caloric intake to compensate for the extra burn of calories then you will pass out during your work out. If you find the perfect balance you will end up being more lien and heavily muscled. The extra muscle will slow you down. Low weight high reps is more in tune with boxing as your training your muscles more for enduring a weight for a longer period of time.

Boxing is more then just having a super big bench press.

Do a search on slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers and you'll start to get an idea of what kind of exercise a boxer should be doing. Don't go off the word of some dude on youtube. Actually figure out the science then I'll give you some credit for doing your research.
                  Watch the videos....do it.

I'm not saying he should do weight lifting 4-5 times a week. I'm talking about some squats/deadlifts/benchpress/shoulderpress/barbellrow_or_pullups two times a week, with normal weight, not high and just 2 or 3 sets max per exercise, low reps.

I think that's enough to help him create more strength now that he's older and he needs to change the way he trains. I'm saying he needs to add a little of that to what he already does. He's not on steroids. He doesn't have that help that others at his age did have so he needs that work.

My opinion.

Did you see GGG vs Brook? Brook lifts a lot of weights (as a welter or middleweight). He was faster and at some point seemed stronger than GGG. MANY boxers do weight lifting. I'm talking about world champions... you have a very old schooled mind. The world has changed.
                  Last edited by _Maxi; 02-10-2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Danny Garcia also does weight lifting

Kell Brook:

Last edited by _Maxi; 02-10-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Gamboa's trainer: http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/func...ng-for-boxers/

What are good results in predictor lifts? If you want to aim for the highest level, consider my fighter Yuriorkis Gamboa, 2004 flyweight Olympic champion, WBA (2009-2014) and IBF (2010-2014) super featherweight world champion. I progressed Gamboa to the level where he could perform chin-ups with 41 kilos (90 lbs) attached to his waist and could incline bench press 120 kilos (264 lbs) for 2 reps.
                      Training frequency refers to how often workouts are performed. Most of my fighters lift weights four times a week, with each workout lasting about an hour (including warm-up). Any more than that is difficult for a boxer to recover from and can easily result in a state of overtraining that can lead to injury and illness.
                      But weights are bad doe....

Comment

Working...
                      X