No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golden Boy VP on Canelo's Return, Facing Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
    Canelo has a perfect out. His team is already saying the fight happens in Sept if GGG agrees to concessions. Namely weight and the purse split. If the fight doesn't happen Canelo can say he didn't agree to my demands and it goes to purse bid and Canelo drops the belt and goes on to fight anybody he wants. His fanbase won't turn on him he's already fought Trout, Mayweather, Lara and Cotto. His record proves he has fought everyone fans have asked or said he wouldn't. Who has GGG fought? I believe more fans will put the blame on GGG if he refuses to go down a few pounds to fight Canelo or go up in weight to fight Ward. I mean Canelo had to do this to fight Floyd and had to sacrifice the lion share of the purse to both Cotto and Floyd. Ward is going up to fight Kovalev. That's where GGG hurts himself if he stays firm at 160 and loses out on this fight who has he beaten so far? Why does he say he will go down to 154 to fight Floyd but not go down less pounds to fight Canelo when he has replaced Floyd as the new cash cow in boxing? Why does he say he will go to 168 to fight Chavez Jr but requests a catchweight of 164 for Ward with the only explanation that he's the A side and ward must fight him on his terms. But when Canelo says the same to him he refuses? There is no debate that Canelo is more the A side to GGG then GGG is to Ward.

Canelo does not need GGG for money or his legacy. He's 25 and has already done more then GGG has. The fight not happening in 2016 hurts GGG more then Canelo. And Golden Boy knows it and more importantly so does K2.
    He fought 4 welterweights, no of whom would compete with GGG or any top guy at MW. No matter what, GGG is Canelo's biggest fight. Canelo is GGG's biggest fight. It will happen. Biggest fight is more important than the imaginary in this instance A side because the fight is bigger than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious. View Post
      As much as i dislike canelo, i think your absolutely right. But can GoldenBoy afford to let GGG ko their golden goose? GGG is literally the only big ppv fight out there for canelo as well. I dont see anybody else they can hype up for a big fight and put it on ppv
      HBO isn't playing that game with promoters anymore. they learned from there days working with Haymon, when they cut him out that was HBO letting the boxing world know those days of non-stop bs are done.

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
      Cotto/Canelo and this fight was said to be "next" but now here we are with the promise of once again "next"...

they all do it. You just dont want to admit it

Business overrules fan demand
      Fans wanted Cotto/Canelo and after some tuneups hbo made it. Fans wanted Kovalov/Ward and after some tuneups that fight is expected to happen.

I have no reason to doubt HBO will push for Cotto/GGG, they'll force these promoters to play ball.

HBO will allow tuneups on there dollar, but its a give and take, they expect those tuneups to lead to something bigger.

Comment

I despise Mayweather vs. Pacquiao ever being invoked by any manager or promoter as a precedent for how long it takes to make big fights.

It also basically gives me negative confidence towards something happening.

"It's a big fight, look how long is took Floyd and Manny! Basically we need to wait until one of these guys takes some big losses and rob the fans of this fights significance by waiting around for half a decade."

I have faith this fight will come off, but it is painful to read crap like that.

Comment

Doesn't sound like they want the fight. Once you start hearing that they "want the fight, but there are many obstacles," they are preparing the fans for a let down. The Mayweather-Pacquiao analogy was really stupid, almost as if to say that it's okay for Canelo-GGG to drag out. By the time Mayweather-Pacquiao happened, the fight really lost its luster; though, people still bought it.

So, yeah. I think Canelo probably wants the fight, maybe those around him don't really want it.

Comment

el pollo alvared

Comment

Canelo is too important to the future of GBP, especially after getting the biggest win of his career. Having Canelo gives them time and space to develop their young talent which they have a lot of. Canelo also gives them a huge marker with HBO and keeps that avenue wide open to them, which with all due respect to Estrella TV and streaming on the Ring website is their most important avenue to showcase their talent.

Golovkin is an important fight and Canelo does have limited options on that side of the street so I can see them going there eventually, but every month they can delay it gives GBP what they need to survive. I think they will eventually do it, but it will come down to circumstance and HBO forcing that issue. Which I don't think happens until at least a year from May.

Not that there was much Golovkin's team could have done differently to change this other than to play hardball with HBO during their contract negotiation but that ship left a long time ago.

Comment

Canelo a nobody!coward!

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                  oh I dont disagree with your premise at all, I'm only saying that K2 has went along with this every step of the way. They have had at least 3 occasions where they could have put their foot down, but understanding the ridiculous way boxing is operated these days, knew their better option was to try and play ball.

As for other challengers coming up, unlike the IBF, the WBC does not have a set process for becoming the mandatory challenger. Its pretty much up to the board of directors, which is why quite a few challengers ranked in the top 10 by the WBC end up fighting for other titles in the IBF, WBA, and WBO instead, because they get tired of waiting.......
                  Indeed.
                  And it proves GGG is not after the WBC belt,or become undisputed.
                  He wants a big money fight, else he would have put his foot down by now.

If what he wants is to fight Canelo, then he has to do what everybody else did, including Canelo himself when he fought Floyd and Cotto: negotiate, concede.

Else he can go on with his (very respectable) carreer, forget about Canelo, Cotto and Floyd and actually try to unify, if that's what he wants.
                  Last edited by B-Bomber; 12-15-2015, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swatty View Post
                    He fought 4 welterweights, no of whom would compete with GGG or any top guy at MW. No matter what, GGG is Canelo's biggest fight. Canelo is GGG's biggest fight. It will happen. Biggest fight is more important than the imaginary in this instance A side because the fight is bigger than that.
                    4 welterweights? Lara is a welterweight? Trout is a welterweight? Cotto is welterweight? What are you talking about. Those are all legit world champs at 154. Lara and Trout are huge Jr Middleweights with many fights at Middleweight, Lara is planning to move up to Middleweight and Trout's last 3 fights have been at Middleweight. Lara started his career at middleweight and Trout's first 7 pro fights were at Middleweight. Cotto hasn't fought at welterweight in over half a decade. None of these guys are welterweights. Only one is Floyd and lets be serious he's a welterweight but he would beat anyone GGG has faced and beats GGG as well.

Canelo has not yet fought a top middleweight (I don't count Cotto as a real middleweight) but he as already beaten a higher caliber of fighters overall. That's not even a debate. He's fought multiple hall of famers, multiple top 10 p4p ranked fighters at the time he faced them. Like 8 former world champs. And is now competing in his 3rd weight class in 5 years (people forget Canelo was a welterweight as early as 2010), won titles in 2 of those weight classes. Go ahead and now list GGG's credentials? I'll give you hint he can't match Canelo in any of those categories. Why has GGG refused to move from 160 to secure a big fight? GGG started his pro career in 2006 at 160. And he has not moved since. Cotto/Canelo/Floyd/Manny ect all have moved up and down multiple weight classes for big fights. All have a bigger fanbase but GGG can't do this?

Of course GGG would be Canelo's biggest fight. The problem is Canelo doesn't need GGG and can get other big fights where as GGG can't. GGG can't make the money or draw the TV viewers and PPVs that Canelo can draw fighting other fighters NOT named GGG. That's why he has no leverage here. If the fight doesn't happen it hurts GGG more then Canelo. Canelo has already fought better fighters. You sound dumb saying Floyd, Trout, Lara, Cotto none of them could beat top Middleweights? Geale is one of the best wins on GGG's entire resume. And Cotto moved up and beat him easily. You don't think Floyd, Lara, Cotto couldn't beat a lot of the same names on GGG's resume? Just stop. GGG has accomplished more at Middleweight no denying that. But Canelo has accomplished more in BOXING then GGG despite only being 25. Some of that is due to the middleweight division being weak, some of it is because other guys have ducked GGG but some of that is also because GGG refused to go down to 154 and challenge the bigger named fighters or refused to go up to 168 and challenge those bigger named guys. None of this means GGG won't beat Canelo if they fight. But it does mean Canelo's resume is stronger then GGG's and his fanbase is without question bigger so he can move on and dump the belt if needed and still be sitting pretty. GGG loses out on this fight and where does that leave him? Fans questioning his level of competition and doors shut for big fights.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Bomber View Post
                      Indeed.
                      And it proves GGG is not after the WBC belt,or become undisputed.
                      He wants a big money fight, else he would have put his foot down by now.

If what he wants is to fight Canelo, then he has to do what everybody else did, including Canelo himself when he fought Floyd and Cotto: negotiate, concede.

Else he can go on with his (very respectable) carreer, forget about Canelo, Cotto and Floyd and actually try to unify, if that's what he wants.
                      Exactly!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X