No announcement yet.

How to neutralize a jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to neutralize a jab?

How do you neutralize your opponent's jab? Do you move to the left, out of the way of his left (If he's an orthodox), and then counter his jab with your right cross?

The first thing I teach to defend the jab is to parry or catch the jab. It doesn't matter if you are a lefty or righty, I teach that first.

Now of course, it goes way beyond that. You can neutralize the jab with movement, not just from slips, but from simple distance.

The jab, when thrown properly, is the toughest punch to defend. It should come right from the chin, with no hitch or movement that would make you see it coming.

That's why IMO the parry or catch, is the best and most effective form to defend it. Then you can step on the parry, you can cut distance off of the parry, you can do so many things to really neutralize it but in the end, it takes practice and understanding of movement and distance.

Comment

It's very easy to neutralize the jab when fighting an opposite handed fighter. Other than that...like guy above me said, catch or parry the jab. Sometimes catching and parrying the jab though can be more dangerous if the guy is using the jab to set up combinations because you begin to get your hands away from your face and open up. If a guy is using jabs to set up stuff behind it, sometimes it's best to either use your legs, escape and reset...or if you got quick hands, immediately counter with something back to stop his follow up punches. The counter option really works well if you slip the jab and counter at the same time.

Example...Marquez's class dip and right upper cut as a counter to the jab. He dips to his left under the jab and any follow up right hand, then counters with a lead left upper cut of his own.

Another good example for southpaw is countering the orthodox jab with a slip to the southpaw's right and straight left hand at the same time.

Defending against the jab is great...but when you can make them pay for throwing the jab by countering, oftentimes you neutralize the jab by making your opponent reluctant to throw it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        The first thing I teach to defend the jab is to parry or catch the jab. It doesn't matter if you are a lefty or righty, I teach that first.

Now of course, it goes way beyond that. You can neutralize the jab with movement, not just from slips, but from simple distance.

The jab, when thrown properly, is the toughest punch to defend. It should come right from the chin, with no hitch or movement that would make you see it coming.

That's why IMO the parry or catch, is the best and most effective form to defend it. Then you can step on the parry, you can cut distance off of the parry, you can do so many things to really neutralize it but in the end, it takes practice and understanding of movement and distance.
        Agree with all, to add on, with practice and experience to then begin to adapt to the opponents tells and time the jab with a counter... if you can do it repetitively the opponent will be hesitant to even throw it.

i.e. Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
          It's very easy to neutralize the jab when fighting an opposite handed fighter. Other than that...like guy above me said, catch or parry the jab. Sometimes catching and parrying the jab though can be more dangerous if the guy is using the jab to set up combinations because you begin to get your hands away from your face and open up. If a guy is using jabs to set up stuff behind it, sometimes it's best to either use your legs, escape and reset...or if you got quick hands, immediately counter with something back to stop his follow up punches. The counter option really works well if you slip the jab and counter at the same time.

Example...Marquez's class dip and right upper cut as a counter to the jab. He dips to his left under the jab and any follow up right hand, then counters with a lead left upper cut of his own.

Another good example for southpaw is countering the orthodox jab with a slip to the southpaw's right and straight left hand at the same time.

Defending against the jab is great...but when you can make them pay for throwing the jab by countering, oftentimes you neutralize the jab by making your opponent reluctant to throw it at all.
          For beginners though, the slip is much harder to master. Learning to slip is being able to time the punch and some young fighters find that hard to deal with.

If you catch the jab correctly, it won't get you hit because you don't reach or bring the catch far from your face. I teach it as barely moving your hand, just placing it in front of your face with force. If your opponent feints, you still catch it as if he's throwing it.

Again though, it just takes time and practice. There are some fighters with amazing jabs that are incredibly hard to defend.

I would argue the bolded, come to my gym and there's some lefties we have with amazing jabs that use it very effectively.

Comment

DO NOT REACH FOR THE JAB!!!

I see this in sparring all the time, guys will drill and drill and drill and do great, but as soon as its sparring, they start reaching and get thumped.

edit: On the reverse end, if you see a guy reaching out to catch your jab, feint and clock him.
            Last edited by DIB42; 06-04-2013, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              For beginners though, the slip is much harder to master. Learning to slip is being able to time the punch and some young fighters find that hard to deal with.

If you catch the jab correctly, it won't get you hit because you don't reach or bring the catch far from your face. I teach it as barely moving your hand, just placing it in front of your face with force. If your opponent feints, you still catch it as if he's throwing it.

Again though, it just takes time and practice. There are some fighters with amazing jabs that are incredibly hard to defend.

I would argue the bolded, come to my gym and there's some lefties we have with amazing jabs that use it very effectively.
              True on bolded, but even if you catch the jab by placing your glove in front of your face, it can open you up for a hook. If a guy continues to catch the jab that way, feint the jab, then loop it into a lead hook and it'll land right around the glove. Easier said than done true, but it's available.

And yea, jab can work well for southpaws. It's easy to neutralize the jab of an opposite hand fighter, but not a lot people know how to do it. It's pretty simple though.

Comment

True on bolded, but even if you catch the jab by placing your glove in front of your face, it can open you up for a hook. If a guy continues to catch the jab that way, feint the jab, then loop it into a lead hook and it'll land right around the glove. Easier said than done true, but it's available.

And yea, jab can work well for southpaws. It's easy to neutralize the jab of an opposite hand fighter, but not a lot people know how to do it. It's pretty simple though.
                Then you're doing it wrong . . .

Unless you're in a shell I suppose... But in a traditional stance, you're not significantly open for the hook if you're catching properly.

Comment

Originally posted by DIB42 View Post
                  Then you're doing it wrong . . .

Unless you're in a shell I suppose... But in a traditional stance, you're not significantly open for the hook if you're catching properly.
                  Yea, I did kind of had the shell stance more in mind. I had to visualize this from a more traditional stance and I see what you're saying.

Comment

good post. you're left handed? martinez did this one with his hands by his knees in his prime.
                    Last edited by New England; 06-04-2013, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X