Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Mike Tyson thread: How did Tyson fair against Southpaws?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Mike Tyson thread: How did Tyson fair against Southpaws?

I’ve seen most of Mike’s fights but I can’t ever remember seeing him face a southpaw. It could be, his early style was so dominant and aggressive it negated any awkwardness the southpaw stance may posed. In any event, I don’t recall seeing him fight a southpaw.
    Enlighten me Tyson scholars…

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
    I’ve seen most of Mike’s fights but I can’t ever remember seeing him face a southpaw. It could be, his early style was so dominant and aggressive it negated any awkwardness the southpaw stance may posed. In any event, I don’t recall seeing him fight a southpaw.
    Enlighten me Tyson scholars…
    i always wondered if he would struggle but tyson fought pretty square on anyway. No he never fought a southpaw

Comment

Originally posted by likeamulekick View Post
      i always wondered if he would struggle but tyson fought pretty square on anyway. No he never fought a southpaw
      Kinda surprising, he had over 50 professional fights and no southpaw opponents. I wonder how he'd do against a Chagaev or Ibragimov...

Comment

There weren't too many around back then. Alot of managers and trainers would convert them to the orthodox stance so they could get them fights. Moorer, Joe Hipp, Yuri Vaulin and Joey Parker were among the few. In the amateurs southpaws were far more common.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
          There weren't too many around back then. Alot of managers and trainers would convert them to the orthodox stance so they could get them fights. Moorer, Joe Hipp, Yuri Vaulin and Joey Parker were among the few. In the amateurs southpaws were far more common.
          Wasn't Moorer a southpaw in the pros as well?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
            Wasn't Moorer a southpaw in the pros as well?
            Yes, the guys I named Joe Hipp, Moorer etc all fought southpaw as pros. I was saying previously to that many heavyweights were converted.

Comment

swarmers have a stylistic advantage against lefties

Comment

I cant recall none. Trent Singleton maybe. I know he was able to be a switch puncher. But he didnt stay in Boxing long. Nor in the ring with Tyson. Lewis didnt either did he?

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  Yes, the guys I named Joe Hipp, Moorer etc all fought southpaw as pros. I was saying previously to that many heavyweights were converted.
                  Comprende' amigo....

Comment

Moorer wanted a Tyson fight, but so did every other heavyweight contender looking for a big paycheck. It was possible for Mike to have fought Moorer, Sanders, Byrd, etc., but you can't make a legitimate case that he ducked any of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X