Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Ward really be number 1 pound for pound if he beats Kovalev?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Ward really be number 1 pound for pound if he beats Kovalev?

Not that I think he'll win, but does he really deserve p4p #1 status from one great victory in 4 years? I don't think so, GGG's been crushing everyone in site (as well as Kovalev) meanwhile, Ward's been fighting the likes of Smith, Barrera and Brand, C level fighters, Canelo also has been on a better roll of opponents than Ward.

Kovalev would deserve it because he's been very impressive lately, I don't think one great win should grant Ward recognition as the pound for pound best.

Of course he would. This one win would be better than anything gg has done the last 4 years. He was already number 1-2 before and only "dropped" due to inactivity. He's a pfp fighter and def the winner should be number 1

Comment

So you think if Kova wins, he's #1 but if Ward wins, he's not #1, even though Ward already has a better resume than Kovalev and is more proven.

That makes absolutely zero sense.

Comment

Ward, already IS #1. The chocoalitito deal is merely a hand out of recognition due to the unpopularity of the lower weights. Common sense.

Comment

Swear Boxing fans sometimes smh

Comment

The pound for pound list isn't a ****ing popularity contest, if its changing constantly it holds no worth. Think about the meaning of the phrase in the first place and why it was derived. Whether he has been inactive or not Ward has proved a long time ago that men of equal size to him have been vastly inferior through his whole career, and his skills and ability hold up against any fighter in any weight. He has beaten a sure fire HOF'er in Froch, several world champions, some of them elite. Pound for Pound isn't flavour of the month, and only the fighters who have done well recently. Recent results play a factor, especially if there have been big fights, wins/loses, etc. But pedigree is also very important, and overall resume, Ward is a proven commodity and isn't an old or shot fighter, he has just been inactive and had a few low key fights.

To me Ward has been the best fighter in the world outside Floyd and Manny for a very long time, and nothing which has happened since should change that fact until proven otherwise. In fact I would say he started to overtake Manny and was pushing for the 2 spot around 2011-12 when Manny started to struggle. Its only down to inactivity that he isn't number 1, and in the balance of play that is probably the right thing. If he beats Kovalev - you would have to make a hell of an argument to not put him at number 1, would their be a better resume out there?

Froch
            Kessler
            Abraham
            Bika
            Dawson (drained)
            Kovalev

Green, Miranda, Barrera are all pretty solid wins too.

Golovkin, Kovalev, Crawford, and Roman's resume's are not that strong, and Kovalev is probably one of the other guys in the top 5.

Comment

Your previous posts are hilarious.

Comment

Yes he should. The winner of this fight will be number 1. Forget GGG. He shouldnt even be top 5. Im not a GGG fan, neither a hater biut until he starts beating legit threat, he shouldnt be there...

Comment

Ward has the best resume in the game. He's already #1 P4P..

Comment

Working...
                  X