No announcement yet.

The Mayweather "Boxing Business School"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
    "I've set the model of showing fighters how they should conduct their business. I haven't took no punishment. There's nothing cool about taking punishment". - Floyd Mayweather

Can you imagine if Ali said:

- "Frazier lives too far"
    - "Until Foreman is a PPV star, we can't fight"
    - "Until Liston is his own boss, we can't fight"
    - "We're not in the sport of boxing to see who the best is"

Don't get me wrong, there were times when there was Diva like antics.

- SRL tried to prolong the fight against Hagler. But guess what? Hagler made 3 concessions and the fight got made.

- Roy Jones Jr and Dariusz M couldn't fight because Dariusz wouldn't come to the states. RJJ had a tough time making the Hopkins rematch. But other than this, when RJJ got in the ring, 9/10 he ended the fight in exciting fashion. He didn't dance around the ring in hopes of not taking punishment so he can preserve his career.

Other than these minor hiccups, for the most part, the sport has gotten it right. Kathy Duva said it best:

"Don King and Bob Arum and Dan Duva hated each other and let me tell you, I lived through it," she said. "No one hated each other with more passion than those three men during the late Eighties and in the Nineties. But when they said they had a deal, they had a deal. And the fights got made, because in the end, they wanted the sport to thrive."

Now we have promoters that can't get it right because the business isn't right.

We have networks that can't get it right because the business isn't right.

Of course we have the fighters that can't get it right because the business isn't right.

So many fighters are taking the road of "if it doesn't make business sense, we can't fight".

You look back in the 70's, 80, and 90's and you can count on one hand how many times a fight couldn't get made due to business negotiations. Now a days, it happens every other month.

Too many fighters taking those Mayweather business courses.

And this is the Mayweather Business School I'm talking about:

http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkins...h-talk--104912

"Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, who promote WBC/IBO/IBF/WBA middleweight champion Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin (35-0, 32KOs), laughed at the numerous interviews where Floyd Mayweather Jr. is advising Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (47-1-1, 33KOs) to reject a potential fight with GGG".

"I've set the model of showing fighters how they should conduct their business".

- Floyd Mayweather

Comment

Just look at the condition of boxing.

Everyone wants to fight once a year. And when they do finally decide to fight, it's not against the best fighter, but against whomever makes the most money. All the while us boxing fans are like "Damn, I'm getting old as fcuk and can't catch a good fight more than once or twice a year".

Everyone wants to follow the path of most money with least resistance all the while slowing the game down.

And the promoters/networks are equally guilty

Comment

Everyone is an A side now.

Everyone is ducking the champ
        instead of taking the title shot.

Ill bet if water cost 25$ a bottle anf milk cost 30$ a gallo. Along with gas being 75$ a gallon
        These fighters would be stepping up.

Comment

I just hope Canelo-GGG doesn't take 6 years like May-Pac did.

Making the most money you can is good but the fans want to see the best fight the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            It was a whole different boxing universe back then. You can bet that if Ali was around today he'd be much more like Mayweather was than people wanna believe. Ali would be talking about PPV #'s left & right. And he'd be killing PPV **** too. Ali was great at hyping & bragging about any & everything.
            He would fu*k, if he were in his prime today, he'd be more like Conor McGregor - He'd be bragging about his PPV numbers, but he'd also have the spirit of a warrior and unafraid to take risks in order to prove he was the greatest, like the nickname says.

Comment

Working...
            X