No announcement yet.

Arum pulled the long con ODlh and ruined Golden boy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arum pulled the long con ODlh and ruined Golden boy

If we rewind back a couple of years ago Goldenboy was seen as the top promotional out fit in the sport with the biggest attraction in the sport Mayweather and rising star Mexican sensation Saul "Canelo"Alvarez heading by far the deepest and most talented roster in the sport. The outfit was managed primarily by Richard Schaeffer and boxing's most mysterious man ivy leaguer and former concert promoter Al Haymon with Eric Gomez serving as matchmaker and Oscar embattled with his many demons serving as a figurehead/mascot. For awhile it all worked, pockets were lined, records were broken, deals were brokered etc. Now comes the irony, on the eve of his company's stars biggest night Oscar enters rehab seeking help from drug addiction/alcoholism. He comes out a changed man* ready to seize control and vows to make amends with his former promoter and business competitor Bob Arum. Meanwhile as he's in the process of seizing control he realizes that while he was asleep at the wheel pen had been put to paper and that his roster as he knew it was no longer his. When you want control you want full control not some measly fee,so what does he do he runs to Arum who whispers sweet nothings in his ear about joint lawsuits,co promoted fights and genuine friendship. The rest is easy, Arum goes on to work with Haymon on boxing's most lucrative fight in the sports history, eventually drops his lawsuit which seriously damaged Oscar's case and slowly sat back and watched as one of his greatest adversaries crumbled. I left out couple of things such as Oscar banishing Schaeffer and Canelo's former promoter's scoring a huge victory over Goldenboy in court.

Say what you will about Arum but the man put a successful company on life support with a meal

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
      Say what you will about Arum but the man put a successful company on life support with a meal
      It's a smart business move, but taking advantage of an addict is not an admirable move.

Comment

Originally posted by frantic fighter View Post
        It's a smart business move, but taking advantage of an addict is not an admirable move.
        Oscar is a grown man and Arum didn't force him to do anything.

Comment

Played him like a damn sucker. You almost feel bad for him. Almost

Comment

we all know that famous quote from arum "yesterday I lied today I'm telling the truth" oscar should have known better especially since he's known him for years you just cant trust the bobfather.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
              Oscar is a grown man and Arum didn't force him to do anything.
              I know that Oscar is a grown man,but it still seems like Arum took advantage of him during a vulnerable period in his life. I personally wouldn't do that to someone looking for friendship, but Arum probably doesn't care much about morality these days anyway.

Comment

I don't really see the con or trick Arum pulled on Oscar. But I definitely feel like Schaefer should have been listened to with all things Arum related. Schaefer seems like a cat who's just trying to make money in boxing while putting on shows fans actually wanna see more often than most promoters. If he says Arum is a f#ckboy he's a f#ckboy.

Comment

Originally posted by frantic fighter View Post
                  If we rewind back a couple of years ago Goldenboy was seen as the top promotional out fit in the sport with the biggest attraction in the sport Mayweather and rising star Mexican sensation Saul "Canelo"Alvarez heading by far the deepest and most talented roster in the sport. The outfit was managed primarily by Richard Schaeffer and boxing's most mysterious man ivy leaguer and former concert promoter Al Haymon with Eric Gomez serving as matchmaker and Oscar embattled with his many demons serving as a figurehead/mascot. For awhile it all worked, pockets were lined, records were broken, deals were brokered etc. Now comes the irony, on the eve of his company's stars biggest night Oscar enters rehab seeking help from drug addiction/alcoholism. He comes out a changed man* ready to seize control and vows to make amends with his former promoter and business competitor Bob Arum. Meanwhile as he's in the process of seizing control he realizes that while he was asleep at the wheel pen had been put to paper and that his roster as he knew it was no longer his. When you want control you want full control not some measly fee,so what does he do he runs to Arum who whispers sweet nothings in his ear about joint lawsuits,co promoted fights and genuine friendship. The rest is easy, Arum goes on to work with Haymon on boxing's most lucrative fight in the sports history, eventually drops his lawsuit which seriously damaged Oscar's case and slowly sat back and watched as one of his greatest adversaries crumbled. I left out couple of things such as Oscar banishing Schaeffer and Canelo's former promoter's scoring a huge victory over Goldenboy in court.
                  Interesting theory. I may not agree with you 100% but I do believe Schaeffer, Arum and Haymon, all very smart and successful businessmen, realized they could manipulate ODH and take advantage of him.

Long before we as fans knew the deal, they all knew who the real ODH was. They knew his shortcomings and where he was vulnerable. They knew he was an addict and knew he wasn't giving his business the attention he should've.

I don't feel bad for him at all.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    Interesting theory. I may not agree with you 100% but I do believe Schaeffer, Arum and Haymon, all very smart and successful businessmen, realized they could manipulate ODH and take advantage of him.

Long before we as fans knew the deal, they all knew who the real ODH was. They knew his shortcomings and where he was vulnerable. They knew he was an addict and knew he wasn't giving his business the attention he should've.

I don't feel bad for him at all.
                    In theory at least shouldn't we as fans root for a fighter to be successful in the promotional aspect of boxing. All of these business types have been robbing fighters blind since the inception of the sport.

Comment

Working...
                    X