Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    Film: Iron Man 3

My grade: B-/B (couldn't decide)

Though some may disagree, I didn't find it as good as the first two. Now maybe it's because of how the villain turned out, but that left a bad taste in my mouth, whether it was a twist or not. Overall.....solid, but given the standard the Batman trilogy set for comic book movies, it was just alright. Too many corny one liners for me, and a let down with the villain.

************* Spoilers =======

and the volcanic hands people were really ****ing lame. They couldn't have picked better **** for iron man to fight??
    Last edited by DARKSEID; 05-16-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Noose View Post
      The army nukes NY.

And right at the end, you see footage of the couple by the beach, and when the camera looks out at the sea, on the right, in the far distance, you see something fall out of the sky and splash into the ocean. That footage was shot before all the mayhem started, so we assume the reason the video is so important to the government, is that it showed the monster entering Earth. Or at least thats how i interpret it.

this scene blew past by me, i didn't see the splashing to ocean part

have to check out my DVD to confirm, thanks man

Comment

• Freeze Frame (2004)
        A guy gets accused of a horrible crime that receives tons of heavy tabloid media coverage. After the trial ends he's set free, but the damage has been done. The now ever paranoid dude decides to videotape every single second of his existence so he can have proof of his whereabouts at all times in case he is ever accused of a crime again. This really intriguing premise makes this movie worth watching, but the last third of the film starts to get a bit out of control. The ending could have been better and there were too many plot twists out of nowhere. Still, it's a good enough, well-made (for the most part) flick and wasn't mad that I watched it, even if it does have some flaws. (6.5-7 out of 10)

Godmoney (1999)
        This is one of those really low-budget movies that sorta has a simplistic plot, kind of a slow pace, and sometimes iffy acting but somehow works (IMO). Basically, it's about a dude from the East Coast who has to make a getaway and ends up on the other side of the map in the Valley. He's got no I.D. or real job skills so he ends up working at a pizza joint, but after he loses that job, he's faced with some tough decisions on how he's gonna make money to survive. It's no major thing, but thought it was cool enough for a small picture. Soundtrack is packed with bands I don't listen to or know about, but the music sounded OK most of the time: Pennywise, Descendents, MXPX, etc. (6 out of 10)

Close Your Eyes (2002)
        I think this was called Doctor Sleep over in Europe. It's about a hypnotherapist with special powers who gets involved helping the police track a Satanic serial killer type. It's an above average, mystery thriller and would recommend it. (7 out of 10)

Comment

• The Ward (2010)
          Did a John Carpenter mini-marathon recently, re-watching some of his films I hadn't seen in a long time, like Assault on Precinct 13 and Big Trouble in Little China (both still very entertaining) as well as checking some of his movies that I somehow missed out on when they came out, like Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness. Prince of Darkness is '80s Carpenter returning to low-budget filmmaking. It's strangely paced, the action builds up nicely, and is a great example of how he uses his music to enrich the story. Still I can see how some might not dig it, but I was into the odd atmosphere the movie creates (plus, there's an obscure Asian actress in this that is normal every day hot). To be honest, I didn't get into In the Mouth of Madness (1994) too much. There's certainly some really good scenes in it and I respect what Carpenter was trying to do, but I'm gonna have to revisit this one at a later time and give it another chance.

I also ended up watching The Ward, which I think is the last movie he directed a few years ago. I was really curious to see what a JC film would be like in the present time. Overall, The Ward is a standard, solidly-made horror flick. The main problem I have with modern horror movies is that they all seem to look alike (I'm talking about the way they're shot and edited). I guess you might be able to make the same argument about '80s horror, too. But although there were times when this flick fell into the generic mill of '00's horror flicks, I think it did benefit from some of that old school direction in which scenes were simplified down and not shot all fucking arty or haphazard to create some kind of weak-ass "terror." The story ends up being kind of basic when you stop and think about it (you do have to stop and think for a few seconds once the reveal happens but I think it's pretty clear), which might leave some people feeling underwhelmed or confused, but I think Carpenter pulls it off. This is obviously a shite review, but The Ward ain't bad. (Also, I'm really into brunettes, but the blonde star Amber Heard looks pretty hot here. Some of the other chicks look good too.) Not sure I can recommend the movie but I'm not disappointed that I watched it and Carpenter IMO still got it. (6.5 out of 10)

Comment

• heard after earth is very bad, anyone seen it?

Also for all the movie freaks out there check out this site: http://www.gofobo.com/screenings/search

For movie screening, usually tickets are free too.

Comment

• Film: The Intouchables

My Rating: 8.9/10

Quick Review: This is a very heart warming movie with a lot of soul, which is currently now available on Netflix for those interested. I also thought this movie was hilarious with plenty of comedic moments, but still managed a healthy balance along with the serious content of the film. Both lead actors were superb in their performances. It is a French movie, so be advised you will have to read subtitles, but this should be no obstacle for a serious film lover.

Comment

• The Place Beyond the Pines (2012)
                I really enjoyed it. But it seemed really slow moving. Great acting. Bradley Cooper, Ryan Gosling, Eva Mendes, Ray Liotta etc.

'A motorcycle stunt rider turns to robbing banks as a way to provide for his lover and their newborn child, a decision that puts him on a collision course with an ambitious rookie cop navigating a department ruled by a corrupt detective'

Sounds dull, but there was something very realistic about the whole film. And it seems to be all about fatherhood. There is also a great chase sequence that was done brilliantly.

And, if anyone else has seen it...doesnt Ryan Gosling play almost exactly the same character in Drive? In that he was a part time stunt car driver, in this he is a stunt bike rider, and they are both mixed up in violent crimes and both beat the crap out of people suddenly and horrify the sexy would-be girlfriend witnessing the act.

So...if you liked Drive, watch it.
                8.5/10.
                Last edited by The Noose; 05-31-2013, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• Inglorious bastards
                  Joe Louis? Jesse Owens? Louis Armstrong?
                  Not to bad generously give it a 7 out of 10
                  Lol at the bit they try to get the German chicks in the lake man and the black guy gets them caught cause he's a black American ( funny ) .
                  Last edited by alza1988; 06-04-2013, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• I took the family to see Monster University

I watched the whole thing without falling asleep it was pretty funny and enjoyable

If you got little ones around it's a must see

Comment

• Flight was a good film gave it a 7/10
                      http://viooz.co/movies/14234-flight-2012.html

Comment

Working...
                      X