Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eddie Hearn was involved in the Golden Boy/DAZN deal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like he was involved in some kind of capacity. Even if just to offer advice to the other DAZN guys, like with the WBSS, he's part of the team so i'm sure he's asked for input.

If he's say anything that's a miss, I'm sure Oscar will/would speak out. I was thinking the same the other day when Hearn was talking about Canelo's future fights.

Comment

What does it matter? Wilder/Haymon weirdos not wantng to face the reality that Hearn probably is the most powerful promoter in boxing atm.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
        Not only that but I'm fairly sure DAZN would have leaned on his experience for the negotiations, in fact he states in the video that initially the negotiations started with him
        Yea see him trying to deal with Oscar himself is what leads me to believe he's got some upside here. Why else would another promoter give a f#ck where some other promoter was going to do business & where a fighter, who wasn't going to sign with him, would fight? Maybe there are some small minor reasons, but one big one would be he has some upside in that situation via a subscribers bonus.

but I'm sure he would have had an input with what was offered,
        I tend to doubt this. Hearn is middle management here best case. He's not calling any shots on DAZN's multi-billion dollar businesses across numerous platforms in 7 countries. Hearn is in control of his $125M. Thats about it I believe. If he has some official or unofficial position as a programming director or if he's just getting a bonus for subscribers who sign up for DAZN idk, but he's not shot calling for DAZN I'd be willing to wager.

Plus I'm sure Canelo's future opponents, specifically Jacobs and a potential Andrade unification were discussed.
        I bet that was more joked about then seriously discussed cuz while I'm sure DAZN, not Hearn, has some control & veto power with Canelo's opponent selection this deal was about Canelo more then Canelo's potential future opponent selections.

Everyone knows the 160lb landscape. Its an unneeded discussion to bring up Jacobs or Andrade in a serious way at this point when there will be plenty of times to discuss those fights in the future when Canelo was officially signed to DAZN. I actually think Hearn is doing some wishful thinking with saying Jacobs is the most likely guy for May 2019. I don't even think we know for sure if Canelo goes back to 160 after this 168 Fielding fight.

Canelo and GBP would have wanted 3 main assurances , Money, dates, opponents. Hearn has a role in all and a big say in 2, dates and opponents.
        Again I think you are giving Hearn MORE power then he has. The reality is Canelo has the biggest DAZN deal right now. Canelo is gonna have the say on the dates he wants to fight on. Hearn will be getting veto'd automatically now & he surely knew that going in.

And I'd bet you he'll be doing UK cards in May & September to give us fans a full day of boxing in the UK & the US & Matchroom USA will take those days off. And Hearn didn't concede that nor will he be conceding any other dates Canelo wants to fight on. Canelo will be taking those dates if he chooses to take any non-May or September dates cuz ultimately Canelo is more important to DAZN's success now than Matchroom Boxing & Hearn.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax teller View Post
          They would have been foolish to not involve him at all since they're already paying for him, just a matter of fact POV.
          Well I'd add that Hearn would be foolish to waste his time on this if he didn't have upside too. If Hearn is as busy as he is & trying to sign big names to Matchroom USA he shouldn't be wasting time on all the DAZN money Canelo & Oscar are getting unless he is getting direct money or future money via hitting subscriber goals (as I'm suggesting) from said deal being made.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax teller View Post
            Why are you trying so hard to come up with theories where Hearn is not involved?
            LOL I know right. I wonder if he stretched before he reached that far

Comment

Originally posted by Rockybigblower View Post
              Or maybe he was listening in to make sure GBP wasn't being offered a better deal than the one he is on and that GBP wasn't bargaining to have Matchroom removed from their position sometime further down the track.
              LOL okkkkkkkaaaaaay.

I feel like your searching for random reasons now. Like I said to your original thought...maybe your right...but logically thinking about this whole landscape it would make sense for DAZN to give Hearn a subscriber goal deal.

So him signing fighters to Matchroom USA help him out OR even showing some salesmanship & recruiting big name free agent fighters or solid roster having promoters with drawing ability help him out. That seems like the most obvious reasoning.

But yea it could be a million other things like he wanted tips on putting stuff up his ass from Oscar as I mentioned. Who's to say specifically whats up. We are speculating & with speculation comes %'s of likeliness or unlikeliness.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
                And if the thread was about another notorious liar, I'd say the same thing.

You have no idea if he was at the meeting or not. Just because a lie isn't denied doesn't mean it's not a lie. Hearn lies too often to accept anything he says as the gospel. Him saying something should never be the "proof" that something is true.

I have no idea.
                You talk nonsense. If he was such a notorious liar fighters wouldn't sign with him. You couldn't even name me 1 fighter who is/was signed to him that felt he's been lied to or treated unfairly by him. Does Hearn contradict himself at times? Yes but so does Wilder, so does Finkel and most people in boxing as the dynamics of situations change.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Yea see him trying to deal with Oscar himself is what leads me to believe he's got some upside here. Why else would another promoter give a f#ck where some other promoter was going to do business & where a fighter, who wasn't going to sign with him, would fight? Maybe there are some small minor reasons, but one big one would be he has some upside in that situation via a subscribers bonus.

I tend to doubt this. Hearn is middle management here best case. He's not calling any shots on DAZN's multi-billion dollar businesses across numerous platforms in 7 countries. Hearn is in control of his $125M. Thats about it I believe. If he has some official or unofficial position as a programming director or if he's just getting a bonus for subscribers who sign up for DAZN idk, but he's not shot calling for DAZN I'd be willing to wager.

I bet that was more joked about then seriously discussed cuz while I'm sure DAZN, not Hearn, has some control & veto power with Canelo's opponent selection this deal was about Canelo more then Canelo's potential future opponent selections.

Everyone knows the 160lb landscape. Its an unneeded discussion to bring up Jacobs or Andrade in a serious way at this point when there will be plenty of times to discuss those fights in the future when Canelo was officially signed to DAZN. I actually think Hearn is doing some wishful thinking with saying Jacobs is the most likely guy for May 2019. I don't even think we know for sure if Canelo goes back to 160 after this 168 Fielding fight.

Again I think you are giving Hearn MORE power then he has. The reality is Canelo has the biggest DAZN deal right now. Canelo is gonna have the say on the dates he wants to fight on. Hearn will be getting veto'd automatically now & he surely knew that going in.

And I'd bet you he'll be doing UK cards in May & September to give us fans a full day of boxing in the UK & the US & Matchroom USA will take those days off. And Hearn didn't concede that nor will he be conceding any other dates Canelo wants to fight on. Canelo will be taking those dates if he chooses to take any non-May or September dates cuz ultimately Canelo is more important to DAZN's success now than Matchroom Boxing & Hearn.
                  He dealt with Eric Gomez, and based off the Fielding negotiations the DAZN negotiations started. Did you watch the video?

Maybe he has, but ultimately he wants DAZN to be a success and if it is, him and his fighters become successful too, Canelo speeds that process up significantly. Whether there is a direct financial gain is not that important in the big picture, because he is taking little financial risk himself.

You don't think potential opponents weren't discussed seriously? Not sure what planet you're on. One of the first concerns for Canelo would have been, if we can't get GGG over, who else can we fight? Naturally potentially having 2 of the other belt holders on DAZN would have been a caveat, they are both with Matchroom. Hearn and Gomez have been discussing Jacobs since GGG, it's in the interview.

You don't think they would lean on Hearns for the negotiations, an experienced boxing promoter with a knowledge of the numbers? Im 100% sure they did, they didn't pull that £365 million out of their asses, and as smart as the DAZN guys are they won't have anyone there with an understanding of boxing financials as Eddie does. Thats one of the reasons they brought him in, they needed someone like Hearn once they decided to venture into boxing.

Your making it into something more than it is, it's not about ego, the discussion about dates would have been about scheduling and getting everyone on the same page.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_Leia View Post
                    Straight from the horses mouth

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MudOcyAwN6U

Start from 12:00 - 14:00.

Eddie Hearn is the programming director of Boxing for DAZN besides his exclusive contract. Anyone who thought he was involved in some capacity is bonkers.
                    Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
                    Why do you assume something is true just because he said it? He's a promoter. It's his job to lie.

I'm not saying he wasn't involved, but this thread is a classic example of AJ fans believing everything Hearn says is the gospel.
                    Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
                    So you don't believe he contacted Eric Gomez .. and you don't believe he was in the meeting in LA with Oscar.. Gomez and John skipper?
                    Apparently, Hearn is the only public figure in the world who can tell barefaced lies - in public, on the record - about other public figures and entities without ever being sued or even contradicted by the people he lies about.

Comment

The first part of the video or from the part he started talking about the GBP deal, it seemed like it was Canelo centric and he was hoping to make some sort of co-promotional deal with GBP for his fights. I could be wrong, but shortly after he says if someone wanted Joshua, I would just go make the deal myself alluding to GBP doing that with DAZN. He said for GBP, wherever Canelo went, that's where the rest of the stable was going to go so they wanted other dates which they got.

Could Hearn have been involved in the initial talks with Gomez? Sure, but it seems like the type of deal he was discussing wasn't what GBP eventually agreed to with DAZN. And it is no coincidence that ESPN/Ring TV/UCN all made SURE to report that Hearn wasn't involved. Who do you think was feeding them that? Surely wasn't Hearn. That was GBP wanting that out to the public. So it could be semantics, but clearly Hearn thinks he was more involved than what GBP believes.

Comment

Working...
                      X