Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much should you bend your knees while in a boxing stance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much should you bend your knees while in a boxing stance?

Obviously it’s important to keep your knees bent while boxing, but how much is optimal? Should you bend them to the point where your sitting in your stance (similar to a half squat?) or bend them very slightly where your legs and body is still straight. I understand they bend more as you slip, duck, punch, etc. but in a basic stance and guard, how much should they bend?
    Last edited by Beasting102; 06-08-2020, 12:09 AM.

Originally posted by Beasting102 View Post
    Obviously it’s important to keep your knees bent while boxing, but how much is optimal? Should you bend them to the point where your sitting in your stance (similar to a half squat?) or bend them very slightly where your legs and body is still straight. I understand they bend more as you slip, duck, punch, etc. but in a basic stance and guard, how much should they bend?
    I sort of lower myself, so I’m not upright and rigid
    Last edited by Dawn-nightmarex; 06-10-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I don't bend too much, too worried a counter will cause me to drop

Comment

Just a little bit. So you're calf's and thighs are both engaged but not fully loaded. It's hard to say because it will be slightly different for everyone and dependant on your stance.

Where it feels most comfortable. You want to be able to push off using all the different muscles in your legs. The bend is there so you're already halfway ****ed to move in any direction.

The position you feel like you have the most balance in is probably the right amount of bend. Without seeing though it's hard to say.

Comment

In your stance without throwing punches, your knees should be 'softened'. Meaning bent slightly but in a relaxed fashion, be comfortable in your stance.

When throwing punches, you should bend your knees as you punch, and use your legs to turn your body into your shots. Don't tense up, stay relaxed as you drive through the full range of motion, clench fist on impact and explode through target.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
            In your stance without throwing punches, your knees should be 'softened'. Meaning bent slightly but in a relaxed fashion, be comfortable in your stance.

When throwing punches, you should bend your knees as you punch, and use your legs to turn your body into your shots. Don't tense up, stay relaxed as you drive through the full range of motion, clench fist on impact and explode through target.
            ^^^^^This.

Comment

Watch as much film as u can. Practice ur steps in all directions and find what’s most comfortable for u. Then find fighters that stances are similar and try them out, make adjustments. I mean very few people are going to be able to bend as low and crab walk like sweet pea. Height is a factor. Weight is a factor. Trinidad’s back foot was always up on the front balls of his toes, Oscar kept his back foot flat and almost dragged it along the ground. Knees are also pretty unique to each person. Sum people can’t help but blow them out constantly, others not at all. If u can drop step effortlessly like say Loma, that gives u angles of attack. U can get more flexible etc. but I wouldn’t waste my time on any movements that seem very unnatural and cause strain, will be a liability and never a strength.

Comment

Working...
              X