Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Is Pacquiao Destined To Suffer The Fate of Ali, Leonard & Others?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sometimes wonder how many of the keyboard army here actually fight themselves?

Fighting, training and the atmosphere of a good camp is very, very hard to give up...especially if you are paid a fortune to do it.

I stopped at 40, I have friends in their fifties than STILL fight in Regional bouts.

Never judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes.

Comment

I thought this was going to be one of those 'predictable' types of stories, full of cliche', hyperbole, and tiresome, over-used phrases, words and references.

So I was surprised at how well Mr Rosenthal avoided such an easily cookie-cutter style of writing and genuinely, interestingly, persistently presented a great back and forth argument for both fighters - even critically second guessing some points that are easy to make.

So job well done Mr Rosenthal - I doubt in the rough and tumble of boxing politics and it's scribes rarely is a compliment forwarded, but this was a sterling effort, almost like a narrative of a fight itself.

Pacquiao is something of an enigma in the sport - although only those who have a great eye or who have done proper fight training will be able to appreciate the rarest of boxing skills Pac possessed ( and perhaps still possess though diminished).

That has been his ability to throw punches and get out of the way with 'the bounce'. There is just a slight difference between those like Ali, Leonard and just a handful of others -

Yet it becomes a chasm in a fight when a boxer can coordinate his entire body into a singular unified object in terms of balance and multiple movements in between the half second the feet leave the canvas and touch down again.
      Ballet dancers and gymnasts would understand the type of bio-mechanical point that I am ill-equipped to articulate.

To try and finish the point - I would boldly say that 98% of fighters throughout the entire history of the sport may have had speed, technique, athleticism, hand-eye coordination, power, heart, a good chin etc etc - but they still need even if just briefly - to set themselves properly to throw effective punches.

Throwing effective punches while bouncing from toe to toe is just so rare that it may save Pac in that he still has that muscle memory.
      This is an interesting bout because what awaits them in the ring are questions they will both have to face: for Pac it is can he still go round, and for Thurman it will be not so conclusive maybe, but he will still have to show whether he has what it takes to FINISH Pac's career, to beat him up, to beat him or has his fire gone out and will he get beaten?

It's highly unlikely, but then again I'll finish with a cliché: stranger things have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by boxinggod101 View Post
        I think Thurman will win but it will be competitive. unless he KOs Pacquiao with one shot he wont be giving a one sided beating to Manny Manny isnt the type to shell up and take punches without responding. If you put the pressure on him, expect a hard left counter. I expect Thurman to use his legs and reach to outpoint Manny. Thurman power could make Manny a little more gun shy too. He hasnt been the same after the MArquez KO and hes now 40 years old.Thurman might give problem at this stage.

Hope Manny catches him and beat him but if I was betting with my head I would put money on Thurman UD
        Yes I would go with that as well, but I would add , it needs to be a comprehensive beating.

Comment

Pacquiao has declined hugely in the last 9 years but he is still a top 5 welter which really shows the level he was when he was in his prime.

If at 40 he can compete with these top welters he would have done something I don't think any other welter has done.

Pacquiao still doen't get hit clean a lot and still has his power to keep fighters honest.

He should retire though, he has got nothing left to prove in the game.

I think he is just staying in the game to get a rematch with Floyd, but Floyd ducked him for 6 years the first time around and it looks like Floyd will make that at least another 6 years and most likely never take a rematch.

Comment

Yes, Pacquiao started to decline after the Margarito fight at 150 pounds catch weight 9 years ago!

Comment

There's one question only Keith Thurman can answer on fight night: Can he handle Manny Pacquiao's SPEED? I'm not sure if Thurman has fought anyone who had or even came close to Pacquiao's hand and foot speed. But if Thurman can, he wins; otherwise, it will be a long night for Thurman.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFlip View Post
                There's one question only Keith Thurman can answer on fight night: Can he handle Manny Pacquiao's SPEED? I'm not sure if Thurman has fought anyone who had or even came close to Pacquiao's hand and foot speed. But if Thurman can, he wins; otherwise, it will be a long night for Thurman.
                I believed Floyd play the Judas here for Manny. Thurman said Manny will get crucified. Floyd goad Manny in fighting Thurman to fatten the pot for their rematch which Floyd don’t have intention to do. Come fight night they will crucify unsuspecting Pacquiao.
                On the flip side, Floyd decieved Thurman he can handle Pacquaio and will get surprise for his embarrassment. Then a rematch for another $600M will ultimately happen that leave boxing anither nail in the coffin!

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Grazed the article.

And don't know wtf its about if its not getting ktfo/having an embarrassing L.

Thing is Manny had embarrassing L's & he's already overstayed his time so get the point of the article even less now. I'd argue anyone who's over 35 years old & isn't #1 & has more than 7 digits in their bank account has overstayed.

Dig the article writer on the PBC podcast doe. Respect.
                  When you talk about Pac getting KTFO early in his career, you are talking about a not prime under developed fighter fighting at too low of a weight class. He was probably eating whatever cat he could find raw. 3rd world style. Yes, he got knocked out by Marquez in his prime. One of the top Mexican fighters ever. I'd still put Pac's opposition and wins over a lot of today's fighters. Will he beat Thurman in his 40s? I don't know, but I sure don't count his losses against him. Saying he got KTFO in his teens really doesn't mean much.

Comment

Originally posted by gritsteel View Post
                    It's not Pacman's time yet.

Ali, Leonard, Morales, Salido, etc. were really shot when they decided to fight their last fights. Pacman is still going strong. Come fight night, I think we will see a shift in betting odds once the Asian money comes in.

Ali, Leonard, Morales, and Salido.

Four of the greatest legends that ever laced them up.

Comment

Eventually but not now. No gaps in fights, speed still there, great ring IQ, great defense, unpredictable offence. All the others were damaged goods ahead of time and it was obvious in each case.

Comment

Working...
                      X