Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this song/sound?

This is Post Malone, the guy who did "White Iverson"

What do you guys think of this sound??

The beat is awesome. I love that sort of tripped out melody with a heavy beat that has become popularized. Overall though I'd say he's very generic and sounds like everyone else with the autoune voice and random babblings. That being said, I like the song.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
      The beat is awesome. I love that sort of tripped out melody with a heavy beat that has become popularized. Overall though I'd say he's very generic and sounds like everyone else with the autoune voice and random babblings. That being said, I like the song.
      I feel like this is the new sound for 2016. Beats are incredibly melodic and "atmospheric"

Sort of similar to Drake's Hotline Bling in how mellowed out the sample is.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
        I feel like this is the new sound for 2016. Beats are incredibly melodic and "atmospheric"

Sort of similar to Drake's Hotline Bling in how mellowed out the sample is.
        First off, I do like the beat, and "trap" beats usually grate on me because of how cheap they can sound.

However, the sound doesn't seem new to me, feel like this has been one of the major production trends of the 2010s: trap-style percussion with a greater emphasis on somber bluesy/soulful melody rather than menacing bass to mask the soulless/unintelligent lyrical content and delivery lol. He would've been better served singing on the entire track instead of rapping. I actually wonder what a vocalist would do with the track.

This has atmosphere too, but the melodic line is less defined and less pretty. Since the emotion behind the track is venomous, the bass is more intense.

Hell, even 50 has a somber trap-style beat on his latest mixtape:

The style is essentially a fusion of Ross' MMG melodies and trap-style production. If I listened more diligently to today's Rap, I'm sure I could come with other examples from more popular artists like Game/Ross/Wayne. Forgive my cynicism and pretentiousness, but it seems like everyone is using the same synth melodies and percussion kits/patterns.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 01-06-2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
          First off, I do like the beat, and "trap" beats usually grate on me because of how cheap they can sound.

However, the sound doesn't seem new to me, feel like this has been one of the major production trends of the 2010s: trap-style percussion with a greater emphasis on somber bluesy/soulful melody rather than menacing bass to mask the soulless/unintelligent lyrical content and delivery lol. He would've been better served singing on the entire track instead of rapping. I actually wonder what a vocalist would do with the track.

This has atmosphere too, but the melodic line is less defined and less pretty. Since the emotion behind the track is venomous, the bass is more intense.

Hell, even 50 has a somber trap-style beat on his latest mixtape:

The style is essentially a fusion of Ross' MMG melodies and trap-style production. If I listened more diligently to today's Rap, I'm sure I could come with other examples from more popular artists like Game/Ross/Wayne. Forgive my cynicism and pretentiousness, but it seems like everyone is using the same synth melodies and percussion kits/patterns.
          Definitely agree with you here. Auto-tune is another big thing with younger artists too.

Songs I'm talking about are songs like this..

just the vibe, the image, the melodic beats.. kind of hard to pinpoint what I'm getting at, but I feel collectively they have a "newer" sound.. maybe its because I'm just part of the same generation that these guys are from though..

Oddly enough 50 has Post featured on that new tape:
          Last edited by SlySlickSmooth; 01-06-2016, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Definitely agree with you here. Auto-tune is another big thing with younger artists too.

Songs I'm talking about are songs like this..

just the vibe, the image, the melodic beats.. kind of hard to pinpoint what I'm getting at, but I feel collectively they have a "newer" sound.. maybe its because I'm just part of the same generation that these guys are from though..

Oddly enough 50 has Post featured on that new tape:
            I listened to both songs, and I was truly annoyed by the autotune lol. It just adds to the overall synthetic nature of the music, it's like they're trying to make the music sound as fake as possible. Saying that, I enjoyed "Antidote", but Young Thug is just.... What is the song at the very beginning of the Scott video? right before the beat switches to "Antidote"? Beat sounds interesting, but all that mumbling though...wtf? One of these days there's gonna be a posse cut where you won't be able to understand anybody's lyrics cuz all of these dudes are gonna be mumbling through their verses.

I think what we're seeing is a greater desire to blur the lines between the seemingly incongruous worlds of Trap and RnB, and an even greater desire to create a sound influenced by drugs, and/or directly mimicking the experience of drug use. Those sizzurp sing-songy hooks with the verses filled by all sorts of background sounds and adlibs ("Oh My God!" "Cocaina!" "Hollywood!") are meant to add to the 'trippy' sound. The NY crews (A$AP Mob, Underachievers, Flatbush Zombies) have been flirting with this sound for years though. I can handle most of A$AP's music because they don't adhere to all of these tropes. For example, Ferg 'sings' on "Hood Pope" and "Cocaine Castle" but doesn't utilize any autotune (not to my knowledge anyway). He does utilize autotune a bit on his latest mixtape though and it was hard to listen to. As for the 50 track, it didn't even register in my head that I had already heard Post Malone before listening to "Too Young" lmao. Most of these rappers just don't stick with me, it's really bizarre.

Sly, you make it sound like I'm not part of your generation. Regardless of how much "old" music I listen to, I'm still part of this generation of ****ing degenerates

I was watching these yesterday...can you imagine most current rappers being in Ice-T's position trying to defend one's music?

Last edited by kiaba360; 01-07-2016, 01:13 AM.

Comment

I listened to both songs, and I was truly annoyed by the autotune lol. It just adds to the overall synthetic nature of the music, it's like they're trying to make the music sound as fake as possible. Saying that, I enjoyed "Antidote", but Young Thug is just.... What is the song at the very beginning of the Scott video? right before the beat switches to "Antidote"? Beat sounds interesting, but all that mumbling though...wtf? One of these days there's gonna be a posse cut where you won't be able to understand anybody's lyrics cuz all of these dudes are gonna be mumbling through their verses.

I think what we're seeing is a greater desire to blur the lines between the seemingly incongruous worlds of Trap and RnB, and an even greater desire to create a sound influenced by drugs, and/or directly mimicking the experience of drug use. Those sizzurp sing-songy hooks with the verses filled by all sorts of background sounds and adlibs ("Oh My God!" "Cocaina!" "Hollywood!") are meant to add to the 'trippy' sound. The NY crews (A$AP Mob, Underachievers, Flatbush Zombies) have been flirting with this sound for years though. I can handle most of A$AP's music because they don't adhere to all of these tropes. For example, Ferg 'sings' on "Hood Pope" and "Cocaine Castle" but doesn't utilize any autotune (not to my knowledge anyway). He does utilize autotune a bit on his latest mixtape though and it was hard to listen to. As for the 50 track, it didn't even register in my head that I had already heard Post Malone before listening to "Too Young" lmao. Most of these rappers just don't stick with me, it's really bizarre.

Sly, you make it sound like I'm not part of your generation. Regardless of how much "old" music I listen to, I'm still part of this generation of ****ing degenerates

I was watching these yesterday...can you imagine most current rappers being in Ice-T's position trying to defend one's music?

I swear bruh... this is IT. I never want to explain it like that because it just sounds too obvious but man maybe it just IS that obvious...

T-Pain done fucked it all up.

Hip-Hop is one interesting genre nowadays. Phonaesthetics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonaesthetics) is heavily important with these beats.
              Last edited by SlySlickSmooth; 01-07-2016, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I swear bruh... this is IT. I never want to explain it like that because it just sounds too obvious but man maybe it just IS that obvious...

T-Pain done fucked it all up.

Hip-Hop is one interesting genre nowadays. Phonaesthetics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonaesthetics) is heavily important with these beats.
                T-Pain isn't nearly as bad as he was made to be. I think he suffered from over-exposure/over-saturation, but his use of autotune never really got on my nerves. Sonically speaking, T-Pain is more tolerable than 98% of guys who decide to use it now imo. He used it more as a complementary tool and his autotune sounds a bit different than what you hear now. Listen to "I'm Sprung" and he goes all out with the auto-tune, but it doesn't sound completely horrible. What I think he's really responsible for is he made rappers think that everyone can sing. The use of autotune comes from guys wanting to imitate or evolve the Screwed sound, but their desire to inject melody in the form of song at the expense of sounding foolish is the real head scratcher.

He actually sounds decent without auto-tune:
                Last edited by kiaba360; 01-07-2016, 01:04 PM.

Comment

For most people, if they can't "feel" the music, then it doesn't matter. That's the problem I think many younger people have with 80s and 90s rap music. It feels distant and unrelatable to them, therefore they can't appreciate its worth/value. Look at the energy in the theatre, it's similar to what you would see at a Metal concert. Public Enemy was once seen as congruous to Metal, but now Trap music is what brings out that type of energy.
                  Last edited by kiaba360; 01-07-2016, 01:02 PM.

Comment

For most people, if they can't "feel" the music, then it doesn't matter. That's the problem I think many younger people have with 80s and 90s rap music. It feels distant and unrelatable to them, therefore they can't appreciate its worth/value. Look at the energy in the theatre, it's similar to what you would see at a Metal concert. Public Enemy was once seen as congruous to Metal, but now Trap music is what brings out that type of energy.
                    This.. My playlist is mainly older stuff or Joey Bada$$ and Kendrick. But damn if I'm at these concerts I'm making the whole damn group turn up.

**** looks mad fun to be at... and makes a great moment to add to your social media..

Comment

Working...
                    X