Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the desire 4 Great White Hope still exist or have times changed among media/fans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    has their ever been a great black hope? no
    Jack Johnson was absolutely, positively lauded by african-americans as a "great black hope"

Comment

That's provoking as ****, something is wrong with TS

Comment

I cant say I agree with that entirely but Every one has some sort of bias or preference whether it be nationality, style or whatever

personally if say Wilder fights Joshua, Id be rooting for Wilder because im American and born in Alabama but its not about the race

or if Mikey Garcia fought Easter Jr....Im riding with Mikey because IVE been a fan of his longer and I like his style. Mikey is one of my top 5 fav active fighters. if easter beat him, im a new big fan.

many fans just support their countrymen, but here in America sometimes fans support foreigners more than our own champions and stars. especially the eastern European fighters....they get mad love from americans.

I wouldn't say it's prominent with any race these days in the western world of boxing,
        Race is the least of my concern.

Wanting your countrymen to do well is perfectly fine in my eyes, I will be rooting for a British fighter every time.

Don't get that confused with who I THINK will win because I can still think objectively but I'll want the Brit to win.

I make my judgments on fighters based on their abilities, their personality and their heart.

It baffles me to think people like a certain fighter simply because of their race. absolutely ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
          Jack Johnson was absolutely, positively lauded by african-americans as a "great black hope"
          ....if you knew the history

jack Johnson was the most hated and vilified champion of all time....got exiled because they couldn't stand to see a black man hold the most coveted title in the world

many black fighters in that era couldn't get title shots because the white champions drew the color line

Jack Johnson was only one good fighter in an era that had sam Mcvey, Joe Jeanetter, and the awesome Sam Langforde(who never got a title shot, yet beat hall of famers from lightweight to heavyweight)

so he wouldn't qualify as a "black hope" considering black fighters in those days did not get the opportunity to fight for title.

after Johnson, a black man didn't fight for the heavyweight title for decade and their were "Colored" world titles until the 1930s because white champions refused to fight the great blacks.....before Johnson, guys like peter Jackson in the 1800s couldn't get a fight with John L Sullivan and he didn't fight another white great champion until he was washed up.

ever heard of black murderers row? archie moore got a title shot at damn near 40, but many of his contemporaries had to fight each other dozens of times because the white champions wouldnt give them a title shot

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
            That's provoking as ****, something is wrong with TS
            I asked a simple question

something must be wrong with the world if I even had to think on this topic....just saying

wouldn't have to if it wasn't something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppo168 View Post
              I wouldn't say it's prominent with any race these days in the western world of boxing,
              Race is the least of my concern.

Wanting your countrymen to do well is perfectly fine in my eyes, I will be rooting for a British fighter every time.

Don't get that confused with who I THINK will win because I can still think objectively but I'll want the Brit to win.

I make my judgments on fighters based on their abilities, their personality and their heart.

It baffles me to think people like a certain fighter simply because of their race. absolutely ridiculous.
              yea its ridiculous but it exists

Comment

Originally posted by adrikitty View Post
                Like Bob Dylan said - "The times, they are a changing." NOTE: LONG POST AHEAD - most of it is just breaking down some of the divisions, doe.

And oh man, how the times have changed in the last two decades regarding race, and world champion boxers.

From the 60's through the early 2000's, black Americans were the most dominant force in boxing.

Now, the most dominant force is Europeans, and Mexicans, and other Latin Americans.

Lol boxing has been looking for a "great BLACK hope" in the HW division for over a decade! Too bad it was another White man who dethroned the long-reigning white champ in Fury.

They made have found their great black hope in Anthony Joshua. Wilder is just a joke. Lol, especially if he rematches Stiverne. Nobody even knows, nor cares he has a belt.

But seriously - let's scroll through some of the divisions, and look at the best fighters in each. I won't do the lighter divisions, cause it's obvious it's pretty much all Whites, and Latin Americans, with Asians as well:

HW: Fury, and Klitschko (Joshua has a chance if he beats Klitschko). Fury is still the undefeated champ until he loses or officially is done for good, doe.

CW: Lol nothing but a sea of WHITE faces here.

LHW: Kovalev is the best, but it's pretty competitive at the top here cause U got Ward,and Stevenson at second, and third. To round out the other best fighters it's pretty even - Joe Smith, Beterbiev White, then Pasal, and Alvarez are black.

SMW: Best is a Mexican in Gilberto Ramirez. Then u got Whites like Groves (who holds a win over Regale), and Callum Smith. And blacks like Eubank Jr. (although technically, just like Ward, he's got just as much White as black)... Jack, and DeGale.

MW: Mostly Whites in Bilyl Joe Saunders, Andy Lee, Derevchenko, Glolovkin (half Asian) is by far the best of course... Then u got blacks like Jacobs who was sparked SILLY by the White man Pirog. Lemieux another White man.

Super welter: Mostly black Americans here still, although BY FAR the BEST in this division is a White latino in Canelo Alvarez (YES, there are White latinos. Canelo is a White Latino. Just like there are BLACK LATINOS - Elder Alvarez, and Erislandry Lara, RIgo, etc.)

Welter: It's still all about Manny Pacquiao. But we got a White Latino in Garcia fighting a half black half white for the second best spot this Saturday. The rest of the names are mostly forgettable, but are black like Spence and Brook (is Brook black?)

Then from here on out, it's pretty much all Whites, and Latinos, save a few blacks like Gervonta Davis at 130 (LOL who is just BAIT for LOMACHENKO).

LOMA proved superiority by BATTERING Walters.

Anyway, NO, the era of "great white hope" IS SOOOOO Far gone! Lol, it's so funny and ironic looking back at the movie "The great White Hype" seeing how there are MORE WHITE CHAMPIONS THAN BLACK CHAMPIONS NOW! Like I said - since about 2005 onward, they have been looking FOR A GREAT BLACK HOPE at HW!!! They're not used to Whites dominating like they have been for the past decade.

OH YES, THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGING!

you're a piss of shıt poster though. for what all you wrote your insecurities continue to shine. how is Alvarez a ''white'' Latino. have you lived enough on this planet that not all siblings from the same pool will look a like. Alvarez has a shıt load of bros and sisters from the same father and mother, and even those siblings are inconsistent. This goes for many families.

But I'm glad you didn't reference Floyd Mayweather Jr., who was basically the face of boxing throughout the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  The Great White Hope most certainly exists

See my avatar and signature for proof
                  Mate, your sig is MIA and nowhere to be seen just like The Great White Hope.

Comment

Most white people don't think that way although a few do. Why would there be a need for a white hope when there are already white heavyweights in the middle of the championship picture. It's been more like a black hope thing for a long time now. Black heavyweights ruled for many years but then the K brothers took over for many years. White hope comes from about 100 years ago in the Jack Johnson era. He was the only champion and many whites wanted him gone and a white boxer to be the world champion. Today with 4 heavyweight champions being one of the 4 champions is no big deal. There will be white heavyweight champions and black heavyweight champions at the same time.

Comment

I asked a simple question

something must be wrong with the world if I even had to think on this topic....just saying

wouldn't have to if it wasn't something to consider.
                      Man, I'm going to explain why it's wrong

You know how racially insecure these americans are, especially on this site. You know about heated racial debates over here as well. Considering that, it would be smart to not make any race related topics at all, but you still decided to make a thread like this, knowing it's gonna fuel all these race baiting posts here which helps negativity spread further on that site.

You knew what kind of reaction you will get asking a question like this, when the answer is obvious considering that boxing is more diverse nowadays. There's no such thing as a white hope, it's just white anglos can't produce good fighters (no offense to them). Kelly Pavlik is an alcoholic. But you act like you didn't know that mother****ers can turn this thread into another race war here. You probaly did it on purpose but if you don't like seeing "racism" on that site, just don't make threads like this because it doesn't help
                      Last edited by g27region; 03-02-2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X