Gerry Penalosa, how good was he?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jose
    My god talk about delusional fans.

Penalosa is 72 years old and has done nothing in years and not only are his fans calling for a title shot at Rafeal Marquez some are actually saying he would have a chance in that fight.
    Delusional? You're the one calling Penalosa a 72-yr.-old geriatric. Nah...maybe your just a biased *****.

Gerry has a good chance same as any fighter to KO Rafa. I think your basing your judgment on Rafa’s awe-inspiring KO’s and are forgetting that all of his losses were by KO, so don't tell me that hombre is invulnerable because he's definitely not. He’s a mere mortal and he happens to be a good match-up for Gerry style-wise, and you could even say his style is tailor-made for the Filipino because Gerry is an excellent counter puncher against brawlers.

Penalosa is no patsy and packs a punch too and he’s gonna see an opening for a haymaker sooner or later. That's if he doesn't get tagged first by Rafa who's got one of the most feared punches – almost like a prime Tyson - in the division. That being said, Gerry also has an excellent chin but his problem is that he’s a bleeder, specially against head butts. Like I said before, he’s smart and has got great defense and if he could avoid being hurt badly, there’s a slim chance he could out-box and even drop Rafa. I wouldn’t consider Rafa one of the most technically gifted fighters – unlike big his brother. It's not gonna be easy but it's doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Rizal
      Delusional? You're the one calling Penalosa a 72-yr.-old geriatric. Nah...maybe your just a biased *****.

Gerry has a good chance same as any fighter to KO Rafa. I think your basing your judgment on Rafa’s awe-inspiring KO’s and are forgetting that all of his losses were by KO, so don't tell me that hombre is invulnerable because he's definitely not. He’s a mere mortal and he happens to be a good match-up for Gerry style-wise, and you could even say his style is tailor-made for the Filipino because Gerry is an excellent counter puncher against brawlers.

Penalosa is no patsy and packs a punch too and he’s gonna see an opening for a haymaker sooner or later. That's if he doesn't get tagged first by Rafa who's got one of the most feared punches – almost like a prime Tyson - in the division. That being said, Gerry also has an excellent chin but his problem is that he’s a bleeder, specially against head butts. Like I said before, he’s smart and has got great defense and if he could avoid being hurt badly, there’s a slim chance he could out-box and even drop Rafa. I wouldn’t consider Rafa one of the most technically gifted fighters – unlike big his brother. It's not gonna be easy but it's doable.

Oh yeah im the bias one*rolleys*

Pay attention.

Gery Penalosa has not won a World Title fight is 7 ****ing years.

He held a belt in the late 90's for 1 whole year and made 2 defenses against nobodies, Oh my god what a dominate and great champion he was.

He has done NOTHING to even deserve a title shot. Let alone at a p4p fighter like Rafeal Marquez.

Comment

Oh yeah im the bias one*rolleys*

Pay attention.

Gery Penalosa has not won a World Title fight is 7 ****ing years.

He held a belt in the late 90's for 1 whole year and made 2 defenses against nobodies, Oh my god what a dominate and great champion he was.

He has done NOTHING to even deserve a title shot. Let alone at a p4p fighter like Rafeal Marquez.
        Well as far as deserving a title shot goes, you've got a point and I'm not contesting that.

I was making an argument for him as far as his matchup with Rafa was concerned. A title shot is a way-over-longshot for Gerry and it's more wishful thingking on his part at this point that Rafa would acquiece to such a challenge. But who knows, stranger things have happened before and maybe Gerry was hoping Rafa would underestimate him and take him on as a tuneup or something. So my point here really is, if it does happen - which is really highly unlikely - then Gerry's got a chance of pulling the rug from under rafa feet.

By the way, your name sucks chunks.

Comment

Im guesing all of you guys are Pinoy's?

Penalosa was champion for like a year and never beat anyone of any worth and no one who knows anything about boxing and can speak about him without an agenda would never even put him in the same breath as Tapia let alone pick him to beat Tapia maybe the greatest ever at 115.
          WHAT?

To say that Tapia is the greatest at 115 is a big ?. Pancho Villa would have knocked him out if they fought both in their prime and at the same era.

Pancho Villa is considered to ge the greatest flyweight. He even fought fighters heavier than he was.

Comment

Comment

When Barrera and Tapia fought, Barrera beat Tapia around the ring.

When Gerry and Manny Pacquiao fought during sparring matches, Manny got bruised all over. Gerry, some say, was Manny's best sparring partner http://www.ringtalk.com/news/view_ar...p?id=134&cat=4 and we, who have watched him fight from the very beginning, know that he is smarter than Manny.

But Manny beat up Barrera, didn't he? So , is it delusional to assume that Penalosa can defeat Tapia if both were at their prime? Gerry just had the misfortune of not having anybody DESERVING enough to challenge him convincingly.

Comment

BUMP....good discussion that went on.

Comment

lolz!!! classic discussion! where is Jose Rizal?

Comment

i was cryin for days when gerry was robbed by bicycling in joo choo in korea many years ago.

gerry perhaps is one if not the most complete filipino boxer ive seen, he knows his pace, knows when to brawl, bide time and go for the ko. very good chin and defense too. never have been KOed and all hs loss were mostly split decisions.

Comment

I read somewhere that most of Gerry's defeats came by split decision in the opponents country. Wonder what would be the scorecard if it was held in the US.

Comment

Working...
                      X