• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe louis worst loss

I am going to say against max shemling.

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post

But he absorbed even more punishment against Marciano.

Comment

Marciano was the hardest to watch.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
        Marciano was the hardest to watch.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
        i guess my rational is the schemling loss proved he was human and some fighters may have never recovered from it. The marcano fight was after he was declining.

Comment

I have to agree considering that was an upset.

Comment

i guess my rational is the schemling loss proved he was human and some fighters may have never recovered from it. The marcano fight was after he was declining.
            I see what you're saying.

But against Marciano he was in worse condition against a better fighter, and took a bigger beating.

As a big fan of Louis' it's not a fight I want to see again. Against Schmeling at least he was more competitive

Comment

Max Schmeling for sure, and not based on physical damage taken but for ideological reasons. Schmeling's victory was heralded by Nazi Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels as a political victory for the third reich and scientific proof that the german race was superior to the americans, specifically the african american race. When Louis knocked out Schmeling in the rematch the Brown Bomber became a national hero in a time wherein America was often split along race lines. He became a source of inspiration for all Americans fighting for their country at home and abroad. I don't think any other loss that Louis suffered could be worse than his being knocked out by schmeling, however when the events that transpired afterwards, specifically the rematch, are taken into account it is clear that rising up from the canvas after that fight was to be his defining moment as a boxing champion, and as an american hero.

Comment

Depends what you're looking for. Sheer brutality it's Marciano.

But Schmeling beat him up for 11+rounds plus it was an upset.

Comment

Schmelling.

He was on the slide when he lost to Charles and he had nothing left when the Rock beat him.

Comment

arguably the last two losses aren't really losses at all, he shouldn't have been in the ring at that age.

The Big Schmellie is the only one that counts. Joe really has only one loss.

Comment

Working...
                    X