Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charles "Sonny" Liston vs. Rocky Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really like to say. I would would prefer to see 3 fights between them to see if they adapted their styles. Marciano usually did better the second time he face an opponent, like with Walcott, Charles, Lastarza etc.
    But Liston was such an imressive fighter in his prime both at a distance and toe to toe so I might give the nod to Liston. Hard one to call when you weigh everything up.

Comment

Same here. I dont know who i should pick to win. I voted for 3 fights. Too bad thats never gonna happen!!

Comment

No doubt in my mind that Liston takes this. Marciano would put up a great fight, but Sonny's reach, monster jab and power unfelt by Marciano would eventually force the ref to step in after 9 rounds.

Comment

Wow, I have been very impressed with (most of) the posts here. It's a tough call for me. If Liston would win, I think it would come simply because the ref stopped it. His accurate, hard punches might bump and cut Marciano enough to warrant stoppage. Even so, Rocky would likely still be fighting. If Rocky won, it would be in true Brockton fashion: punch and roll until Liston couldn't fight back anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassangel
            Many of us saw how this match (allegedly) turned out in the "NBA Playoffs + boxing" thread posted by resident Ali fanatic, butterfly1964. I am interested in the opinions of others, however, as to how this match may go.

Did Liston really ever face anyone with the heart and determination of Marciano? A man who could punch for 25 rounds without getting tired, Rocky Marciano might just be able to slip beneath those long, extended arms of the Bear and lay into him. This maneuver could cause Liston to buckle just enough to even consider quitting. Or would this go as butterfly has suggested with Liston stopping Marciano as he comes in, overwhelming the Rock with well-time counterbombs?

Place your votes and voice your opinions.
            IMHO Rocky would stop Liston; and here's why...

Rocky throughout his career showed heart, will, and determination to win despite whatever obsticle was in front of him. Liston, though past his best, showed the classic bully mentality when challenged...by Cassius Clay. Once it was evident that Clay was on his way to victory, beating Liston regularly to the punch and really beating him up, Liston quit on his stool, surrendering his World Heavyweight Championship....the same prize he had fought so hard to achieve before Patterson finally went against Cus' advice and gave Sonny a shot....rather than be knocked out. He quit.

Boxing is 90% mental and Rocky's will was stronger than Liston's....plus, Rocky was the type of fighter who was a truth machine, as I like to call them; he'd test your very resolve and keep coming and keep coming until you beat him dead.

Going by the psychological make-up Liston displayed against Clay in fight no 1....and don't give me that "fix" ****.....there is no way he would ever beat Marciano.
            Last edited by K-DOGG; 06-07-2006, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Once it was evident that Clay was on his way to victory, beating Liston regularly to the punch and really beating him up, Liston quit on his stool, surrendering his World Heavyweight Championship....the same prize he had fought so hard to achieve before Patterson finally went against Cus' advice and gave Sonny a shot....rather than be knocked out. He quit.
              You have to remember though that Listons shoulder popped out in that fight and the doctor told Liston to quit. His shoulder came out ofhis socket because he couldn't connect his jabs properly with Clay who was very fast and elusive.
              He wouldn't have this problem against Marciano since Marciano is smaller and slower than Ali and fights on the front foot instead of the back foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger
                You have to remember though that Listons shoulder popped out in that fight and the doctor told Liston to quit. His shoulder came out ofhis socket because he couldn't connect his jabs properly with Clay who was very fast and elusive.
                He wouldn't have this problem against Marciano since Marciano is smaller and slower than Ali and fights on the front foot instead of the back foot.
                The shoulder story was a story. There's no evidence, to my knowledge, that anything was wrong with his shoulder at all.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMarcianofan00
                  Marciano's defense was deceptive.
                  Definitely. Watch his fight with Archie Moore and you'll see that he can be very defensive if he wanted to. He would bob and weave a little, stayed low and back slightly to protect from jabs, kept his hands up; he was always moving.

I think this fight would be a great one. I see Marciano eventually working his way in and stopping the Bear with his incredible determination, stamina, chin, and power.
                  Last edited by Brockton Lip; 06-07-2006, 10:23 AM.

Comment

The shoulder story was a story. There's no evidence, to my knowledge, that anything was wrong with his shoulder at all.
                    Not true, the shoulder incident was confirmed by a doctor at a hopital after the fight.

Comment

Marciano's defense was deceptive.
                      Marciano was very hard to hit on the inside.

Comment

Working...
                      X