Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope so. You always see the Canadian fighters like Bute and Pascal using their stuff. I'll do a little review once I get the gloves and workout with them.

In case any one was wondering, the Title ProMex Professional Training gloves are solid gloves (the leather looks sturdy, the stitching looks like it would hold up and the padding is uniformly distributed). I really like the design too. It's a Mexican style glove, so the weight it evenly distributed. The cuff is pretty long. There is plenty of wrist support. The hook and loop wraps 360 degrees so it secures nice and tight. The glove fits nice and tight, so when you punch it doesn't feel like any of the glove is not apart of your fist. I really like that compared with my worn-out, vinyl Protex2's. Those kind of flop around on the ends of my fists... no good.

Cons: the glove comes really stiff. My hands got sore just trying to make a fist. (The palm of the glove wasn't broken in nor was the thumb, so my fist was really constrained by the glove). The front of the glove all the way back to the wrist is also stiff so it takes effort to close the glove using your fingers.

Now I figure these are standard problems. The leather and padding haven't been broken in so of course it's gonna take some work. The major con was that my knuckles were taking a pounding on the bag, especially when I threw hooks and uppercuts. I like for my knuckles to land first and hard and the padding wasn't enough absorb the shock. They were sore after 5 minutes and I had to stop after 10 (Day 2 was the same although it looked the breaking in process had begun). Please note that I don't have meaty fists; they are on the bony side. ProMexes are not the glove for people like me. I really like the design and compact shape, but alas!

On to Rival!

Comment

• I received a $50 gift card from Title Boxing. Can anyone recommend me decent pair of gloves that are NOT made be Title?

Protection is what I'm looking for in a pair of gloves.

I have nothing against Title, but I want to try a new brand.

Someone please let me know whats up. Thanks.

Comment

• Nike Machomai Boxing Shoes Review

Review of the Nike Machomai Boxing Shoes:

Hello boxing people, I got these shoes about two weeks and wanted to post a review because there isn't too much good info out there on these shoes (I looked pretty hard before I bought them).

Before getting into specifics, all around these shoes are effing great. I've been boxing for 5 years now (I'm 24, 5'11", 146lbs). Prior to the Nike Machomai's I was using a pair of Asics Split Second wrestling shoes. They fit nice and tight, but they didn't have any arch support and my feet would get sore after 15 minutes of jump rope Anyways, time to step up.

Pros: Cushion and arch support. By far the most outstanding part of these shoes is arch support and the way they make/assist you staying on the balls of feet. The heel end of shoe feels higher (has thicker cushion) than the front section. That combined with high arch support make it so that the shoes are most comfortable when you are standing on the balls of feet. The shoes make staying on your toes easier and comfortable. (Compare this to my wrestling shoes where the level of the shoe was uniform). It took me two workouts to get used to the new feel and for the shoes to break in and conform to my feet; now they're amazing.

The shoe also has more padding than I was used to. Awesome. The sole is well padded in the front section of the shoe so that my feet don't hurt jumping rope anymore. Again, much improved from the flat Asic gel sole.

Construction of the shoe looks very good. I pivot and push off laterally. The shoe feels very supportive and solid. They are designed for quick lateral movement.

Potential Cons: Some people have said that they are hard to tie up tight because of the lacing system. I have narrow and rather skinny feet (I wear a Nike size 9.5). I tie these shoes up as tight as possible and luckily for me that's tight enough. If you had any skinnier feet, you might find the shoe loose. Again though, I have narrow, skinny feet and wearing a pair of good socks I can lace 'em up nice and snug.

I also read another person complaining about ankle support. I could see that. If you like really tight ankle support in a mid boxing shoe then this might not be the shoe for you. I'd definitely recommend giving them a shot and returning them if you have to though. When laced up tight, the shoe does not wrap around your ankle super tight. There is room for your ankle to shift forward and back. Your foot is locked in to the shoe, but your ankle is not. I kind of like that because it makes it easy when you are are your toes pointing your front foot in a boxing stance. There's no super-tight ankle support resisting your leg pointing your foot. I don't mind it at all, my ankles are plenty strong. It's nice to have the freedom of movement that you would have with a low-top boxing shoe. Take note those of you who are into tight, laced-up ankle support; this won't give you as much as another mid-top boxing shoe (maybe like an Adidas Tygun? never tried those, but they look to have a lot of support). I also wrap the laces around the back, which adds a significant amount of support.

I've also heard a couple of random complaints about the shoe being too narrow. My feet are definitely on the narrow side, so they fit very very comfortable. No problems there for me. If you have wide feet then you probably already know that Nike shoes run on the narrow side. I guess my suggestion would be that if you like the fit of Nike shoes, then these will fight you fine. Just order the Machomai in the size you wear your other Nike shoes. I wear 9.5 Nike Trainer 1.2's so I ordered Machomai in 9.5 and they fit great. I wear a 9 in Adidas. Nikes in general run a .5 size small. I think that's common knowledge.

The only other potential problem I could see someone having is the arch support. If you are a straight up flat-footed person, then the arch support might bother you. The shoes are designed to arch your feet so that you stay comfortable on the balls of your feet. I don't know what it's like to have flat feet, but I'm just throwing that out there.

Overall: Overall I'd highly recommend ordering these shoes. They're super light, fit tight, have a surprising amount of cushioning considering they are boxing shoes that weigh 9.2 ounces, and construction is very solid. If you are stepping up to a better shoe or looking for a different fit, definitely give these a shot. If they don't fit you right just send them back. But you won't be disappointed by their quality.

Comment

• i was looking into bag gloves and training gloves and i seen these bag gloves. there from ring to cage. have anyone heard of this kind. i cant post a url yet. or i would they are Ring to Cage Super Bag Gloves

Comment

• What gloves do you guys recommend for sparring? I weas looking at the
            Rival High Performance Lace Pro Sparring Gloves
            Last edited by 510hustler; 02-03-2012, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Experience with Lonsdale Tornado box boots?
              I've tried to google it, but only to find reviews about nike, adidas, everlast.. But nothing about lonsdale, and I want to know about lonsdale! Soo, anyone?

And sorry my english. I'm from Norway, and that's my excuse.

Comment

• Quick question. What size groin protector should I use? I'm a size 32-34 in pants/jeans, should I go with a size L or XL?

Comment

• Originally posted by Toney Loc View Post
                  Quick question. What size groin protector should I use? I'm a size 32-34 in pants/jeans, should I go with a size L or XL?
                  I'm the same size and I find that Large fits best, most of the time.

Comment

• What do you guys think of this headgear pacman is wearing here:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrCj6...feature=relmfu
                    Thinking of getting it? Only £40!!! Bargain, Twins HGL 3
                    Any opions or experience with this ??

Comment

• Originally posted by davidw9785 View Post
                      Review of the Nike Machomai Boxing Shoes:

Hello boxing people, I got these shoes about two weeks and wanted to post a review because there isn't too much good info out there on these shoes (I looked pretty hard before I bought them).

Before getting into specifics, all around these shoes are effing great. I've been boxing for 5 years now (I'm 24, 5'11", 146lbs). Prior to the Nike Machomai's I was using a pair of Asics Split Second wrestling shoes. They fit nice and tight, but they didn't have any arch support and my feet would get sore after 15 minutes of jump rope Anyways, time to step up.

Pros: Cushion and arch support. By far the most outstanding part of these shoes is arch support and the way they make/assist you staying on the balls of feet. The heel end of shoe feels higher (has thicker cushion) than the front section. That combined with high arch support make it so that the shoes are most comfortable when you are standing on the balls of feet. The shoes make staying on your toes easier and comfortable. (Compare this to my wrestling shoes where the level of the shoe was uniform). It took me two workouts to get used to the new feel and for the shoes to break in and conform to my feet; now they're amazing.

The shoe also has more padding than I was used to. Awesome. The sole is well padded in the front section of the shoe so that my feet don't hurt jumping rope anymore. Again, much improved from the flat Asic gel sole.

Construction of the shoe looks very good. I pivot and push off laterally. The shoe feels very supportive and solid. They are designed for quick lateral movement.

Potential Cons: Some people have said that they are hard to tie up tight because of the lacing system. I have narrow and rather skinny feet (I wear a Nike size 9.5). I tie these shoes up as tight as possible and luckily for me that's tight enough. If you had any skinnier feet, you might find the shoe loose. Again though, I have narrow, skinny feet and wearing a pair of good socks I can lace 'em up nice and snug.

I also read another person complaining about ankle support. I could see that. If you like really tight ankle support in a mid boxing shoe then this might not be the shoe for you. I'd definitely recommend giving them a shot and returning them if you have to though. When laced up tight, the shoe does not wrap around your ankle super tight. There is room for your ankle to shift forward and back. Your foot is locked in to the shoe, but your ankle is not. I kind of like that because it makes it easy when you are are your toes pointing your front foot in a boxing stance. There's no super-tight ankle support resisting your leg pointing your foot. I don't mind it at all, my ankles are plenty strong. It's nice to have the freedom of movement that you would have with a low-top boxing shoe. Take note those of you who are into tight, laced-up ankle support; this won't give you as much as another mid-top boxing shoe (maybe like an Adidas Tygun? never tried those, but they look to have a lot of support). I also wrap the laces around the back, which adds a significant amount of support.

I've also heard a couple of random complaints about the shoe being too narrow. My feet are definitely on the narrow side, so they fit very very comfortable. No problems there for me. If you have wide feet then you probably already know that Nike shoes run on the narrow side. I guess my suggestion would be that if you like the fit of Nike shoes, then these will fight you fine. Just order the Machomai in the size you wear your other Nike shoes. I wear 9.5 Nike Trainer 1.2's so I ordered Machomai in 9.5 and they fit great. I wear a 9 in Adidas. Nikes in general run a .5 size small. I think that's common knowledge.

The only other potential problem I could see someone having is the arch support. If you are a straight up flat-footed person, then the arch support might bother you. The shoes are designed to arch your feet so that you stay comfortable on the balls of your feet. I don't know what it's like to have flat feet, but I'm just throwing that out there.

Overall: Overall I'd highly recommend ordering these shoes. They're super light, fit tight, have a surprising amount of cushioning considering they are boxing shoes that weigh 9.2 ounces, and construction is very solid. If you are stepping up to a better shoe or looking for a different fit, definitely give these a shot. If they don't fit you right just send them back. But you won't be disappointed by their quality.
                      Thanks, I hope someone does a comparison of these to the New Hyper KOs. They appear to have the same sole.

Comment

Working...
                      X