Puerto Rico vs Mexico World Title Bouts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puerto Rico vs Mexico World Title Bouts

http://foro.univision.com/t5/Boxeo/P...td-p/434643246

I came across this article which was very interesting about the rivalry of PR vs Mex. its a list of every world title bout. and it shows PR is actually is ahead. and yes when it comes to the mega bout mexico does win them. the point is this tiny little island of what 3 mil? produced these many world champions and fighters is amazing and it should be respected by every boxing fan. Mexico has a larger selection of 145 million people? So its obvious they would have more champions. But they produce tremendous fighters as well. Much Respect

i am a proud rican but im not a bias fan im very neutral and see a fight or fighter from both sides like any true boxing fans should do. put race, nationality and heritage aside and be a realistic boxing fans thats all i ask for.

I hate when people bring up Mexico's big population as a reason to them having alot of champions, India and China both have bigger populations,how many world champions do they have? Boxing isn't the #1 sport in Mexico as it is in Puerto Rico,besides boxing and some baseball what other sports are Puerto Rico known for?

Comment

There's actually an ongoing thread here that lists all the title bouts between PR and Mexico. PR was taking a decent lead until this year came along, now the gap is closing pretty fast.

And yes, while it is impressive that PR produces the most elite boxers in proportion to the population, boxing is hands down THE biggest sport in that country.

Comment

Impressive that over all the long history of the rivalry, only three fighters have been caught cheating:

Vargas, Salido and Margarito.

Comment

Ok this it just sad man, can you guys get yalls head out your azzes. If marga would of won would this thread been made? exactly..........

Comment

Originally posted by Casual_Fan View Post
            Impressive that over all the long history of the rivalry, only three fighters have been caught cheating:

Vargas, Salido and Margarito.
            Are you saying all those guys cheated against Puerto Ricans? Pretty Salido wasn't fighting a Rican when he got busted. And if you wanna bring up cheating in general, you should look to the grand daddy of cheating: Luis Resto, a Puerto Rican.

Comment

Exactly.........are you guys gonna go into hiding or you going to stay for a while longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
                Are you saying all those guys cheated against Puerto Ricans? Pretty Salido wasn't fighting a Rican when he got busted. And if you wanna bring up cheating in general, you should look to the grand daddy of cheating: Luis Resto, a Puerto Rican.
                Did you bother to read the list? THE LIST (not ME) has asterisks before a fighter if he had ever been caught either with PEDs or, solely for Margo, with plaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Casual_Fan View Post
                  Did you bother to read the list? THE LIST (not ME) has asterisks before a fighter if he had ever been caught either with PEDs or, solely for Margo, with plaster.
                  You're right, I misread what you said.

Personally I don't think he needs that asterisk there but your original point is still valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
                    You're right, I misread what you said.

Personally I don't think he needs that asterisk there but your original point is still valid.
                    More impressive is that out of the three of the ones that have been caught cheating, only ONE was actually born in Mexico!

I think it's impressive and it speaks good about the rivalry, and Latino boxing in general.

And not I'm not saying Mexican-Americans aren't Mexicans. But there are cultural differences between Erik Morales and Brandon Ríos, just like there are cultural differences between Miguel Cotto and John Ruiz.

And yes I also know Margo was raised in Mexico.

Comment

Working...
                    X