No announcement yet.

Help Me Understand Wilder's 20lb+ Weight Loss

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
    Yeah to lose that much is a bit worrying, maybe they aren't concern. I think his right hand equalises everything and preventing that hand from injuries is probably their main priority.

It should be a concern

He will drain more of his stamina because he’s lighter. At say 228 230 lbs he doesn’t need to use as much energy in tie ups and clinches. At 207 lbs he needs to be exert much more energy against 240+lb men

Comment

Originally posted by HeadShots View Post
      It should be a concern

He will drain more of his stamina because he’s lighter. At say 228 230 lbs he doesn’t need to use as much energy in tie ups and clinches. At 207 lbs he needs to be exert much more energy against 240+lb men
      I think he felt that against Fury, hence why he said he wants to put on more weigh to go up to 245 (Which i think is too much for him).

Comment

His power imo has diminished. I honestly do not believe fury gets up if that was the right hand and left hook thrown from the 228 lb Wilder
        I don’t disagree with the part if he connected at same velocity or faster with a higher body weight that Fury wouldn’t be carried out on a stretcher.

But, 16lbs of additional muscle mass would require plentiful oxygen; which would decrease speed, stamina, and his power in the later rounds.

I think him being lighter actually helped him; he may not connect with those two knockdowns if he was heavier in the late rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by R01 View Post
          I don’t disagree with the part if he connected at same velocity or faster with a higher body weight that Fury wouldn’t be carried out on a stretcher.

But, 16lbs of additional muscle mass would require plentiful oxygen; which would decrease speed, stamina, and his power in the later rounds.

I think him being lighter actually helped him; he may not connect with those two knockdowns if he was heavier in the late rounds.
          it doesn't work like that in a fight at heavyweight.

When you are lighter, you will wear out faster by the heavier opponent due to the extra power you have to exert while in tie-ups and clinches. Also your body doesn't have enough padding to absorb the punishment coming your way. it drains you more.

This is why Brook is normally a 12 round fighter but against GGG in round 5, he was already gassed to the point where he could barely stand. He was still avoiding most of the punches.
          Last edited by HeadShots; 12-18-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

His power imo has diminished. I honestly do not believe fury gets up if that was the right hand and left hook thrown from the 228 lb Wilder
            I dunno I think Fury was in a different place mentally that night, nothing would keep him down.

Comment

Maybe he doesn't land it, he was slow and pounderous at that weight.

Wilder takes power from his leverage dude is built like saddler Tommy hearn or somehow Monzon

Comment

It should be a concern

This is not a wrestling fight. Clinches are like a bunch of minutes in a fight.

If he's 230 he will use more energy boxing, you have 25 more pounds to move around, his average footwork will be slower.

Comment

He probably has to eat alot and workout and protien alot to go above 215 etc most men have a top out limit where they just cant get bigger no more without forcing yourself to eat all kinds and work out harder, maybe he just felt like he didnt need the extra weight to win. Slimmer = faster and its not like he's punch depends on teh weight so its a win win.

Comment

1. what is the logic behind it?
                    2. what is causing him to lose the weight?
                    3. When was the last time a heavyweight champ went out of their way to lose 20+ lbs?

I just don't understand it. He looks lean and leathy at 228 lbs. Now he looks sickly at 207 lbs giving away the weight for no reason. His metabolism shouldn't be faster now at 30+ yrs old.
                    What is the cause behind this?

He weighed in at 213.5 not 207. I didn't think he looked sickly. He looked very lean and muscular with a very low percentage of body fat but lots of muscle.He has a big chest, shoulders and arms and thin but strong waist and legs. If he was too light for the Fury fight then maybe he overtrained. Wilder says his team wants him to fight much heavier at 245 and Wilder said might try to gain some weight since they asked him to do so.

Comment

After watching the video Wilder still looks lean at 228.5 so that's probably a good fighting weight for him. I think fighting at 245 would only slow him down and not help him but 228 should be a good fighting weight.

Comment

Working...
                      X