No announcement yet.

Who beats Roberto Duran ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    There's a lot of great pre 1970 footage.

Ali vs Cleveland Williams for example.

The the 60s has a good amount of footage but its worse and worse and less and less the further you go back. I find it dumb to rate a guy like Sugar Ray Robinson when you haven't seen the vast majority of his greatest fights unless your 80 years old

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Than please tell us what you're alluding to when you say "the sport has changed so much"?

Changing meaning not the same.
      Guys fight less today.
      Most guys now are full time boxers as opposed to back then when most had "day jobs"
      Athletes in general have gotten much more advanced.

Comment

Yeah I didn't think there'd be too many names suggested Personally I couldn't pick anybody that I'd favour to beat him, the guy is the G.O.A.T at lightweight but I think if I was forced into a corner and made to put my money on somebody I'd have to go for Armstrong simply because he is Armstrong, but that said I think Duran would just love the way henry would come at him and duke it out and so would still probably get the win.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          Blind love for modern fighters like who? Chavez who fought at basically the same time as Pernell Whitaker lol.

I don't rate or compare fighters from pre 1970 the sport has changed too much.
          How?...............

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
            How?...............
            look at my post above

Comment

Changing meaning not the same.
              Guys fight less today.
              Most guys now are full time boxers as opposed to back then when most had "day jobs"
              Athletes in general have gotten much more advanced.

Yet the sport has regressed in terms of talent, stamina a competition. Go figure!

Comment

look at my post above
                Guys fight less today, I'll give you that. But how have athletes gotten more advanced? Nutrition and weight training have changed, but those guys still had to get in a ring and punch each other silly. And in this sport, toughness matters more than athleticism anyway, so even if I give you the point that athletes are "more advanced" today (I don't agree necessarily) so what? Who's the better athlete, Miguel Cotto or Zab Judah? Cotto beat that ass regardless, just because he's the tougher, grittier fighter. Same thing happened again when Cotto and Margarito fought. Superior athlete gets run down by a dude too hard for him.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Yet the sport has regressed in terms of talent, stamina a competition. Go figure!
                  yeah i think though where the sport has regressed most is in the depth of competition, I mean the cream of the crop from today .. your pacs,floyds hopkins, jones jnrs (of a few years back) and the like could certainly mix it with the best of their respective weights from the past, but once you start going past the top two or three the standard drops away massively from say what it was in even the 70s. I guess its mainly cause the sport was bigger 50/60 years ago than it is now, and 1,000 serious guys competing against eachother results in a much tougher top twenty than just 100 serious guys competing.

Comment

Anyone post 2000 is automatically more athletic than anyone pre 1970because 'athletes are more advanced now'.

Fernando Montiel > Eder Jofre

Marcos Maianna > Locche

Bradon Rios> Freddie Welsh

Antonio Margarito> Ray Robinson

Of course.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Anyone post 2000 is automatically more athletic than anyone pre 1970because 'athletes are more advanced now'.

Fernando Montiel > Eder Jofre

Marcos Maianna > Locche

Bradon Rios> Freddie Welsh

Antonio Margarito> Ray Robinson

Of course.

There are exceptions but yes its a fact that athletes have advanced as we learn more about the human body and how it works anybody who denies this is lying to themselves

Comment

Working...
                      X