Collapse
No announcement yet.

You have to bet your life on one fighter to beat Floyd Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearns for sure, that shoulder roll ain't gonna mean nothing to a guy that big. Either boxing or slugging Tommy has him beat, unless the fight is in Vegas.

Comment

--- Hearns every day and twice on Sundays.

Sanchez only took one loss early and was never KOed. Bad choice comparing arguably the best ever Mexican fighter with Castillo.

Comment

So then is it safe to say that Mayweather's earlier resume is solid, but not as much at 147?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Certainly at 130 and 135. He without doubt fought the best. Only fight that should have happened that didn't was Stevie Johnston.

At 140, he wanted Kosta Tszyu, but politics got in the way mostly. Tszyu was past his best and riddled with injuries despite being the man at 140 so realistically I'm not suprised Kosta wasn't overly interested.

147-154 he fought a lot of good guys. The big fight planned at the time in 2006 was Floyd vs Zab Judah. Both P4P fighters at the time. Obviously Judah lost to Baldomir which put a massive spanner in the works.

Only fight Floyd missed at 147 IMO was Margarito. Floyd was reluctant to take that fight for whatever reason.

Realistically this notion of he picked easy fights to stay unfefeated is massively overstated.

Like I mentioned previously, there are pretty much no fighters in history who beat more guys ranked #1 at the weight class than Floyd. Of course that's all relative and doesn't make him the greatest or even close to it by anu stretch but it is still damn impressive to do that across 5 weight classes no less. Floyd was Champion at 5 weights, 130, 135, 147 and 154 he was Lineal Champion. So, what is Floyd just the luckiest cherrypicker ever?

How do you become champion in 5 weights, 4 of which Lineal, beat 10 guys ranked #1 and 7 guys ranked in the Top 10 P4P by cherrypicking all easy fights? Makes no sense.
          So basically just Stevie Johnston and Antonio Margarito are the only ones Floyd missed that he easily could have made happen with no obstacles then, it sounds like. The others sound like they were stopped by politics, money disagreements or drug testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            So basically just Stevie Johnston and Antonio Margarito are the only ones Floyd missed that he easily could have made happen with no obstacles then, it sounds like. The others sound like they were stopped by politics, money disagreements or drug testing.
            100%

Floyd turned down both when offered them.

Why? I don't know. He always seemed reluctant to fight Margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
              Those 3 guys that beat him were 2 future title holders and 1 contender - and that was while Castillo was still developing and learning his craft as Julio Cesar Chavez sparring partner.
              A lot of great fighters from Mexico suffered early losses. Salvador Sanchez, Chucho Castillo, Jorge Paez, Gilberto Roman - countless others. That's career path for many of them - just showed They were not good enough... before They got better.

He beat tough gate-keeper in Quinonez to get a title shot, beat outstanding Stevie Johnston to win a title - and take #1 spot in the division from him.

The success He had against the level of boxers He fought is extreme. He fought Johnston twice, Mayweather twice, Casamayor, Lazcano, Julio Diaz and Corrales twice!
              Bold statement now - but it might be the toughest run any Lightweight champion had since Duran!
              --- I'm talking pre Floyd were he racked up 4 Ko losses, the whole reason arum wanted him for his lightweight debut.

Already stated Castillo had a short but good run post Floyd and most agree Castillo whooped him clean the first fight.

Comment

100%

Floyd turned down both when offered them.

Why? I don't know. He always seemed reluctant to fight Margarito.
                I would guess because Margarito was 3 inches taller than him, had long arms which gave him a reach advantage and had pretty good punching power who had just beaten Cotto by TKO. I don't know about the other guy.

Comment

I would guess because Margarito was 3 inches taller than him, had long arms which gave him a reach advantage and had pretty good punching power who had just beaten Cotto by TKO. I don't know about the other guy.
                  It was 2006, before the Cotto fight.

My opinion is he had his eyes on Oscar a fight he was desperate for for years and didn't want to take any unnecessary risks as he was so close to it.

Just my theory.

Comment

It was 2006, before the Cotto fight.

My opinion is he had his eyes on Oscar a fight he was desperate for for years and didn't want to take any unnecessary risks as he was so close to it.

Just my theory.
                    Oh, but wasn't Floyd also asked about Margarito in the post fight interview after the Hatton fight as well after Floyd fought Oscar?

Comment

Oh, but wasn't Floyd also asked about Margarito in the post fight interview after the Hatton fight as well after Floyd fought Oscar?
                      Don't think so. Can't recall.

I just know that 2006 was when they were lined up to fight. Floyd was offered 8 million dollars and he turned it down.

Comment

Working...
                      X