Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was better, Sugar Ray Leonard or Roy Jones Jr?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leonard had a rock solid chin and we knew he could turn the tide if he got behind or hurt. we know these things because he fought better fighters. i'll even go on to say that he fought much, much better fighters. leonard has one of the best resumes ever.

while jones may be the more talented athlete of the two [faster, more powerful for his size,] leonard was the more accomplished fighter. and if htey were the same size i'd expect roy to win rounds and maybe even make leonard look a little slow for a while, before eventually slowing down and starting to lose rounds on activity and pace later in the fight.

leonard had answers for what roy brought to the table. speed addresses roy's speed. his chin addresses roy's power. his steadiness and his pace would lend itself to success later in the fight, and score points when jones was content to posture, feint, and stare, which he had a tendency to do.

now, if you're not talking about fantasy fights, leonard loses. he was a natural welterweight and really not a big one by today's standards with a 30 hour weigh in. jones was huge at MW, SMW, and even a very solid LHW with muscle. fought all the way to HW, so obviously you understand what i'm getting at.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      thats not my point, Ray was training differently than Jones. Roy was lifting weights and bulking up, Ray was training down. Size is pretty much in relation to someones frame size and natural muscle mass.

James Toney went from 160 to 260, how big do you really consider this man? he wasn't even big as a MW - he was small in fact.

Sure Roy Weighed more, but he had nearly an identical frame size to Ray, who by the looks of it had a bigger dome and hands. If ray was jackin the weights he would be heavier as well. That being said though that **** is purely for show.

Another example is Foreman and Norton, on tape them are nearly identical in size, in reality Foreman is built differently and is a larger stronger man. Nortons weight and size where in areas like a big chest developed on a bench press.
      I know what you are saying, there is truth to it. Its a hard concept to grasp because if one looks at Roy, first of all, Roy has a small head and very small shoulders. He is actually a bit hunched. His muscle is in his core and legs. His arms may be long, but his shoulder width is small...in a word he is built very strange lol.

Robinson was built like a model.... perfectly proportioned really. So his weight was put over his entire body with longer muscle mass, and points of articulation, like the shoulders.

Robinson did not have spindley legs lefty, he had no extra weight on his legs...something most athletes have while in their prime...I never had fat on my legs til I got old and stupid...er stupider.

But Apples is right...essentially activity will build a body differently than concentrated force on the larger muscles. Incidently Roy was an athlete and played basketball very well... So his build was more just a freak of his own genetic program. If one LOOKS carefully at Jones, it looks like someone didn't spread him out enough... Too thick in the middle, but all muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post

Agreed, but SRR would have whopped both Roy & Ray, just my opinion.
        And that's stupid to say cause anybody with good vision can see ray was way to outdated stiff slow and missing advances they had

Comment

Originally posted by moneytheman View Post

And that's stupid to say cause anybody with good vision can see ray was way to outdated stiff slow and missing advances they had
          Agreed…. Nice post bro
          moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post

Agreed…. Nice post bro
            So you must have got glasses to argee now cause I don't see why you ever said ray was better when he clearly wasn't as advanced
            Zaroku Zaroku likes this.

Comment

So you must have got glasses to argee now cause I don't see why you ever said ray was better when he clearly wasn't as advanced
              I’m wearing my glasses

otay

my rap career is going nowhere

Comment

Yeah. Watching Jones do 25 left hooks in less than 5 seconds against ATG Vinny Paz prooves that Jones is top 1 GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post

Yeah. Watching Jones do 25 left hooks in less than 5 seconds against ATG Vinny Paz prooves that Jones is top 1 GOAT.
                  Find where I said against a certain person at cause this comment is stupid no 1 match makes a person great or bad

Comment

Find where I said against a certain person at cause this comment is stupid no 1 match makes a person great or bad
                    It was me musing over you saying that Jones was more 'advanced'. Lol. Maybe your opinion is based on the Paz fight idk. It's just a guess. Maybe its based on Jones beating Nunn or Michalszewski? ooooopppppsssss..... he didn't fight those guys. Sorry for my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post

It was me musing over you saying that Jones was more 'advanced'. Lol. Maybe your opinion is based on the Paz fight idk. It's just a guess. Maybe its based on Jones beating Nunn or Michalszewski? ooooopppppsssss..... he didn't fight those guys. Sorry for my mistake.
                      well its not a opinion i can see which you dont seem to be able to good and its easy to see roy fought in a more advanced era they used better punch tech and were better in head and body movement you cant see these changes your vision is bad get glasses cause these changes can be seen as early as the first 5 matches jones had so your trolling the wrong person
                      Last edited by Ascended; 10-03-2022, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X