Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tunney vs Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If foreman lands he probably wins, but why couldn't he do that with ali or young but it's a given that he smokes Tunney,,,

The side steps and angles and combos Tunney uses would cause young george a lot of problems.. This won't be frazier or Norton just standing in front of foreman,, Tunney has movement

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      If foreman lands he probably wins, but why couldn't he do that with ali or young but it's a given that he smokes Tunney,,,

The side steps and angles and combos Tunney uses would cause young george a lot of problems.. This won't be frazier or Norton just standing in front of foreman,, Tunney has movement
      Both Ali and Young were legitimate heavyweights and Foreman was beating up Young until he ran out of gas in the heat. Not an excuse but the notion that Young went in and completely boxed circles around Foreman is false. Also, I seriously doubt Tunney could take punishment from Foreman as well as Ali did..

Ali had to completely alter his strategy to the "rope a dope" because Foreman was cutting the ring off quickly and effectively.

Better question is why should we assume Tunney could do the same thing when he never faced any fighters with the size, jab, devastating power, and skill to cut off the ring like Foreman? You can't compare Greb or Dempsey to Foreman.

Foreman would walk right through Tunney. Also, let's not ignore the fact that Tunney never fought top fighters of a certain color. Some fighters today are highly criticized for avoiding fights and Tunney should be held to the same standards.
      Last edited by joseph5620; 04-26-2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Ali went inside Foreman's soul and defeated him before the first bell rang. Tunney could never do that. Ali was actually a pretty big dude, too.

Foreman moved poorly; it's true, but Tunny was only 6' and skinny, and he would have been crushed at some point.

Finally, Tunney didn't look THAT fast to me and has been much criticized for avoiding black fighters. He looked good against slow guys.

Interesting matchup, but....too much size and power advantage for Foreman.

Comment

people are entitled to their opinions. The one thing I will say is that it is not unprecedneted for a great boxer to defeat, or be competative with a great puncher while giving away a considerable weight advantage. Again I give to you the Conn Louis precedent where Conn was competative with Louis for 15 rounds....The weight disparity was about equal, give or take 5 pounds, to the difference between an average weight for Foreman and Tunney.

I like to go by precedent because many times what we think is possible/impossible is not accurate. in my mind Louis was equal the puncher at the very least to Foreman and Tunney the equal at the very least, To Billie Conn in ringcraft and guile.

I do respect that Forman was very strong and capable, and as Joseph said while Young did best Foreman...it was hardly a wash! Young took some shots from Foreman and was on chicken legs for a bit haha.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            Both Ali and Young were legitimate heavyweights and Foreman was beating up Young until he ran out of gas in the heat. Not an excuse but the notion that Young went in and completely boxed circles around Foreman is false. Also, I seriously doubt Tunney could take punishment from Foreman as well as Ali did..

Ali had to completely alter his strategy to the "rope a dope" because Foreman was cutting the ring off quickly and effectively.

Better question is why should we assume Tunney could do the same thing when he never faced any fighters with the size, jab, devastating power, and skill to cut off the ring like Foreman? You can't compare Greb or Dempsey to Foreman.

Foreman would walk right through Tunney. Also, let's not ignore the fact that Tunney never fought top fighters of a certain color. Some fighters today are highly criticized for avoiding fights and Tunney should be held to the same standards.

Those are all legit points...

Comment

Joe Louis just inched forward, no matter what the circimstances. Foreman was a demonic aggressor.

I believe Tunney would decision Louis handily. Foreman came straight on in a hurry, though, and he did know how to cut a ring off, because of Archie Moore. That is very bad for Tunney. We know Gene has to make it a minimum of eight rounds. If he does, would he be in shape to do anything? He has an outside chance.

I would set aside custom and take the highest odds I could find and bet on Tunney, if the odds were high enough. I would need about 7-1, and could probably easily get that. I might do much better.

Comment

Working...
              X