No announcement yet.

Matthew Saad Muhammad: Overlooked?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Saad Muhammad: Overlooked?

In the discussion of pugilism's great light heavyweights, Saad Muhammad often get's left out. Perhaps unfairly so.

What are your opinions on Saad Muhammad, most notably his fighting style?

Gattiesque. But with more talent. One of the all-time most dramatic fighters.

Comment

One of the great warriors of the sport. Lightheavy is a stacked division historically, but he's still one of the greats.

Ring magazine had him at number 10 in their most recent list of greatest ever lightheavies so he's not totally overlooked.

Comment

Great warrior! Love to watch his fights.

Comment

I don't think he is underrated as such. He had some notable losses along with his great wins.

Anyway he is one of my all-time favourite fighters. All action. All the time.

Comment

He exemplified what a Philly fighter is supposed to be. Could box very well but preferred to fight.

Comment

I don't underrate Matt in the rankngs because he had tremendous heart and fighting to live was apart of his life as a very young kid. I had Matt in my gym preping for a few of his bouts around 81--84 or so. Hard worker who came to the ring in great shape and often looked to out last his opponent by being in better condition, he layed it out on the line. When in my gym he sparred with Jerry Halstead (lthvy) and Kenny Schmidt (hvy) and Stevie Cotton (mid) and the four of them worked beautifully together. Always thought highly of him, he was a gentleman. Ray.

Comment

Maybe not an atg, but he was great in 1980... Really looked the part beating John Conteh and Yaqui Lopez... Real fighter, and one of my all time favs

He does get overlooked by many.. But never, by anyone who watched him in his prime

Comment

I just watched Yaqui Lopez II, a great fight no doubt. I would put him top 10 at light heavy. I think being fun to watch is an ATG quality in and of itself. I mean, no person wants to watch boxing to be bored. Of course I understand that some people prefer a Hagler v Hearns esque brawl, but some people prefer pure technique and boxing like Willie Pep and Locche. It's hard to label it, but I guess that's why we have such great debates on here. At least when people are being mature.

How do you think he would fair in today's Light Heavyweight division, assuming he would fight at Light Heavy and not at one of the other 6 billion weight classes. I'm overestimating but only slightly.

Comment

Great fighter to watch. ATG heart.

Comment

Working...
                    X