Santana set to prove he's no stepping stone [fights on ShoBox Friday]

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santana set to prove he's no stepping stone [fights on ShoBox Friday]

Hey guys,

Wrote up an extensive piece on a fighter I have come to be very familiar with, Francisco Santana [12-2-1] of Santa Barbara, California, who fights Golden Boy 154 lb. prospect Jermell Charlo in the televised opener of ShoBox: The New Generation this Friday. Santana has seen his fair share of ups and downs, from being touted as a prospect to watch under the Goossen-Tutor Promotions banner to being beaten by recently crowned NABO 140 lb. champion Karim Mayfield twice and being dropped by them, to being brought in as a chief sparring partner for Victor Ortiz as well as being mentored by the future world champ. Despite his record, Santana has a distinct advantage in experience having seen a lot of what the sport can offer.

Santana set to prove he's no stepping stone
    Mark Ortega, lead writer, Leave-it-in-the-ring.com

It wasn't long ago that Santa Barbara, California's Francisco Santana was entering fights as the touted prospect with high expectations. Friday night, he'll step into the ring as the projected stepping stone for undefeated Jermell Charlo of Austin, Texas in the televised opener of ShoBox: The New Generation, a position Santana has found himself in a few times as of late.

Despite only 15 pro fights under his belt, Santana has a dearth of experience that should figure to be to his advantage Friday against 15-0 Jermell Charlo on ShoBox.After turning pro under the Goossen-Tutor Promotions banner in November of 2005, Santana was being groomed for big things.

“I was supposed to make my pro debut near my home at Chumash with Gary Shaw but the fight fell through,” Santana told Leave It In The Ring in a phone interview on Wednesday.

“I used to have some investors who helped me out and they were friends with Dan Goossen's lawyer and I guess they kind of mentioned me to Dan. He said to bring me and I could pro debut with him. I got a few fights with them and they liked what they saw and after that they offered me a contract and I signed it.”

At that point, a young Santana moved from Santa Barbara to Las Vegas, where this Friday's fight takes place, to train with former world champion Wayne McCullough on the advice of Dan's son Craig Goossen, who said it would be a good move for him. Santana would fight two bouts under McCullough before moving back to Santa Barbara due to being homesick.

Click here to read the rest...
Working...
X