No announcement yet.

Boxing fans are too demanding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing fans are too demanding

This is why our sport is not that respected and doesn't get the air time it deserves. Hardcore boxing fans making fun of our sports greats.

Imagine Basketball fans dissing Dr J, Jordan, Magic, Bird etc

Baseball fans dissing Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, etc

Football fans dissing Montana, Jim Brown, Jerry Rice

The list goes on. You see this **** in boxing too much. I'm even guilty for this with my Duran thread. It happens in every sport yes, but you don't see the hardcore fans of other sports going as hard as boxing fans go in on their greats. Boxing fans are too demanding for no reason.

Really? There is a lot of partisan bickering considering modern day fighters, but I always thought that for the most part, boxing fans were respectful of their legends. In fact, rarely do you see a sport in which fans insist that past legends of 50 or more years ago would absolutely beat today's stars.

Comment

In Basketball, fans appreciates players who understand and mastered the fundamental skills of the sport. In Boxing, it's the complete opposite. Boxing fans prefers the brawlers type of Boxers over the technicians type.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kevin- View Post
        This is why our sport is not that respected and doesn't get the air time it deserves. Hardcore boxing fans making fun of our sports greats.

The list goes on. You see this **** in boxing too much. I'm even guilty for this with my Duran thread. It happens in every sport yes, but you don't see the hardcore fans of other sports going as hard as boxing fans go in on their greats. Boxing fans are too demanding for no reason.
        good point, but rjj is shot and needs to stop embarassing the sport

Comment

Originally posted by P4P305 View Post
          In Basketball, fans appreciates players who understand and mastered the fundamental skills of the sport. In Boxing, it's the complete opposite. Boxing fans prefers the brawlers type of Boxers over the technicians type.
          I hate Tim Duncan

Comment

Many "fans" are disrespectful to fighters and their legacy. It is one of the real problems with the sport.

These types of people are not true fans of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kevin- View Post

Part of it is because there isn't a lot of coverage of boxing. A lot of the, especially younger, fans of boxing like to call themselves "hardcore" but they don't really know much about the sport. I mean really what does it take to be a hardcore fan?

I've been watching boxing almost continuously for the last 20 years or so. I'm 26 years old. But how many people are like that? Most people who consider themselves "hardcore" fan really only got into boxing because of one fighter who went on a great run. If that run ends or no one picks them up after that fighter falls off then they'll stop being fans.

If boxing got a lot of coverage then you'd see more people my age who've been following the sport long enough to remember the tail end of Tommy Hearns career, when James Toney was an up and coming prospect, when Mark Breland, Donald Curry and Marlon Starling were the best welterweights, remember back when Michael Carbajal and Julio Cesar Chavez were tearing through the lighter weight classes, etc.

Most people my age who watch boxing nowadays call themselves hardcore and they barely started following the sport recently and have no clue who Curry, Julian Jackson, Lloyd Honeygan, Mike McCallum, etc even are much less respect them as some of the better fighters of recent yesteryear. Then it's a slippery slope between not respecting those guys to talking **** about people like Pernell Whitaker, Bernard Hopkins, Floyd Mayweather Jr, etc.

If there was better coverage of the sport chronicling it's history it might be different. No offense to Brian Kenny, but he really doesn't know much of anything about boxing. Guys like Bert Sugar and Larry Merchant are too nostalgic about the 40s and 50s. Yeah there were A LOT great fighters back then, but there were A LOT of great fighters in the 70s, 80s and even 90s who they never talk about.

The current fan base is just really ignorant about the quality and diversity in talent and skill sets. That's why so many fans get bored during so many fights. They really don't know and/or appreciate what they're watching. Not to say there aren't boring fights (there are) but this is the only sport where the so-called "hardcore" fans bit(h and complain about so many high level matchups being boring or the best boxers of the era being "boring."

Comment

Working...
              X