No announcement yet.

is 40 too late

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is 40 too late

is 40 to old to start boxing? i would like to have 5 pro bouts or at least 3. should i fight in golden gloves first or does it make a difference? i have good athleticism and a hard punch. any help is appreciated.

There is a lot more involved with boxing then being athletic and punching hard.Become a gym rat learn by watching and participating.I would definitely take amateur fights because it’s there where you will find out a lot about yourself.Getting hit with smaller gloves by a guy who wants to kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by Redsox View Post
      is 40 to old to start boxing? i would like to have 5 pro bouts or at least 3. should i fight in golden gloves first or does it make a difference? i have good athleticism and a hard punch. any help is appreciated.
      I’m 23 & recently started training myself.

Starting @ 23 is a very late start, so @ 40 its definitely not recommended.

With that said, don’t let age hold you back if you’re serious about it.

Also get some amateur experience, before tryiing to jump to the pro level.

Good luck👊

Comment

Cmon, now.

If you're into ANY sport, you already know the answer

Way too late for a career. If it's a bucket list sort of thing, it's almost never too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
          Cmon, now.

If you're into ANY sport, you already know the answer

Way too late for a career. If it's a bucket list sort of thing, it's almost never too late.
          i know that. of course. it is a bucket list type of thing. even 1 fight, but i don't know if it is realistic.

Comment

i know that. of course. it is a bucket list type of thing. even 1 fight, but i don't know if it is realistic.
            Fu ck reality. Get 'er done. Time is not on your side.

Comment

Just go sign up. There is a 50/60 year old guy at my gym - and there will be no shortage of people wanting to fight you.

Comment

Fight now whilst you still have a few years in you at somewhere anywhere near your peak. As far as a career, no chance at all unless you happen to be the hardest puncher the world has ever known? Give it a go though, have a few fights. Get to 3-0 and retire undefeated before you fight someone who splatters you all over the canvas.

Comment

The way to go is to find a legit boxing coach in a nearby boxing gym. Get a USA Boxing membership, and begin training as an amateur. After your first sparring session, you will know if you want to pursue boxing any further or just participate as a workout. The amateurs have senior level competition, so you will be in there with other middle aged fighters with similar level of experience.

My personal take on it is that 40 is too late to start a pro career. Your reflexes will be too slow to move out of the way of punches you either see or don't see coming. Your legs may tire after a few rounds, especially if you are in there with an aggressive opponent. Most importantly, your body/head cannot take and recover from punches as well as when you are in your 20s or even 30s. You can suffer concussions and permanent brain damage much easier as you get older.

Comment

Ghost of Dempsey gave you a fantastic reply. professionals get paid for fighting. If you want to say you are a professional enter a tough man contest and win a cash prize...then you can say you are a professional. If you want to train and learn the art, then its a different thing altogether.

My dear departed dad who boxed in the Marines and was very proud of it...though he was not a good boxer, by his own account once told me a story: There was a boxing gym down the block so he went there as a kid and asked the man about boxing, the long and short of it was the man wound up asking my dad if he wanted to learn to box? or to throw a punch? Learning to smack someone in the mouth is different than boxing, just as learning to be a professional is not the same as learning the finer points of the Sweet Science.

Comment

Working...
                    X