Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roger Mayweather, an unbiased outlook and question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you appreciate Roger's supposed accomplishment in Boxing, if he himself doesn't appreciate the accomplishment of other Boxers?

Comment

How do you guys think Roger May the fighter would fare in today's boxing world?

Comment

Originally posted by Rolaz View Post
        How can you appreciate Roger's supposed accomplishment in Boxing, if he himself doesn't appreciate the accomplishment of other Boxers?
        I've seen clips of him appreciating Ray Robinson and Joe Louis.

And to answer your question, it's quite easy to separate boxing accomplishments from the boxer's personality. We appreciate LaMotta, Tyson and Gatti, even though there has been several accounts of what we would consider 'bad' behaviour from each of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Levcon8686 View Post
          I've seen clips of him appreciating Ray Robinson and Joe Louis.

And to answer your question, it's quite easy to separate boxing accomplishments from the boxer's personality. We appreciate LaMotta, Tyson and Gatti, even though there has been several accounts of what we would consider 'bad' behaviour from each of them.
          This is very true, he appreciates ALOT of old time champions, alot. Especially guys from the mid west. Even guys like Chavez who beat him up on two seperate occasions who shows great respect for.

He talks trash and sometimes quite frankly he says ridiculous statments at times, but he also has alot of knowledge of the sport and when he's not being stupid he has alot of good to say. And although he does this it can be put aside when looking at what he did intemrs of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            We all know about the bad times of Roger Mayweather, yeah we know he got knocked out by Rocky Lockridge, stopped by Julio Cesar Chavez twice, and although managing to knock down Pernell Whitaker still got soundly beaten by wide Unanimous decision and took some loss’s to lesser fighters on the way.

But do people tend to forget what he did do? After all, he was the Lineal Champion at 130, with 2 title defences and was ranked in or around the top 5 at 130 for four years running, beating top 10 fighters such as Jorge Alvardo, Kenny Baysmore and Lineal Champion (although past prime) Samuel Serrano. After a poor spell at 135 went on to win a World Title at 140 with 4 title defences and was ranked in the top 5 at 140 for two years running beating top 5 ranked fighters such as Rene Arredono, Terrence Ali and former world champion at 140 Vinny Pazienza. Roger Mayweather was a two weight world champion combining a total of 6 successful title defences and 6 years in the top 5 across 2 weight classes, finishing his career with a total of 59 wins (35 KO’s) and 13 loss’s. (He also won other titles such as the IBO Light Welterweight title and the IBO Welterweight Title).

Now Roger Mayweather was not ‘great’ by any means, but from an unbiased view I pose the question, is he a little underrated? Do people not give him the credit he deserves? Or are they right not to?

Also, do you think he should be considered for the Hall Of Fame for his boxing career combined with being the head trainer of a HOF’er for close to a decade? And if he were to, would he deserve it?

He's a good fighter......cagey. Watch his fights with Sweet Pea and KT.....he had some skills.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              This is very true, he appreciates ALOT of old time champions, alot. Especially guys from the mid west. Even guys like Chavez who beat him up on two seperate occasions who shows great respect for.

He talks trash and sometimes quite frankly he says ridiculous statments at times, but he also has alot of knowledge of the sport and when he's not being stupid he has alot of good to say. And although he does this it can be put aside when looking at what he did intemrs of boxing.

Her shows respect for Duran and former opponent KT aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                Nothing that I heard of. His biggest problem seemed like his chin wasn't as good as his skills.

prob had something to do with his chicken legs.....all his weight was up top....

Floyd got the best out of his gene pool. Roger and Floyd Sr have skinny legs, floyd must have his mothers legs.....they aren't skinny despite what people think. Look at Shane and floyd side by side @ the weigh in....Shane's torso is longer, his shoulders are bigger, his chest is thicker......alot of Floyd's weight is in his legs. Dude's calf measurements are the same as MP's i believe....it's just deceptive because Manny is short and compact, and Floyd is longer.

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
                  prob had something to do with his chicken legs.....all his weight was up top....

Floyd got the best out of his gene pool. Roger and Floyd Sr have skinny legs, floyd must have his mothers legs.....they aren't skinny despite what people think. Look at Shane and floyd side by side @ the weigh in....Shane's torso is longer, his shoulders are bigger, his chest is thicker......alot of Floyd's weight is in his legs. Dude's calf measurements are the same as MP's i believe....it's just deceptive because Manny is short and compact, and Floyd is longer.
                  He also didn't take training seriously according to Jesse Reid and the better conditioned you are the better the punch resistance.

Comment

He's a good fighter......cagey. Watch his fights with Sweet Pea and KT.....he had some skills.
                    Yeah, i watched both of those fights.

In the Whitaker fight he had some decent spells although he was pretty hopeless at 135.

I'm suprised you used the Tszyu fight as an example i thought that was a poor fight for him, I imagine due to it was near the end of his career at that point.

As you used two fights he lost, interestingly although stopped in Chavez 2, Roger had some very good spells and some close rounds, even as far as the round of the no mas he was doing well with the jab on the outside

Comment

Her shows respect for Duran and former opponent KT aswell.
                      He has the utmost respect for alot greats, stretching from Johnson to as recent as Tszyu. It's not true that he doesn't respect other champions.

Comment

Working...
                      X