No announcement yet.

Newbie in need of help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in need of help

Hi i have only been a member of this forum for a few days and the advice i have read on it has alredy been so much help . I have been doing some basic training i.e. weight lifting , running. cycling just to keep fit for about a year now at the moment i cant get to the gym.Are there any routines you could recomend using basic equipment like a weight bench and 20kg bag just to get me into shape i really want boxing to be part of my life i just need to get out of the rut i am currently in . If this helps i am currently 22 6,1ft and around 80kg any help will be greatly appreciated

With just weights and a small bag, there's not much you can do at home. You really should try to get into a gym. The only stuff you really can do would be cardio and callistenics. Running, sit ups, push ups, stuff like that. Shadow boxing or even hitting that bag wont do much for you, because you do not properly know how to punch.

I wouldn't even suggest hitting the bag, because as I said you do not know how to punch correctly, and could get yourself use to doing bad habbits.

If you have yourself as a trainer, you have the worst trainer in the world.

Find a gym.

Comment

I would basically echo Domey's advice: pushups, pullups, situps, and running are all excellent ways to get in shape.

Next step is to go to the gym. Don't worry about looking like a newbie - they see them all the time. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and soon you won't be!

Comment

thanks for the advice so far . ok i will stay away from the bag till someone is there to tell me im doing it rite . i havent got a trainer at the moment what is the best way to find one ?

Comment

Originally posted by BART531 View Post
          Hi i have only been a member of this forum for a few days and the advice i have read on it has alredy been so much help . I have been doing some basic training i.e. weight lifting , running. cycling just to keep fit for about a year now at the moment i cant get to the gym.Are there any routines you could recomend using basic equipment like a weight bench and 20kg bag just to get me into shape i really want boxing to be part of my life i just need to get out of the rut i am currently in . If this helps i am currently 22 6,1ft and around 80kg any help will be greatly appreciated
          find a decent boxing gym man, where do you live? i could look up some and see if theyre any good if you want......

Comment

Call the local ABA and they will recommend a gym for you. go for the most active/ mos succesful. Move house if you live in middle of nowhere and can only train or make love with sheep.

Comment

Before you sign up with anyone, visit ALL the boxing gyms near you. Watch a bunch of sessions. See how they work with their new boxers as well as the advanced boxers. Get an idea of what kind of training they offer, and ask some questions. Try to get a feel for who you "click" with. Talk to the other boxers and ask them about their experience at the gym - what they like and don't like, how long they've been there, what the training is like, how much sparring they do, etc. Learn as much about each gym and each trainer as you can before you make your decision. That's assuming you live in a place where you have options. If there's only one near you, you'll have to make the best of that.

Comment

Originally posted by JulioCesaChavez View Post
                Call the local ABA and they will recommend a gym for you. go for the most active/ mos succesful. Move house if you live in middle of nowhere and can only train or make love with sheep.
                Thanks great advice well the first bit anyway lol , im english not welsh so sheep really are not my thing

Originally posted by Uchi Deshi View Post
                Before you sign up with anyone, visit ALL the boxing gyms near you. Watch a bunch of sessions. See how they work with their new boxers as well as the advanced boxers. Get an idea of what kind of training they offer, and ask some questions. Try to get a feel for who you "click" with. Talk to the other boxers and ask them about their experience at the gym - what they like and don't like, how long they've been there, what the training is like, how much sparring they do, etc. Learn as much about each gym and each trainer as you can before you make your decision. That's assuming you live in a place where you have options. If there's only one near you, you'll have to make the best of that.
                Thanks for that that is some great advise i will definatly go to a few and not join the first and most convienient gym/club

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
                find a decent boxing gym man, where do you live? i could look up some and see if theyre any good if you want......
                I live in hertfordshire Hp4 england thanks in advance

Comment

my school is in herts
                  theres a boxing gym in New Barnet, EN5ish called Finchley boys club. You would have to go to the later adult sessions, but its a decent traditional boxing gym. i used to go there, but its too much of a treck, so i switched to a local gym.

Comment

If you live in England the abae's website is full of handy tips, as well as details of your regional secretary. People underestimate hom much the local aba can help them. Any ABA that are members of IABA will help you lace them up and get started.

Good job you ain;t from Wales or Yorkshire where they make love to moutons

Comment

Working...
                    X