Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn Actually Have Beaten Roy Jones Jr?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn Actually Have Beaten Roy Jones Jr?

Shame the fights didn't happen back in the 90s, but given Roy Jones seemingly poor punch resistance, would the highly skilled, power-punching Eubank, plus the highly aggressive and hard hitting Benn actually have beaten Roy Jones if they'd ever fought?

How do you think the fights play out?

Lol nah..................But i believe Joe Calz would have.

Comment

I don't think so. I think the prime Roy Jones would have no problem beating both of them. Jones would also beat Calzaghe in my opinion although he would have been more difficult to beat. Prime Jones was lightning fast with KO power in both hands. He was close to unbeatable. His punch resistance was good enough that nobody ever knocked him down. When Tarver knocked out a past prime Jones his punch resistance problems seem to start. I think Tarver was older than Jones but different fighters pass prime at different ages. This is just my opinion and nobody knows for sure who would win fantasy fights between greats of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
        Shame the fights didn't happen back in the 90s, but given Roy Jones seemingly poor punch resistance, would the highly skilled, power-punching Eubank, plus the highly aggressive and hard hitting Benn actually have beaten Roy Jones if they'd ever fought?

How do you think the fights play out?
        I don't believe so, but I'd have given Benn a better chance, because he'd have just jumped on Roy from the off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          Lol nah..................But i believe Joe Calz would have.
          I don't think he would have done.

I'd have loved to have seen Joe fight Benn.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            I don't think so. I think the prime Roy Jones would have no problem beating both of them. Jones would also beat Calzaghe in my opinion although he would have been more difficult to beat. Prime Jones was lightning fast with KO power in both hands. He was close to unbeatable. His punch resistance was good enough that nobody ever knocked him down. When Tarver knocked out a past prime Jones his punch resistance problems seem to start. I think Tarver was older than Jones but different fighters pass prime at different ages. This is just my opinion and nobody knows for sure who would win fantasy fights between greats of the past.
            Great post.

Roy and Tarver are the same age, but Tarver didn't turn pro until he was 28. He'd had less than half of the fights Roy had fought going into their fights.

Stylistically, I think Tarver would always have caused Roy trouble, but I think a peak version of Roy would have beaten him.

Comment

Yes they would.

Comment

Nope, I think he stops Benn and outpoints Eubank in a wide UD. He probably stops Calz too but more due to knock downs than actual damage. Ill admit Im more than a little biased but I dont think Roy loses to anyone in his prime.

Edit: Also I think his punch resistance was fine up until he did the see saw from heavyweight back down to LH. He just wasnt the same. He didnt have a granit chin but it was good enough.
                Last edited by Sun_Tzu; 02-28-2016, 11:28 PM.

Comment

lol y'all are tripping

Jones beats those guys, they might be a little competetive.

Froch and Calzaghe he destroys with no effort

Comment

No and no.

Comment

Working...
                    X