No announcement yet.

Thinking about bartending

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about bartending

Anybody here bartend before? not as just mixing drinks in a party but at an actual bar or business. I'm thinking about going to a one week class to get certified and start working somewhere.

I bartended when I wanted to turn pro and while I was fighting. It can be descent money with a flexible schedule.

I recommend learning all of your top shelf liquors, in fine dine restaraunt/bars you can make some exceptional money for your time.........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Actus Reus 21 View Post
      Anybody here bartend before? not as just mixing drinks in a party but at an actual bar or business. I'm thinking about going to a one week class to get certified and start working somewhere.
      I've done it before when I was still in active duty. I was in North Carolina at the time and I had no idea bars were actively looking for military to do part time, specially in the areas where there is huge military concentration.

I had a great time doing it even for a brief moment. I did it as a part time job, in fact a lot of the guys and girls I worked with were part-timers. It was a great way to make quick money during the weekends. The bartendending academy that I enrolled in was great, the course was a lot of fun. They didn't let you finish everything you made, they just let you have a taste.

Comment

I'd like to become one too! Only I'm starting as a barback at the Hard Rock to work my way up and learn things from experience.

Comment

Just apply for the jobs and learn on the fly. You'll get laughed at putting bartending college on your application. We used to laugh and throw out applications where the people had gone to one of those. Dick move, but we thought it was hilarious at the time.

I've bartended on and off for the last 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
            Just apply for the jobs and learn on the fly. You'll get laughed at putting bartending college on your application. We used to laugh and throw out applications where the people had gone to one of those. Dick move, but we thought it was hilarious at the time.

Every single bartending possition ive looked into said they wanted someone who has previous experience or is certified through a class/school.

Comment

Originally posted by Actus Reus 21 View Post
              Every single bartending possition ive looked into said they wanted someone who has previous experience or is certified through a class/school.
              Maybe it is different in some places, but yeah lots of places want experience so they don't have to slow down or train people. Try to get a job at an Applebees type of a place and work there a bit until you start to know every common drink then start applying at the good places where the real cash is.

Comment

Give em the bird.

Comment

Maybe it is different in some places, but yeah lots of places want experience so they don't have to slow down or train people. Try to get a job at an Applebees type of a place and work there a bit until you start to know every common drink then start applying at the good places where the real cash is.
                  Location is key for me because I know a brewery or a pub is not going to hire a minority. so that is out of the question for me lol

Comment

This is not as easy as you think it is. Most states require you to have an Alcohol Server Certification, essentially a bartending license. There's this thing called liquor liability and most states (if not, all) require establishments serving alcohol to have liquor liability insurance. If I recall correctly, it is the responsibility of the establishment to report the experiences/certifications of each of their bartenders. This effects the premium the establishment has to pay, so most of the time your average bars don't just hire anyone that puts an application in. The only time I've seen a bar hire anyone without proper documented training is when that person knows someone very well at the establishment.

Additionally, it's a big plus in terms of insurance premiums when bars hire active duty police or military to do part time bar bartending.

Comment

Working...
                    X