Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was more dangerous for Mayweather in 2007: ODLH, Margarito or Paul Williams

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was mayweather only limited to fighting one of them?

Comment

All three are tough, but I think margarito would have been the toughest fight for floyd,,, margarito would have turned it into a war.. Too big, strong, great stamina, great chin, great heart.. Floyd could easily steals really rounds from margarito, but after 4 rds, margarito would have really tried to impose his will on floyd,much like how he did cotto... No doubt this fight gets extremely physical in the 2nd half. Would mayweather holdup better than cotto is the question.

Comment

I feel both Williams and Margarito were more dangerous than Oscar at that time. Overall, i'd go with Margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
          What was Oscars last legit good win before the Floyd fight?

The guy was shot to bits against both Floyd and Manny. Lost to Sturm and got a gift and lost to BHOP....

Williams or Margarito would have been better fights against prime opponents but we know how that goes...
          If Williams and Margarito were so great and awesome then why did they lose to lesser fighters than Floyd during the same time period you claiming Floyd ducked them? If you lose to Carlos Quintana how exactly do you deserve a shot at Floyd?

Comment

Originally posted by Code Red View Post
            If Williams and Margarito were so great and awesome then why did they lose to lesser fighters than Floyd during the same time period you claiming Floyd ducked them? If you lose to Carlos Quintana how exactly do you deserve a shot at Floyd?
            Dude 99% of floyds opponents went into the fight against Floyd with losses to guys that were lesser fighters than floyd.

Making the analogy of well Paul lost to Quintana so he didnt deserve a shot st stupid as hell.

You are acting like everyone floyd fought was undefeated.

Comment

Originally posted by Code Red View Post
              Yeah it's unfortunate for them Andre Berto wasn't around to beat to "deserve" their shot ha....

Styles make fights, Castillo had like 5 losses and arguably beat Floyd in the first fight. Maidana had lost to Alexander and Khan but he went round for round with Floyd and lost a very close fight.

So, sorry, if Baldomir, Mitchell, Judah, Ortiz, Guerrero, Berto etc deserved a shot then I don't see why Williams and Margarito wouldn't have..

Comment

If I were to guess it'd Probably be Williams

Big , Tall athletic WW with power and a high output

But Mayweather had to grab the Oscar fight when it became available, huge name more accomplished and huge $ , that propelled him into cross over status

If Floyd fought and beat Margarito, Antonio instantly becomes a slow plodding no skill Mexican overnight and if he fought and beat Williams, Williams becomes a over hyped bum and we'd wonder why Mayweather ducked Oscar because he had all the tools to beat Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
                  If I were to guess it'd Probably be Williams

Big , Tall athletic WW with power and a high output

But Mayweather had to grab the Oscar fight when it became available, huge name more accomplished and huge $ , that propelled him into cross over status

If Floyd fought and beat Margarito, Antonio instantly becomes a slow plodding no skill Mexican overnight and if he fought and beat Williams, Williams becomes a over hyped bum and we'd wonder why Mayweather ducked Oscar because he had all the tools to beat Floyd.
                  yea thats how it would have played out. I dont think he ducked them. ODLH just made the most sense at the time.

Margarito was overhyped though, he was one of the first "most feared" tagged fighters.....their feared until they start facing elite guys and taking losses.

Comment

Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
                    Dude 99% of floyds opponents went into the fight against Floyd with losses to guys that were lesser fighters than floyd.

Making the analogy of well Paul lost to Quintana so he didnt deserve a shot st stupid as hell.

You are acting like everyone floyd fought was undefeated.
                    difference is they took a loss when the fights were being hyped by fans

Berto had this happen twice when he was undefeated and had one loss...they were building the fight and he lost to ortiz and guerrero

Berto was being groomed as his next opponent....When mayweather beat Mosley. Then Berto loses

thats how boxing works the demand for a fight goes down when one guy takes a loss during the time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                      yea thats how it would have played out. I dont think he ducked them. ODLH just made the most sense at the time.

Margarito was overhyped though, he was one of the first "most feared" tagged fighters.....their feared until they start facing elite guys and taking losses.
                      Being in Mayweathers shoes you'd be ******ed not to take the Oscar fight if given the opprotunity. He played the heel perfectly and made that fight the sucess it was and it propelled him to be the superstar he is today.

I'm a fan Antonio even though I think he loaded up on the gloves but karma came to bite in the a$$ later on. His style was perfect though for fans to latch on too. Not the most skilled but he won because of his massive nuts and heart and just tried to break your soul.His hype was running at a all time high because of how he beat Cotto so of course he was going to be the guy that beat Floyd ( obviously He was never anywhere near Mayweathers level ) If Margarito didn't hits the skids since being caught I have no doubt that he would have got a Mayweather fight and been made easy work out of But there'd be a new boogie man that was going to be the one beat Mayweather.

Comment

Working...
                      X