Collapse
No announcement yet.

The struggle of weight cutters - BBC article

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure why Day before weighins are even legal. Only a tiny percentage of boxers would be capable of fighting at their current weight class, if weighins were an hour or two before the fight. Rigondeaux would probably be the only big name guy that could do it, off the top of the head. He's entered the ring at 122 for a few fights, according to his social media.

Comment

yeah, was ridiculous how much jacobs was allowed to rehydrate

Comment

Originally posted by The Akbar One View Post
        Not sure why Day before weighins are even legal.
        Because there's another danger, which is fighters draining to make the scales, and then fighting in that condition. I saw it in jiu jitsu tournaments and it was scary. Friends of mine running laps around the building to sweat out an extra lb, then competing light-headed and dehydrated.

As a big believer in personal accountability, I say; fuk em. Do same-day weigh-ins and if they don't want to show up in-shape, it's their own risk.
        But, I do understand why some aren't down with that and that it threatens the sport if fighters get hurt from not being properly hydrated.

No easy answers on this one.

Comment

the ibf conducted a study and introduced same-day check weights of no more than 10lb above the weight category in an attempt to curb the super cutters, but if the guy doesn't want the ibf belt, the other sanctioning bodies dont seem to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
            Not the kind of BBC you like, but BBC the news agency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/item/a...a-d914e3f37f2a

Hopefully this kind of exposure will help people managing the sport to add more "second day" weigh ins or even come back to same day weigh in.
            Check out the video, very interesting:

This is another good one:

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              Because there's another danger, which is fighters draining to make the scales, and then fighting in that condition. I saw it in jiu jitsu tournaments and it was scary. Friends of mine running laps around the building to sweat out an extra lb, then competing light-headed and dehydrated.

As a big believer in personal accountability, I say; fuk em. Do same-day weigh-ins and if they don't want to show up in-shape, it's their own risk.
              But, I do understand why some aren't down with that and that it threatens the sport if fighters get hurt from not being properly hydrated.

Fighters should fight at their natural weight, instead of weight cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post

LOL a lot of guys are f#cking harsh on this one.

I still say it wouldn't be all that difficult with the science we have available & with some new science perhaps & figuring sh^t out a lil bit as you go to define a healthy walking around weight range for a fighter to compete at when they receive their boxing license. I believe HS wrestling is even doing this sorta thing these days so it can't be too complicated or costly. So basically you could give a guy a license to fight at a healthy walking around weight of 152-157lbs, but if he's too light or too heavy he won't be able to fight. You could even add certain protocol's to moving up or down with a commissions approval.

I think this is more reasonable than going back to the old ways that likely led to more deaths in the sport & also to prevent the sport within the sport of losing the most weight before a fight & gaining back up to a preferred weight for the actual fight. The hardest part would be finding the best criteria & equation for coming to an acceptable healthy walking around weight range. As difficult as that might be I suspect it'll still make the sport better & fairer than it is today in regards to weight loss/gain tactics used.

Comment

UFC/MMA needs more weight classes so the fighters wont have to drain the hell out of themselves, the jump in weight is too high too.

Comment

I remember we talked this when Mayweather use to get outweighed like 10 years ago. People laughed and accuse people of defending their "Boyfriend", I remember Miguel Cotto weighing in TWO days before his fight against Pauline Maglinaggi because he was the A-side and he was struggling to make weigh. They wanted him to have a FULL TWO days to rehydrate, I discuss it and we were called names like pussies... how the times has changed!

Comment

Originally posted by DARKSEID View Post
                      The british broadcasting corporation actually is the BBC I like lol
                      Dont lie phaggot. The BBC you like is actually Big Black C0ck. The thing attached to your boyfriend Jerome.

Comment

Working...
                      X