Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do most fans see Roman Gonzalez as a place holder...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These guys are asking for little RG to become two weight lineal champion to stay P4P ( and most of these newbs dont even follow the lower weights to give an opinion ) meanwhile the two guys that are competing at 175 have not cleaned out the division or become lineal...Stevenson is lineal. Pure discrimination I mean RG is held to ridiculous standards Kovalev just started to shine three years ago and Ward been out the game....how does that trump a decade of dominance vs. the best in four divisions and adding more weight than anyone else not named Ward?!

Now I have no problem with Ward taking it...but Kovalev beating up a smaller man that hasnt done nothing great in years .......Im sorry no.

Comment

Ward and Kovalev are top level p4p fighters themselves, and the winner of their fight will have a much higher quality win than Gonzalez, so they should be p4p #1 over him.

When two top 5 p4p fighters fight, typically the winner should be p4p #1 unless there's someone else whose done something similar and has the record to get the spot instead. Gonzalez doesn't. He can certainly make his case with certain wins, though.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        Ward and Kovalev are top level p4p fighters themselves, and the winner of their fight will have a much higher quality win than Gonzalez, so they should be p4p #1 over him.

When two top 5 p4p fighters fight, typically the winner should be p4p #1 unless there's someone else whose done something similar and has the record to get the spot instead. Gonzalez doesn't. He can certainly make his case with certain wins, though.
        P4P is not only based solely on resume or in this case a single victory ; skill must be accounted for and there is no better way to determine that than by beating top world and elite level consistently dominating ; there is no one in the sport that has close to ten years in the game without a break that has fought in multiple divisions with a P4P fighter in his resume ( Estrada ) and with #1. fighters across multiple divisions becoming lineal whilst maintaining a undefeated perfect record ( 45-0-0 ) with such a high KO % than Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez.

The argument that Ward-Kovalev proponents is basically that Ward-Kovalev is a better win and I agree it clearly is.....but this is not about who just recently got the better win.

Comment

for me it's going to come down to who looks the most dominant. if gonzalez struggles against cuadras and ward dominates kov, ward is #1 - and vice versa

however, even if ward or kov does take that #1 spot, i feel like gonzalez would have a great opportunity to snatch it back in 2017 by facing and beating inoue and/or estrada. the only way kov/ward could match that is if they managed to get stevenson in the ring, which i think is unlikely

so even if gonzalez loses top spot it may only be a temporary relegation

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
            P4P is not only based solely on resume or in this case a single victory ; skill must be accounted for and there is no better way to determine that than by beating top world and elite level consistently dominating ; there is no one in the sport that has close to ten years in the game without a break that has fought in multiple divisions with a P4P fighter in his resume ( Estrada ) and with #1. fighters across multiple divisions becoming lineal whilst maintaining a undefeated perfect record ( 45-0-0 ) with such a high KO % than Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez.

The argument that Ward-Kovalev proponents is basically that Ward-Kovalev is a better win and I agree it clearly is.....but this is not about who just recently got the better win.
            Of course not, but Kovalev and Ward are highly ranked p4p fighters in their own right. It's not like we're talking two guys who are just top ranked in the division. These are two of the 5 best fighters in boxing, and the winner of such a fight should be recognized as the best fighter in the world until proven otherwise. That win on top of the wins that have put them in the p4p top 5 is definitely enough to jump Gonzalez and make him respond with a win worth surpassing them.

Comment

You're spot on, there are many 'murrica brah' people on here who are automatically ready to place Kov-Ward winner as #1.

In my mind, if Chocolatito beats Cuadras in style, he's pretty likely to remain #1 P4P for me. The only way that changes if he doesn't look good, while the Kovalev-Ward has a clear winner - not a 1 punch KO, but a thorough domination on the cards ending wide a wide decision or a TKO.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                You're spot on, there are many 'murrica brah' people on here who are automatically ready to place Kov-Ward winner as #1.

In my mind, if Chocolatito beats Cuadras in style, he's pretty likely to remain #1 P4P for me. The only way that changes if he doesn't look good, while the Kovalev-Ward has a clear winner - not a 1 punch KO, but a thorough domination on the cards ending wide a wide decision or a TKO.
                This is pretty much my line of thinking. If Roman keeps winning it is going to be hard to dethrone him imo. He has several fights that can be made with guys that while not p4p top 10, are guys lurking close to it in Inoue, Estrada and possibly Yamanaka. I just don't see much at LHW that would allow the Kov/Ward winner to get on that kind of run. They may snatch the spot after they fight, but I got a feeling it will be short lived.

Comment

I think Kov/Ward winner will set the bar very high in terms of resume quality, it isn't an insult to RG's accomplishments to be #2 under the winner of that fight. He may make it a more difficult decision though with a win over Inoue or Estrada (again).

If Kov wins, he has wins over elite boxers in BHops and Ward in addition to stoppage wins over solid fighters eg Cleverly and Pascal.

If Ward wins, he'll have cleaned out one division then moved up to beat the best fighter in the next decision.
                  Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 09-06-2016, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Kovalev is no 2 p4p

/Thread

Comment

Who has Gonzalez beaten that is in the top 3 pound for pound?

Comment

Working...
                      X