Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do fans blame promoters or managers but never the fighter themselves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do fans blame promoters or managers but never the fighter themselves?

We have a lot of fans or fan boys blame Bob Arum, Haymon, Oscar, networks, etc. but why don't they blame the fighters themselves when fights don't happen? You do realize these fighters are grown men who are capable of making their own decisions so they should be hold accountable for their actions. I mean, they are the ones who signs the contracts and no one is holding a gun towards their heads when they sign. They choose their promoters, managers, and networks. Are people are blind by this or their fan boy syndrome so strong they are in denial? Speak up and tell us who do you want to fight and screw this "i'll leave it up to my manager or promoter". Okay, I'm done ranting.

In b4 the ban...

Comment

Fighters are a product, promoters/managers try to maximise the profit 'their' products make. So promoters will hype a fighter, match him against soft touches whilst building a good looking record than attempt to cash out.

A lot of promoters will have a fight between two of their own fighters, then drop the loser and continue to market the winner. It's a good way of making sure you aren't wasting your time with prospects when you have better.

Boxing is a sport but it's primarily a business. Man United vs Chelsea happens because they're in the same league, [INSERT AMERICAN SPORT RIVALRIES HERE]. This was the case when boxing only had one world title but as you can have multiple world titles, it's easy to be a world champion but not even be inside the top 10 of that division.

Comment

Originally posted by fallen_ego View Post
        We have a lot of fans or fan boys blame Bob Arum, Haymon, Oscar, networks, etc. but why don't they blame the fighters themselves when fights don't happen? You do realize these fighters are grown men who are capable of making their own decisions so they should be hold accountable for their actions. I mean, they are the ones who signs the contracts and no one is holding a gun towards their heads when they sign. They choose their promoters, managers, and networks. Are people are blind by this or their fan boy syndrome so strong they are in denial? Speak up and tell us who do you want to fight and screw this "i'll leave it up to my manager or promoter". Okay, I'm done ranting.
        Because this day in age much respect has been lost on fighter's accountability for their business decisions (fights). Floyd has set a standard and an example for young fighters that even being a free agent, it's okay to hide behind your adviser or manager. It's not wrong that Floyd does this because al haymon in all honesty can manage his career better because he has the business smarts to do so. But Floyd does get backlash probably more than any other fighter for this.
        It's just a loss of respect, that claiming you do what you want to do, when you want to do it, because your a free agent. And then at the same time saying Al Haymon has the final word. As for guy's like Pac, Bradley, and other's signed with promoters it's very cut and dry. No one expects these guys to make any decisions that go against there contractual agreement without getting into a major lawsuit, further putting their career in jeopardy. That's why it's a little a fishy when it come's to Al Haymon "advised" fighters. They say they make there own decisions but were starting to see that's not true with guys like Quillin. Makes you think that Floyd may be tied down to some kind of contractual agreement that takes away certain freedoms. If that's true then it's really not his fault either. Just the complicated world of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
          Fighters are a product, promoters/managers try to maximise the profit 'their' products make. So promoters will hype a fighter, match him against soft touches whilst building a good looking record than attempt to cash out.

A lot of promoters will have a fight between two of their own fighters, then drop the loser and continue to market the winner. It's a good way of making sure you aren't wasting your time with prospects when you have better.

Boxing is a sport but it's primarily a business. Man United vs Chelsea happens because they're in the same league, [INSERT AMERICAN SPORT RIVALRIES HERE]. This was the case when boxing only had one world title but as you can have multiple world titles, it's easy to be a world champion but not even be inside the top 10 of that division.
          Name me one titlist who you wouldn't consider top ten in their division.

Comment

Because they're boxer fans. They think their boxer is superman and everyone should bow down to what their favorite boxers say/believe. If someone like Floyd/Pac/Cotto were to say "2+2=5", their fans would believe it and defend it. If you get the logic.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
              Name me one titlist who you wouldn't consider top ten in their division.
              I'd say Jermain Taylor is at the arse end of top 10. 10 better boxers at lightweight than Ricky Burns when he held that title. Paul Butler/Stuart Hall are a couple more.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
                Because they're boxer fans. They think their boxer is superman and everyone should bow down to what their favorite boxers say/believe. If someone like Floyd/Pac/Cotto were to say "2+2=5", their fans would believe it and defend it. If you get the logic.
                That totally explains why u actually believe that there's no human way possible that Tony ever tried to cheat before the Mosley fight. And during the pre fight, he had no idea wtf capetilllo was putting on his hands right in front of his face.

Comment

'Cus then everyone would end up like Ward, and that would be bad for business all together

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Rigg View Post
                    That totally explains why u actually believe that there's no human way possible that Tony ever tried to cheat before the Mosley fight. And during the pre fight, he had no idea wtf capetilllo was putting on his hands right in front of his face.
                    Careful, you might just have him go into one of his Cotto rants again.

Comment

Working...
                    X