Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How well could Froch take Kovalev's power...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well could Froch take Kovalev's power...

...if Kovalev moved down or they fought at catchweight? Froch is known to have that Iron chin and Iron will but he's getting on a bit and has been hurt/put on his arse by much less dangerous and powerful punchers.

If Froch's performance v Groves really bothers you or sways your opinion of him in relation to this fight, judge him based on his form after the Kessler 2 fight.

Potentially, at slightly lighter Kovalev might lose a bit of that bang but I doubt it. In any case, there is a debate to be had here, what approach or attributes would be best useful or required to beat Kovalev - Andre Ward's superior boxing skills or Froch's toughness and ability to get stronger as the fight goes on?

Discuss...

I think he'd beat Kovalev

Like Lennox Lewis said on twitter, you can have brute force power like Wilder, but when you come up against a boxer with a good chin and knows how to tie you up. that power means nothing and then u realize u cant blast everyone out

Comment

I wouldn't know where to start trying to predict this fight, Froch has proved himself and proved he can take a punch but on the other hand Kovalev has not, how well would Kovalev fair with a few bombs to the chin?

Comment

Originally posted by JackTheLad View Post
        I wouldn't know where to start trying to predict this fight, Froch has proved himself and proved he can take a punch but on the other hand Kovalev has not, how well would Kovalev fair with a few bombs to the chin?
        Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
        I think he'd beat Kovalev

Like Lennox Lewis said on twitter, you can have brute force power like Wilder, but when you come up against a boxer with a good chin and knows how to tie you up. that power means nothing and then u realize u cant blast everyone out
        True, true...to be honest I think Froch could get sparked out early if he lets himself to get hit like Groves hit him in that 1st round (personally I thought he was out there and then when his eyes rolled back), but if he can handle the power like Cleverly did for a few rounds but actually land some in return and back Kovalev up a bit, then potentially tire him out and have that second wind in the second half of the fight, he could beat him.

Who's a better matchup for Kovalev though - Froch or Ward?

Comment

Above 168 I don't see Froch taking Kovalev's power well at all. At 168, I'm not so sure. It would be interesting to see how Kovalev took Froch's punches.

Fight will never happen though, Golovkin v Froch much more likely if anything.

Comment

He didn't take Groves very well at first, but I think that was partially due to the speed and not seeing the shots coming. Then again, KOvalev hits and hurts everyone he fights, with the exception of Boone. Toss-up IMO, lean towards Sergey though.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
              Above 168 I don't see Froch taking Kovalev's power well at all. At 168, I'm not so sure. It would be interesting to see how Kovalev took Froch's punches.

Fight will never happen though, Golovkin v Froch much more likely if anything.
              Similar situation if he fought GGG - if that did happen though how do you think the fight would go?

Comment

Kolalev wins. Froch is a sucker for a right hand and would take too many of them from Kovalev. Kovalev is a lot better and hits a lot harder than Groves and has far better footwork and balance also. IMO Groves was winning the fight so if that is the case and Kovalev is a lot better than him I can't see any other winner than Kovalev.
                Froch is getting on and the Groves fight shows he is slipping. Kovalev is on the up at this point in their careers Kovalev has everything going for him.

Comment

Probably worse than this...

...and no he wouldn't get back up.

Comment

Froch would hit the floor multiple times early. The only question is if he could survive and make Kovalev punch himself out. Not exactly a promising road to victory and obviously a fight that isn't happening as Froch didn't even want to step up to face Stevenson. He's been in enough tough fights to start picking stupid ones at this stage.

Comment

Working...
                    X