Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The all new, Mayweather/Pac Master Discussion Thread - The fight that will never be.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny had already lost before so it had nothing to do with Manny risking a fight that may be a loss for him. Floyd had that concern. If Floyd would have had a "1" in the loss column, I could have seen a better likelihood of this fight being made 3 years ago when it meant much more .....

Comment

• Since the Pacquiao fiasco, Mayweather has beaten two Top Three welterweights in Shane Mosley and Victor Ortiz and has engaged in a series of self-destructive mistakes in his personal life. Along the way, his legacy and reputation have been further damaged, likely beyond the point of repair.

However, what critics push as "being afraid" or "ducking" were merely the actions of someone frozen out of the picture by a jilted former promoter. Since moving up to welterweight, Mayweather has fought every other top fighter not affiliated with Top Rank (including four he was accused of previously ducking).

If Mayweather is guilty of anything, it's of being pig-headed in going along with Bob Arum's blockade and refusing to even acknowledge any of the Top Rank fighters being kept from him.

On the other side, if Arum had truly wanted his guys to face Mayweather instead of one another, he would've positioned his fighters within the WBC infrastructure when Mayweather originally held the belt. He could've then forced the issue by having them become mandatory challengers.

Instead, Margarito, Cotto, and Clottey were positioned in every other organization except the WBC— making it logistically harder for them to fight Floyd.

As for Pacquiao, well, the fight with Mayweather would've already taken place if not for Team Pacquiao's unwillingness to consider random blood testing on the one occasion there were actual, real negotiations between both sides.
      http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ycn-10258679

Comment

• quote: So that afternoon, I asked George Peterson, the trainer and manager of Paul Williams, who he believed would win the hypothetical Pacquiao-Mayweather clash of welterweight titans?

His responses were stunning.

Here is the official transcript...

Scoop: Who do you see winning Pacquiao vs. Floyd?
        Peterson: “It’s not gonna happen.”
        Scoop: You don’t think so?
        Peterson: “No.”
        Scoop: Why not?
        Peterson: “It’s not a fight that’s meant to be made. That fight’s just not meant to be made.”
        Scoop: Why not? Everyone wants to see it?
        Peterson: “A lot of people want to see it BUT THEY'RE NOT GONNA SEE IT.”
        Scoop: Mayweather doesn’t want it does he?
        Peterson: “Ah, that fight is not gonna be made.”
        Scoop: You’re saying it with a lot of certainty in your voice.
        Peterson: “Yes sir. Yes sir. If it was gonna be made it would be made by now.”
        Scoop: Who doesn’t want to pull the trigger? (I know Mayweather is the chicken here, just want to try to get more from the source.)
        Peterson: “I just don’t see it being made.”
        Scoop: You know something but won’t say it.
        Peterson: [Smiles].
        Scoop: Who would win, if it was made? Hypothetical. Just for fun?
        Peterson: “It’s not gonna be made. That fight is not gonna be made.”
        Scoop: I hear you, it’s not even worth wasting the energy on a fight that is fantasy.
        Peterson: “It’s not gonna happen.”----more from "http://www.examiner.com/article/the-man-who-knew-2009-that-mayweather-would-never-fight-pacquiao"

Comment

• Mayweather was always ducking Cotto, but as soon as Cotto leaves Top Rank Mayweather vs Cotto gets made? Interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chopper417 View Post
            Mayweather was always ducking Cotto, but as soon as Cotto leaves Top Rank Mayweather vs Cotto gets made? Interesting.
            Wrong ... its so easy to fool Floyd fans.

Floyd was ready to fight Cotto when he was not ready for that level of opponents. Same can be said for when he wanted to fight others. Some were green, some just got their feet wet in Floyd's division and some were no longer prime and some were older, some never fought in his division and some he sucker punched! lol!

In 2007/2008 everyone wanted to see Floyd vs Cotto ...... but what we saw in May 2012 was NOT the fight that everyone wanted to see. The risk was relatively low for Floyd and he was clearly the favorite going into that fight. Add the fact that Cotto was still one of the best draws at the gate made it easy NOT the risk factor.

Same can be said about Floyd vs Manny. 2009/2010 was the time for the fight but Floyd went on vacation. Floyd also went on vacation back in 2008!

If you check out Floyd's interviews its all there.

He is less concerned about legacy and way more concerned about money and health. If Floyd was concerned about legacy, he had the Manny fight for 3 years that he could have made. It even came with the bonus of that fight would have made him so much money that it was ridiculous to say no to .... but in the Bob Costas interview he said money is important but just as important is health NOT legacy .... and gave the Ali example to help Floyd fans understand but they still didn't get it!
            Last edited by ADP02; 01-03-2013, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
              Wrong ... its so easy to fool Floyd fans.

Floyd was ready to fight Cotto when he was not ready for that level of opponents. Same can be said for when he wanted to fight others. Some were green, some just got their feet wet in Floyd's division and some were no longer prime and some were older, some never fought in his division and some he sucker punched! lol!

In 2007/2008 everyone wanted to see Floyd vs Cotto ...... but what we saw in May was NOT the fight that everyone wanted to see. The risk was relatively low for Floyd and he was clearly the favorite going into that fight. Add the fact that Cotto was still one of the best draws at the gate made it easy NOT the risk factor.

If you check out Floyd's interviews its all there.

He is less concerned about legacy and way more concerned about money and health. If Floyd was concerned about legacy, he had the Manny fight for 3 years that he could have made. It even came with the bonus of that fight would have made him so much money that it was ridiculous to say no to .... but in the Bob Costas interview he said money is important but just as important is health NOT legacy .... and gave the Ali example to help Floyd fans understand but they still didn't get it!
              I can't believe its January and you still haven't gotten over manny getting knocked out. Does lying about the past make it any better?

Manny rejected floyd's $40 mil, no ppv offer and took less money for what he thought was an easier fight and got his ass beat. Soon as cotto left TR, the floyd fight got made quickly.

Lying about these facts will not change them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                I can't believe its January and you still haven't gotten over manny getting knocked out. Does lying about the past make it any better?

Manny rejected floyd's $40 mil, no ppv offer and took less money for what he thought was an easier fight and got his ass beat. Soon as cotto left TR, the floyd fight got made quickly.

Lying about these facts will not change them.
                Only Floyd fans think its the end of the world when their fighter lost. I was at my wife's friend's house the other day. They all said, yes it was disappointing loss but they were more concerned about Manny's health not that he lost

Manny has been one of the main attractions in boxing for the last several years. For Floyd to have said "NO PPV money for you, Manny" meant that Floyd didn't want the fight. Its clear for the rest of us but continue pretending what you will even in 2013! lol!

The Cotto of 2012 is not the same Cotto that we all wanted to see 5 years ago. The risk of an undefeated Cotto was too high compared to one that was in several wars and lost most of them badly. Cotto has less confidence today than he was when he was undefeated. Cotto used to throw more effective body shots then than now. Cotto had better stamina then than now. Just look at the Floyd and Trout fight for example.

Please tell me who Cotto has beat since the Mosley fight in 2007 that has impressed you? .... I will be waiting for your FACTS. It better be good!!! lol!
                Last edited by ADP02; 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Only Floyd fans think its the end of the world when their fighter lost. I was at my wife's friend's house the other day. They all said, yes it was disappointing loss but they were more concerned about Manny's health not that he lost

Manny has been one of the main attractions in boxing for the last several years. For Floyd to have said "NO PPV money for you, Manny" meant that Floyd didn't want the fight. Its clear for the rest of us but continue pretending what you will even in 2013! lol!

The Cotto of 2012 is not the same Cotto that we all wanted to see 5 years ago. The risk of an undefeated Cotto was too high compared to one that was in several wars and lost most of them badly. Cotto has less confidence today than he was when he was undefeated. Cotto used to throw more effective body shots then than now. Cotto had better stamina then than now. Just look at the Floyd and Trout fight for example.

Please tell me who Cotto has beat since the Mosley fight in 2007 that has impressed you? .... I will be waiting for your FACTS. It better be good!!! lol!
                  you are being disingenuous. floyd said no ppv, but also offered $40 mil, which is $12 mil more than mannyh made with the bulk of the ppv revenue. SO please stop acting like Manny wasn't profiting.

Your opinoins about risk are not facts. The facts are once Floyd destroyed Brussels, Cotto's camp nixed the fight. You should be man enough to admit this but you wont. Once cotto beat Marg and left TR, the fight was made with no problem.

So other than beating Marg, I don't know if he impressed that much. Perhaps thats why Manny tried to fight him at a CW before he signed for JMM 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                    you are being disingenuous. floyd said no ppv, but also offered $40 mil, which is $12 mil more than mannyh made with the bulk of the ppv revenue. SO please stop acting like Manny wasn't profiting.

Your opinoins about risk are not facts. The facts are once Floyd destroyed Brussels, Cotto's camp nixed the fight. You should be man enough to admit this but you wont. Once cotto beat Marg and left TR, the fight was made with no problem.

So other than beating Marg, I don't know if he impressed that much. Perhaps thats why Manny tried to fight him at a CW before he signed for JMM 4.
                    No .... for the biggest fight in who knows when and what was expected to break records, how anyone can think that one of these 2 fighters deserved none of the PPV? Remember that people wanted to see Floyd vs Manny not just Floyd .... If not for Manny as his opponent, Floyd would not be able to get over $100 million with anyone else. So Manny is a big part of that equation!!! ......

Cotto was not ready to fight Floyd just yet when Floyd fought Brussels .... I mentioned that already but not by name. Go back to my previous posts. I said Floyd wanted Cotto before Cotto was ready for that level of a fighter. That is why Floyd wanted that version of Cotto. Nothing new for Floyd as he has done that before.

I see you couldn't come up with anything impressive except you tried to say that the one-eyed version of Margarito who will never be the same! lol! See so you helped prove that since the Mosley fight in 2007, Cotto has not been the same. Therefore, he presented relatively little risk and that is why that fight was made with Floyd.

Comment

No .... for the biggest fight in who knows when and what was expected to break records, how anyone can think that one of these 2 fighters deserved none of the PPV? Remember that people wanted to see Floyd vs Manny not just Floyd .... If not for Manny as his opponent, Floyd would not be able to get over $100 million with anyone else. So Manny is a big part of that equation!!! ......

Cotto was not ready to fight Floyd just yet when Floyd fought Brussels .... I mentioned that already but not by name. Go back to my previous posts. I said Floyd wanted Cotto before Cotto was ready for that level of a fighter. That is why Floyd wanted that version of Cotto. Nothing new for Floyd as he has done that before.

I see you couldn't come up with anything impressive except you tried to say that the one-eyed version of Margarito who will never be the same! lol! See so you helped prove that since the Mosley fight in 2007, Cotto has not been the same. Therefore, he presented relatively little risk and that is why that fight was made with Floyd.
                      you keep doing that. you focus on "no ppv" rather than the amount manny was going to get. which is dishonest. If manny was only getting $25 mil your point would be valid. In lieu of ppv revenue, floyd was guaranteeing him $12 mil more than he ever earned. Thats not bad. yes manny is a big part, and $40 mil is a big number.

your last paragraph is ******ed. cotto made a fight with floyd as soon as he left TR. How come it wasnt made when he was with TR, which was chopper's point. you try and pivot to whether cotto was the same as he was in 2007. of course he wasnt. That would also mean he wasn't right when he fought manny. But that doesn't matter regarding this discussion.

Manny took a fight with JMM where he got about $28 mil WITH THE BULK OF THE PPV REVENUE, because he thought it was an easy payday. He got KTFO instead.

Comment

Working...
                      X