Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Murray become free agent, signing with Frank Warren?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Murray become free agent, signing with Frank Warren?

Frank Warren wants to make John Murray Britain’s next boxing superstar.

The legendary promoter believes Murray has what it takes to become his next world champion having already masterminded the careers of some of the sport’s biggest names.

Warren made global stars out of Ricky Hatton, Nigel Benn, Joe Calzaghe, Amir Khan and Prince Naseem – leading all of them to world titles.

Last year Ricky Burns became his latest world champion, winning the WBO super-featherweight crown, and now he believes Murray can go on to do likewise.

The undefeated European lightweight champion is a free agent after parting company with former promoter Mick Hennessey. He is considering his options as he looks to crack the world stage in 2011 – targeting lightweight king Juan Manuel Marquez and WBC champion Humberto Soto.

Warren believes he is the man to take the 26-year-old from Levenshulme to the next stage after seeing him blow away every domestic and European rival put in front of him.

“I think if he gets the right promotion then he could be one of the next stars,” said Warren. “He’s got the talent, he’s got a good trainer and good people behind him. He just needs somebody to help on the other side of the ropes.

“He’s been waiting for that big chance. I’d like to get involved. I think he’s a talent.

“You can only make stars out of people who can fight and if there’s one thing about him it’s that he can fight.”

Murray’s career is still waiting for lift off, despite an impressive record so far.

He boasts the longest undefeated record in Britain – with 30 fights – holds the European title and recently vacated the British crown after winning the Lonsdale belt outright.

His last six bouts have all been won by knockout, earning him a reputation as one of the most exciting fighters to come from this country since Hatton.

Warren was behind Hatton’s career-defining fight at the MEN Arena against Kostya Tszyu in 2005, which saw the Hitman become IBF light-welterweight champion and global name.

In 2009 Warren led Khan to the WBA light-welterweight title at the same venue as the Bolton star out-pointed Andriy Kotelnik.

Warren, who recently celebrated 30 years in the sport, believes Murray can become the M.E.N.’s next sell-out success.

“I think John and Ricky have different styles entirely,” he said. “Ricky built a big fanbase and was well-promoted, even if I do say so myself. John needs that as well.

“He needs the promotion to help build a big fanbase.

“Manchester’s looking for its next star. They need to get some shows going on at the M.E.N. again. It would be a great thrill and a pleasure to be back in Manchester.”

Murray is waiting to find out who he will take on next after successfully defending his European crown against Andriy Kudryavtsev with a ninth round stoppage last September.

He dreams of a clash with WBA and WBO champion Marquez but has been told he will have to wait before he can take on the world’s biggest names.

Roberto Diaz, who is the chief matchmaker at US promoter Golden Boy, says he still needs to build a name Stateside.

“A fight against Marquez? No,” he said. “There’s nothing in it for Marquez and everything for John. Marquez versus Khan, maybe. He’s a big name and there is the chance of a title in a fourth division.

“John needs to build his name in America first. I can see him fighting Victor Ortiz or Robert Guerrero – younger guys – because TV would buy it. But pay per view won’t buy it.”

A clash with former WBO interim champion Michael Katsidis is a possibility this year or a mouth-watering battle of Britain with Kevin Mitchell who is already promoted by Warren.

Meanwhile, Murray found himself in an unlikely position of third in a list behind the late Tony Curtis and Clint Eastwood in a recent competition.

A picture of Murray, taken by freelance photographer Chris Bevan was a bronze medal-winner in the British Institute of Professional Photographers awards for 2010. Bevan said: “John has a natural charisma that comes through and I got a great shot

Murray is average. A kinda poor man's Ricky Hatton. He'll be very lucky to win a world title.

Comment

Oh lord, I thought he was a warren fighter already.. Now we get to see him on the Hatton route, Bum bum and more bums, Mexican cab drivers, Ex-champ with a name (Probably 40 years old), then fight for a vacate title in front of 50,000 in the MEN arena..

Comment

Working...
      X