Collapse
No announcement yet.

I gotta ask my American bretheren...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] I gotta ask my American bretheren...

Browsing the net as usual, and for the 980963549783798th time, I came across a video of someone stealing somebody's package who was left at their front porch. Now please, let me ask you:

1) Why would someone ask for their package to be left in the front porch, where everyone who passes by sees it and can grab it any second? Are delivery people doing this on purpose? If you're not home, why don't they take it with them till they can get a hold of you?

2) Is the UPS forbidden to withhold the package of any customers in the USA? Can you not ask them to wait for you to pick it up where it is or in the post office or something similar?

I've seen so many videos where people complain about their stuff being stolen often, but seriously what is going on here? How does this work in the United States?

In here, the UPS guy just gives me a call on my cellphone to let me know he's coming and wants to know if I'm home. Anything else I get a notification paper on my inbox and go pick it up myself at the post office
    Last edited by Mighty_Windir; 12-14-2016, 05:48 PM.

Yeah the delivery guys do it on purpose. They ring your bell and if you don't answer almost immediately they put it at your door and leave. I don't know if they have your cell phone number in their system or not, but if they do they definitely don't use it. I think sometimes you have to specifically tell them signature required so they can't just leave it at the front of the door. And I believe you can have an option to pick it up at the UPS facility but no one uses that really.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
      Yeah the delivery guys do it on purpose. They ring your bell and if you don't answer almost immediately they put it at your door and leave. I don't know if they have your cell phone number in their system or not, but if they do they definitely don't use it. I think sometimes you have to specifically tell them signature required so they can't just leave it at the front of the door. And I believe you can have an option to pick it up at the UPS facility but no one uses that really.
      Sad as hell, so many people getting their stuff jacked because of this, I've never had this happen to me before, but people should go pick it up at the office if they don't trust delivery guys or have had bad experiences with them

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty_Windir View Post
        Sad as hell, so many people getting their stuff jacked because of this, I've never had this happen to me before, but people should go pick it up at the office if they don't trust delivery guys or have had bad experiences with them
        It really is and it's been happening more than normal this year it seems. My landlords sent out an email earlier this year because they were having so much theft from a lot of their properties and they own a ton of rental properties in my city. Luckily I rarely ever order anything off line but from now on I will pick it up at their office.

Comment

Isn't that the protocol?

I order stuff from Amazon Prime all the time and they either leave it in the mailbox if it's small enough, or just leave it on the front porch if it's a box. One time they threw it over the side gate for some reason. Luckily it was just clothes. And yeah, they don't care if you're home or not. They knock (sometimes) and then immediately just walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
            Yeah, I do the UPS My Choice thing where if you aren't home they drop it off at a kiosk near my place and I pick it up whenever. To get it out of the kiosk you need a valid id that you scan into their system so not just anyone can take the slip they left and use it.

I started doiing that because in my old building people would steal everything when the guys just left it out when no one was around . The landlord put up a tree with fake gifts and those ****ers even stole the fake gifts. LOL.

Comment

Well they simply don't have the time to just "come at your convenience"when you're there.

I've never seen them just leave a package at my door, there's always a note saying "first delivery attempt," second attempt will be tomorrow before 5PM (they don't even give you a window of time- just before a certain time).

Somebody has to sign for the packages, right?

But maybe that's just cause I live in an apartment building,and it'd be too easy for somebody to jack it?

Or maybe that was just FEDex that leaves the note at your door if you're not there and UPS will just leave it regardless?

Because I do remember at my mom's house, who kinda lives in a rural area, although it's still a subdivision, just the houses have really big yards and are all spread out.

Matter'o'fact yeah UPS did leave a package there at my mum's doorstep cause I came home and found one waiting there.

Maybe the driver sort of knows if you don't mind them leaving it there? Or maybe if you leave a note saying to leave it there?

Eh, IDK... But I agree, especially if you live in a sketchy area, the driver s would not just leave in there in the open.]

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty_Windir View Post
                Browsing the net as usual, and for the 980963549783798th time, I came across a video of someone stealing somebody's package who was left at their front porch. Now please, let me ask you:

1) Why would someone ask for their package to be left in the front porch, where everyone who passes by sees it and can grab it any second? Are delivery people doing this on purpose? If you're not home, why don't they take it with them till they can get a hold of you?

2) Is the UPS forbidden to withhold the package of any customers in the USA? Can you not ask them to wait for you to pick it up where it is or in the post office or something similar?

I've seen so many videos where people complain about their stuff being stolen often, but seriously what is going on here? How does this work in the United States?

In here, the UPS guy just gives me a call on my cellphone to let me know he's coming and wants to know if I'm home. Anything else I get a notification paper on my inbox and go pick it up myself at the post office
                If its marked valuable and you are not home to receive it, then it usually goes back to the UPS/Post Office warehouse/location.

Comment

Working...
                X